Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

17 Inch Winter tires

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  oak1971 
#1 ·
For us Canadians and northern US drivers, I'm wondering what winter tires you are using...not many choices for the 17 inch rim....

#6 ·
I actually LOVE driving in snow and paid good tuition to the School of Hard Knocks for the education, it's the driving on ice that always gets my pooter in a pucker because when you lose it there all you can pretty much do is sit back and watch the scenery go by - it also makes reality out of the cliché: "some cars are may come with optional 4 wheel drive - but ALL cars come equipped with 4 wheel slide".

The only thing worse is when you see someone else who lost it coming at you with eyes big as pie-plates.

I love the first two snow storms of the season where the cars in the burrow pits are all either;
- New 4x4 drivers learning that with great traction comes great responsibility
- New snow drivers
- Those just a year more senile

#5 ·
The only thing I might possibly find negative would be the width, anything over 60's tend to want to ride up on the snow and slush more than the 'skinnier' tires but where ice/packed snow is concerned the width actually helps - but after blowing almost $800 bucks I'll convince myself to be happy no matter what...

#7 ·
Here in Wisconsin the winters can get very rough. I'm glad my ZR2 came w/ Goodyear Duratrac's. I had 33x11.5x16's on my Rubicon and I loved them when I had to drive to work and the roads were not plowed. Traction and steering were fantastic and if you were on a muddy trail, you could spin them up and they would clean right out. Pretty expensive in that size ($350.00 each), But I had 42,000mi. on them before I traded it in and I still had 5/32nds left on them before they hit the wear bars. Even on the Jeep they were not noisy. Could run with the windows down and still hold a conversation at freeway speeds. The biggest thing to remember is to rotate them on a regular basis. Good luck with your choices!

#8 ·
I think it would be fun as heck for about a week and then I would want it to go away.

I know what you mean about the ice. That's what happens here, it just happens differently and less frequently. We will get a little show during the day and it'll melt and refreeze overnight. As you probably know, we aren't very prepared for that sort of stuff down here. Probably got a lot of laughs when Atlanta pretty much shut down after about 3" of snow a few years back.

#9 ·
I plan on using the GM Dura-Tracs that are on the truck. Missouri winters are more mild than Ohio, which is still more mild than Wisconsin or Canada I imagine. But I've never had a problem with an AT tire on snow, or ice for that matter. Granted, only studded snow tires work best on ice, but a good AT on a 4x4 will allow you to at least GO on ice....it's just the whole STOPPING thing that leaves something to be desired :confused: Missouri like I said is more mild, so it seems like they get a lot more ice than Ohio did when I lived there.

I like driving in the snow usually. I remember when I still had my 2004 Duramax, we had got a decent amount of snow and I had nothing else to do that night, and no one was on the roads, so I went out and played around :) The few people I did pass gave me a weird look as I drifted around the corners. Wide open parking lots are good for doughnuts too. I dunno, I've driven on the snow enough that I guess I've learned how to drive even with just 2WD. It's mainly the other people on the road you have to watch out for.

Talking about tires though, I just got some new ones on my company pickup; Hercules Terra-Trac AT 2's. Like the tread on them a lot. I had these tires on my 2004 Duramax also. They are very quiet as well. Like that a lot.

#10 ·
Lived in Wisconsin my entire 48 year life. Never owned snow tires. Often drive in blizzards for fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.