Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I bought a 2019 Colorado ZR2 Duramax on Monday 03/11/19. On 03/17 the check engine light came on. On 03/21 I took it back to the dealer. They called and said it was the #3 injector. I learned today that it is the injector tube that goes from the rail to the #3 injector. They are telling me that GM is aware of the issue (bad tube design that causes the injector to fail) and is working on a redesign of the tube. As of now they do not have an ETA of the redesigned tube. For the 6 days I got to drive the truck I absolutely love it. GM gave me a 2019 Z71 Colorado V6 to drive until then and all I can say is that I miss my ZR2 Duramax.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hello, I bought a 2019 Colorado ZR2 Duramax on Monday 03/11/19. On 03/17 the check engine light came on. On 03/21 I took it back to the dealer. They called and said it was the #3 injector. I learned today that it is the injector tube that goes from the rail to the #3 injector. They are telling me that GM is aware of the issue (bad tube design that causes the injector to fail) and is working on a redesign of the tube. As of now they do not have an ETA of the redesigned tube. For the 6 days I got to drive the truck I absolutely love it. GM gave me a 2019 Z71 Colorado V6 to drive until then and all I can say is that I miss my ZR2 Duramax.
That is completely suck for a brand new truck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Sounds similar to the 2004 and 2005 LLY Duramax engines. They made the wiring harness that went to injectors 2 and 7 too short, so the stress of being too tight and bouncing down the road would eventually cause them to break or fail and then you had a truck that wouldn't run (well, it did, but it was with a terrible miss). People said you could temporarily fix it if you were on the side of the road say, if you had an ice pick with you. Just jam the wires back down in there I think it was and you could probably at least make it home o_O

But anyways, sorry to hear that about your truck Gwzr2d2. I guess at least it happened while in warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my... erm... truck?

Been a while since I've been on here and hopefully I'll be active again. As for the update, got rear-ended by knucklehead looking at some rocks (literally the guy admitted he was looking at some rocks at a rock facility) o_O

Anyways, that was on July 10th - my 1st anniversary with my wife! Not to mention I was on the phone with her when I got hit! :eek: Now, it has been almost 3 months and still no truck. It hasn't been totaled, but I did rack up a fancy bill of $32,000!!! The autobody shop is saying another week and half.

On the plus side, these little trucks can take a whopping and still get you home! I drove it another 7 miles dropping parts and crabwalking all the way there! But hey, she saved my life and I'm still walking.

Now for when I do get it back, needless to say the value has dropped.... she's getting lifted real quick!
View attachment 4873 View attachment 4881 View attachment 4889

Didn't even have the plates yet! haha

Well I was waiting for the light to change and bang. Hit from behind. I jumped out and looked at the woman in her van and said are you for real, what the fk were you doing to run into the back of my new $50,000 truck.
Are you fking blind? What the fk.
She starts crying and says I guess I didn’t press down on the brake pedal hard enough.

I felt bad for making her cry. And apologize for all the swearing.
2,700 in damage.

As far as the truck has been. It’s been impressive to say the least.
10,500 miles and works great. No issues.
I can’t tell when it’s doing a regeneration. I don’t see any mileage change or any different noises.
One time I got out and could smell what seemed like rubber burning. I checked the exhaust tip and it was HOT. So figure it was doing a regeneration when I shut it off.

I would like to see a bit more braking power and less turbo lag off the line.

Love the electric power steering.
I don’t think the transmission programming is correct by a long shot.
2018 long box. I have pushed this thing real hard taking off ramps. It handles very well for its size. You can really throw it around.

Rob

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
An engine and transmission tune would really help out your turbo lag issue and the trans shifting. Much smoother.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For the record, still love mine. 27k miles now. My wife loves it too... I got promoted and get a new company car every 8k miles, so we were going to sell it. But she drove it through the winter and likes it, so now it'll probably end up being our 3rd vehicle and allow us to make some modifications to her wrangler to make it even more capable offroad, but less highway friendly...

We took the Colorado on a long weekend in Manistee at a cabin... Took about 10 miles of snowmobile paths ba k to the cabin after spending half a day downtown... Did great in 2WD even with some snow and slop still there from that last 8" snowfall they got a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Colorado and love it. I got 31 miles per gallon on the flat no stopping just 80 miles of driving. I average about 27.5 miles per gallon overall, this is by far the best truck I have ever had. I have a trailer I tow, just big enough to put a Honda Pioneer 700 on it, hardly know its back there. With that I get about 17 or so. I have had only on issue and it has happened more than once. The fan for the heat and ac will not register on the screen, on the dial it says how fast the fan is turning but not on the screen. After I have turned the truck off for 10 minutes or so it works fine again. Anybody know what's happening?

·
Registered
17 Posts
After reading through a number of different posts and comments on numerous topics, I have found a common theme. .
First post. 2016 2.8 diesel bought new. I have 50,000 miles on it now. I had some issues in the beginning all where fixed with recalls. I tow a dual axel Ranger z519 everywhere for tournament fishing. I stopped putting it in tow mode and let my trailer do the braking and it works much better. I love the truck because of the size and towing capacity, which I am pushing the the towing limit.

I have seen a post were you “fixed” your truck. What do you mean?

·
Registered
79 Posts
First post. 2016 2.8 diesel bought new. I have 50,000 miles on it now. I had some issues in the beginning all where fixed with recalls. I tow a dual axel Ranger z519 everywhere for tournament fishing. I stopped putting it in tow mode and let my trailer do the braking and it works much better. I love the truck because of the size and towing capacity, which I am pushing the the towing limit.

Most of the time when any of us say "fixed" we mean tuned and deleted.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

What he said is correct: tuning and deleting. Not that I had anything wrong with my truck, but I wanted to make sure it stayed that way and hopefully lasts longer and is more reliable overall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had my first bout of hate for my truck this weekend. Was on country roads in Ohio, 55mph speed limit. Ended up behind a big truck with an oversized load who was bouncing between 52 and 58. Couldn't see around the truck and a string of cars was building behind me. So I found what I thought was an opportunity and mashed the accelerator and pulled out to pass.

The truck fell on its face, I didn't even reach the back of the truck before I realized it wasn't going to happen and had to slow down and tuck in behind again.

Few miles later, more cars built up behind, I found another opened and did the same thing, but I had enough room to pass this time, but not by much.

The truck has never felt so underpowered and incapable. Makes me realize just how little headroom it has when accelerating up to speed. Never wanted the extra ~100 horsepower of the V6 so much...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Had my first bout of hate for my truck this weekend. Was on country roads in Ohio, 55mph speed limit. Ended up behind a big truck with an oversized load who was bouncing between 52 and 58. Couldn't see around the truck and a string of cars was building behind me. So I found what I thought was an opportunity and mashed the accelerator and pulled out to pass.

The truck fell on its face, I didn't even reach the back of the truck before I realized it wasn't going to happen and had to slow down and tuck in behind again.

Few miles later, more cars built up behind, I found another opened and did the same thing, but I had enough room to pass this time, but not by much.

The truck has never felt so underpowered and incapable. Makes me realize just how little headroom it has when accelerating up to speed. Never wanted the extra ~100 horsepower of the V6 so much...
That was one of the reasons I tuned (and deleted). Truck has no problems passing anyone, or reaching 90+ mph (did realize I was going that fast when I passed someone).

I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic and the truck fell on its face trying to cross all lanes. It was terrible. Highly recommend tuning and deleting if you can. You won’t regret it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading through a number of different posts and comments on numerous topics, I have found a common theme. And perhaps you get this with any vehicle, I'm not sure. I wouldn't think you should get it with a brand new one however.

But that common theme is either; you absolutely love your truck and have had no issues with it after a couple of thousand miles, or; you absolutely hate it, or are at least very frustrated, and have had numerous issues within the first thousand miles.

My question is who has a good one and who has a bad one. Also, when did you buy your truck and is a Chevy or GMC. And if you have problems with it, what are they. Thanks.
I have a 2018 Colorado diesel z71 crew cab extended bed l have just put 49364 miles on it bought it new for $43000 love it only problem I’ve had is the driver seat is ripping where I slide in and out .i get average 28 miles to gallon and it’s only had the fuel filter replaced once the truck still has the original tires on it so so far nice truck will go eany where and I’ve pulled a John Deere tractor and trailer that ways 6400 lbs around in Virginia mountains and still got 19. 2 miles to gallon love it

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 Colorado LT 2.8L has been at the dealer for 11 weeks waiting on parts! GM had backordered injectors for months, now they are in still waiting on HP fuel lines to become available no ETA as of yet. 2 other 2.8s at sa.e dealer waiting on same parts, one has been there for almost 4 months.

I really did like my Colorado but have lost confidence in GM again. Eyeballing a F150 crew cab Platinum with the LB and 3.5 twin turbo. Test drove one last week and was very impressed with it, towing and payload #s are awesome. No DEF and particulate issues to deal with. Lower cost of gas vs diesel should make MPG costs very close while offering a huge cab, more bed cargo room, higher payload and towing capacity. Never thought after the 6.0 and 6.4 powerstroke fiascos I'd ever consider another Ford but Ford never left me with out a truck for more than a week or so, not months!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I was waiting for the light to change and bang. Hit from behind. I jumped out and looked at the woman in her van and said are you for real, what the fk were you doing to run into the back of my new $50,000 truck.
Are you fking blind? What the fk.
She starts crying and says I guess I didn’t press down on the brake pedal hard enough.

I felt bad for making her cry. And apologize for all the swearing.
2,700 in damage.

As far as the truck has been. It’s been impressive to say the least.
10,500 miles and works great. No issues.
I can’t tell when it’s doing a regeneration. I don’t see any mileage change or any different noises.
One time I got out and could smell what seemed like rubber burning. I checked the exhaust tip and it was HOT. So figure it was doing a regeneration when I shut it off.

I would like to see a bit more braking power and less turbo lag off the line.

Love the electric power steering.
I don’t think the transmission programming is correct by a long shot.
2018 long box. I have pushed this thing real hard taking off ramps. It handles very well for its size. You can really throw it around.

Rob
The turbo lag and transmission can be fixed by using. GDE tune. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMG_2309 - Copy.jpg
Purchased my 2019 Colorado ZR2 Diesel about 3 weeks ago. Closing in on
IMG_2279.jpg
IMG_2309 - Copy.jpg
miles and so far not a whiff of a problem (I hope I'm not jinxing myself!) I really love it. I have had Silverado's most of my life and driving this rig is a real treat! I live in St. Louis and am downtown for business often. I've had some real adventures in parking garages in my full size trucks. This thing feels like a sports car to me. I love the way it sounds and it's aggressive stance. My 20' center console boat/150 HP Motor are barely noticeable back there. I have to remind myself to make wide turns!

Seems like the majority here are having good luck in general, I hope for the others that they get it resolved and can start logging some fun miles!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
View attachment 8321 Purchased my 2019 Colorado ZR2 Diesel about 3 weeks ago. Closing in on View attachment 8319 View attachment 8321 miles and so far not a whiff of a problem (I hope I'm not jinxing myself!) I really love it. I have had Silverado's most of my life and driving this rig is a real treat! I live in St. Louis and am downtown for business often. I've had some real adventures in parking garages in my full size trucks. This thing feels like a sports car to me. I love the way it sounds and it's aggressive stance. My 20' center console boat/150 HP Motor are barely noticeable back there. I have to remind myself to make wide turns!

Seems like the majority here are having good luck in general, I hope for the others that they get it resolved and can start logging some fun miles!

Dave
Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but as soon as you feel comfortable, delete and tune that sucker. Then you will really get to see what an awesome truck you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Would the tune you recommend void the warranty? I ask because I purchased an aftermarket 6 year/100K mile bumper to bumper warranty that includes all of the emissions system components. Also, not sure if the issues the the tune fixes are covered, they may see themm as normal "wear & tear" like brakes, tires etc.

Dave

101 - 120 of 144 Posts