Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Z71 crew cab, and I just put new snow tires on the truck and thought about replacing the spare. My tire guy noticed that the spare is a 16 inch rim rather than the 17s that are on the truck.

Anyone else notice this?

Hoping a 17 will fit the spare spot, but that's rather annoying.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah. I’m gonna leave the 16” spare as is, and use it when I have OEM sized snow tires running on steel wheels. In about a year, I’ll be upsizing the AT tires, and for that, I’ve purchased a lightly used Z71 rim so all five ATs (and their alloy wheels) match for softroading and off pavement exploration.

Edit - the 16” steelie, IIRC, is an inch less deep. So it nestles up close to the frame. I believe the Z71 alloys are an inch deeper (width), so the wheel will have a bit less ground clearance on departure. But the lowest part is on the perimeter of the tire. IIRC, simply growing stock tire diameter (by upping the aspect ratio), while holding stock AT tire width, the tire won’t hang closer to the ground (than the crappy fat spare) even though the alloy rim does. That would be easier to explain with a sketch :)

BTW - adding 1” blocks to the leaf springs is an easy way to get that under-spare a bit higher off the ground. Even if it does nothing for clearance at the pumpkin or shock mounts.

Edit 2 - I’ve eyeballed the stock spare’s nesting location a few times. I’m pretty sure it’ll fit a 2” larger tire (diameter). This is a conversation about tire size and diameter, not wheel size. Use the tire calculator linked above to figure it out for whatever rims you plan to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts