Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are some problems with the settings at the beginning, but the speed is good, especially on a wide track is easy to accelerate. But there is one thing that is very dependent on oil. My friend took the same and just poured universal oil, but not here it was, constantly puffed and the speed dropped significantly, so it is necessary to pay attention to the oil and in case of what to choose specifically for it. I stopped at the Valvoline Premium Blue 8600 ES SAE 15W-40, because it has not yet had problems with speed and so on. But here it is necessary to look individually, considering the mileage and so on. So you can read about the best oil for duramax carfluidsexpert.com/top-5-best-oil-for-duramax/ and compare it with your car, so as not to complain about bad speed and so on. I have so far gone this way, because there are no problems with it, I am absolutely satisfied with the ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading through a number of different posts and comments on numerous topics, I have found a common theme. And perhaps you get this with any vehicle, I'm not sure. I wouldn't think you should get it with a brand new one however.

But that common theme is either; you absolutely love your truck and have had no issues with it after a couple of thousand miles, or; you absolutely hate it, or are at least very frustrated, and have had numerous issues within the first thousand miles.

My question is who has a good one and who has a bad one. Also, when did you buy your truck and is a Chevy or GMC. And if you have problems with it, what are they. Thanks.
After reading through a number of different posts and comments on numerous topics, I have found a common theme. And perhaps you get this with any vehicle, I'm not sure. I wouldn't think you should get it with a brand new one however.

But that common theme is either; you absolutely love your truck and have had no issues with it after a couple of thousand miles, or; you absolutely hate it, or are at least very frustrated, and have had numerous issues within the first thousand miles.

My question is who has a good one and who has a bad one. Also, when did you buy your truck and is a Chevy or GMC. And if you have problems with it, what are they. Thanks.
I must have a good one. Going from a 99 F250 Power Stroke extended cab the need for a diesel was a must but no longer needed the massive size. I bought a 2017 mini Duramax GMC Canyon SLT long bed. I still pull my 27 ft toy hauler camper with no issues and with much better fuel economy than the power stroke empty and without a trailer. Best truck I have ever owned hands down! First week I owned it I took a weekend trip across Pa from Philadelphia to Erie, a total of 842 miles round trip on one tank of fuel and getting an average of 41.2 mpg. I have had no major issues with it and only a very few minor things like the fuel guage not working intermittently at times and the wifi doing the same thing. Generally just shutting the truck off and restating it resolves the issues. I have since installed an additional 45 gal gravity fed fuel tank in the bed and am now capable of at least 2000 miles between fill ups, Best mod I have ever installed.
Now I get to choose the place and price of fuel while traveling and camping. Don't miss the old Power Stroke or the daily up keep of the rusty Ford truck woes. I totally love my GMC Canyon and look forward to getting more than the18 years I got out of the Ford.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’d say your odds of having a “good one” are pretty high. I’ve visited a lot of forums on the baby max and I would venture to guess that the number of bad experiences as a percentage of total vehicles purchased and in service is a fraction of a percent. Think about how many of these engines are out there every day humming along (like mine 😎) and it’s got to be tens of thousands of them!

I think in the grand scheme of things it’s reasonable to expect some number of defects and I don’t have specific data to validate my theory but I believe this configuration is not excessively unreliable if operated and maintained properly.

Just my $ 0.02 worth! I have a 2019 ZR2,with 20k miles and so far not a hitch. I pull a 21’ center console fishing boat and average 20 mpg which is 2x what I got with my gas Silverado.

Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are some problems with the settings at the beginning, but the speed is good, especially on a wide track is easy to accelerate. But there is one thing that is very dependent on oil. My friend took the same and just poured universal oil, but not here it was, constantly puffed and the speed dropped significantly, so it is necessary to pay attention to the oil and in case of what to choose specifically for it. I stopped at the Valvoline Premium Blue 8600 ES SAE 15W-40, because it has not yet had problems with speed and so on. But here it is necessary to look individually, considering the mileage and so on. So you can read about the best oil for duramax carfluidsexpert.com/top-5-best-oil-for-duramax/ and compare it with your car, so as not to complain about bad speed and so on. I have so far gone this way, because there are no problems with it, I am absolutely satisfied with the ride.
are those oils gm approved for the duramax in the twins? i read on and didn't see any mention of dexos2 approval or being appropriate for engines with DPFs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 2018 i bought new as a left over last november. i have had to replace one of the duramax emblems on the hood (was slightly corroded) other than that is has been PERFECT. i get 32 mpg unloaded and towing a open 3 rail motorcycle trailer it gets 25 mph and with a 18 ft enclosed (loaded with motorcycles) i get 18 mph.towing a 20 ft featherlite aluminum loaded with a car and motorcycles it gets 15 on flat land and ironically in the mountains i get 18 mph. i think the reason of better mpg in the mountains is it has so much torque it doesnt downshift much and then once over the mountain it free wheels down ,there by giving great mileage. i have been in the mountains 3 times now(22,000 miles on it now) and every time i get great mileage towing in the mountains. the truck is also very comfortable on long trips, i just got back from a 2,800 mile trip to boston from florida round trip could not be more happy with this truck. i have a gmc duramax dualie we bought new . this canyon is a great all around truck with great mileage. the dualie only gets 13 mpg empty or loaded so we only use it for heavy loads now.only thing i dont like about it is the location of the 4 wheel drive switch, i hit it fairly often with my knee when getting in and out. also the light switch next to it get hit as well. luckily it dings when not in the automatic lighting position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great truck I am around 12K miles.
I have had some weird minor things that i cannot thing of at the top of my head. but all dealers fixed easy peasy

My biggest complaint is the Regen Mode it happen to me 2-4 times a week. I believe because I do a lot of short local driving all city. I live in Los Angeles. Anyway is devastates my MPG's literal drop of 15-25MPG
My 2019 regens every 15 minutes at idle..but have never herd it well driving

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hated my truck, it sucked and it was scary weak when accelerating, i even thought to myself what a mistake buying this truck.
Then i got tuned and wholly **** what a difference!!
I want to keep my truck now :)

181 - 189 of 189 Posts