Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Would the tune you recommend void the warranty? I ask because I purchased an aftermarket 6 year/100K mile bumper to bumper warranty that includes all of the emissions system components. Also, not sure if the issues the the tune fixes are covered, they may see themm as normal "wear & tear" like brakes, tires etc.

Dave
Yes it does void the warranty.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
View attachment 8321 Purchased my 2019 Colorado ZR2 Diesel about 3 weeks ago. Closing in on View attachment 8319 View attachment 8321 miles and so far not a whiff of a problem (I hope I'm not jinxing myself!) I really love it. I have had Silverado's most of my life and driving this rig is a real treat! I live in St. Louis and am downtown for business often. I've had some real adventures in parking garages in my full size trucks. This thing feels like a sports car to me. I love the way it sounds and it's aggressive stance. My 20' center console boat/150 HP Motor are barely noticeable back there. I have to remind myself to make wide turns!

Seems like the majority here are having good luck in general, I hope for the others that they get it resolved and can start logging some fun miles!

Dave
If you live down in the city, make sure to get it out on the highway if you can a couple times a week for like 30 minutes at least and doing 45mph or faster to make sure you get the DPF heated enough do burn cycles. Otherwise, you’re going to have issues with the DPF plugging up.

To what GMforlife recommended about tuning and deleting. Since you live in St. Louis county (St. Charles county is also the same and I imagine whatever county KC is in is also the same), they do emissions testing. Granted, Missouri just extended their vehicle inspections to 10 years or 150k miles I think it was, that doesn’t really help you unless you move out of the city. If you delete the truck, they’ll catch it immediately when they do an emissions check on your truck. You would have to live outside the city in a rural county, like Lincoln, Warren, or Pike (I live in Wright City in Warren County).

Tuning can be done without deleting. I can’t speak to what affects it would have on the emissions equipment. As in, if it would cause the EGR or DPF to plug up faster. I haven’t heard of anyone who is emissions intact tuned who HAS had issues so perhaps it can be done with no problems. Both American Diesel Power and GDE offer intact emissions tuning (ADP’s is in development at the moment). But you are guaranteed to not have any emissions problems if you delete. I personally have my truck tuned and deleted by American Diesel Power. It definitely wakes the truck up. Was trying to cross 4 lane Highway K in O’Fallon and the truck kind of fell on it’s face and freaked me out. It finally caught up to itself and off we went rather fast, but it gave me a scare. Don’t have that problem anymore though :cool:

If you ever want to see how tuned/ deleted truck runs, maybe we can meet up some time and you can give it a drive. Hope this all helps you. Oh, and yes, tuning (even emissions intact) will void your warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Burgess159 thanks for the offer! I do get out on the highway often. I travel for work and if it's 6 hours or less to drive I skip the whole airport/rental car/ get stuck by bad weather circus! Much rather see the countryside and burn off my emissions components. I'm also using a fuel additive that is supposed to reduce the amount of ash created. We'll see how that goes.

I was able to find comprehensive 6 year/100K mile extended warranty that includes emissions components. I'll be ready for that tune the second that warranty expires!

Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am active on the CO Fans forum and tripped across this one.

About my truck - have had my '17 Canyon SLT 4x4 CCLB since new, it has 35K miles on it now, been running GDE's engine and transmission tunes on it since 10,000 miles. The truck with these tunes is awesome! Averaging 27.5 MPG since tuning it, the truck was at 25.4 MPG stock. The truck has stock size Cooper AT3 LT tires on it, and despite that it still gets better than stock fuel economy with the tune.

With EGR turned off, the oil stays clean, looking the same as it would from any gas engine. The DPF works far less hard too with the hotter cleaner combustion, regen intervals are around every 750 miles per OBD Fusion. GDE's latest tune turns DEF back on, which I like, as draining the tank every two years or so to get the stale DEF out to avoid a code is a moderate PITA, and keeping DEF on at least partially handles the increased NOx of no EGR, a fair trade I think. Just filled it today, seeing 750 MPG on the DEF, which is a higher usage rate than it was stock, but not a burden in any way.

My truck is an SLT, love the leather seats and the Bose system is tonally accurate and cranks up quite nicely. It may not be a competition audio system by any stretch, but it is very good audio for moderately audiophile oriented grownups. Feed it a good signal (FM radio sucks) and it sounds very good. I use my phone, Android Auto works well, and I really like GM's infotainment system. It is fast and easy to navigate.

Knock on wood I suppose, but have not had one single reliability issue with the truck, no CELs, no problems of any kind. Everything works well, and the truck is the right size. Big enough, but not too big, just what I wanted. It does lean some to the driver's side, they all seem to do that. I guess I should address the lean, but I don't care that much. Very pleased with the truck, and hope to drive it until I reach destination Geezerville! Would buy another one in a heartbeat, but hoping this one goes the distance, am quite attached to it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like it for the most part but have some cons to it:

Low horsepower... The acceleration is kind of slow. It could have used another turbo or should have been a v6 or i6 engine for more grunt.

DPF Regens.... It Regens at the worst possible times I do a mix of city and highway it seems to always Regen when I'm in town.... Also the length of which it takes to do a Regen cycle is annoying... It wants you to drive around aimlessly for 20 minutes to waste fuel.
I've driven straight trucks that can do a parked Regen and I see it burning the stuff off..... GM should have done a parked Regen option.

Overall I love it I have about 65000 miles on it but I had to put an intake in it.... It was really lacking in pep and the intake woke it up.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I like it for the most part but have some cons to it:

Low horsepower... The acceleration is kind of slow. It could have used another turbo or should have been a v6 or i6 engine for more grunt.

DPF Regens.... It Regens at the worst possible times I do a mix of city and highway it seems to always Regen when I'm in town.... Also the length of which it takes to do a Regen cycle is annoying... It wants you to drive around aimlessly for 20 minutes to waste fuel.
I've driven straight trucks that can do a parked Regen and I see it burning the stuff off..... GM should have done a parked Regen option.

Overall I love it I have about 65000 miles on it but I had to put an intake in it.... It was really lacking in pep and the intake woke it up.
Get the truck an engine and transmission tune if you really want to wake it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 GMC with the 2.8 in it. I want to love the truck, the ride is good, the engine runs great. Its everything strapped to it that seems to have had issues. Out the gate the DEF pump was no good and had to be replaced (made worse by the replacement was no good as well). Electric fan clutch shorted out due to chafing on the control wire. Issues with the key being locked into the column (still have that issue they've replaced the shifter and that worked for some time then had to bring it back in again for same problem they claim its due to dirty key).

I separated this next issue as anyone with the 2016 through I believe 2019 should be aware. I had an issue where the truck would have rough shifting between gears and then have issues with over rev then almost stall. This was a torque converter issue, and GMC/Chevy is very much aware of this as they released a replacement bulletin. It is not a full recall and they will only replace it if there is an issue. The replacement is a redesigned converter and not what was in it originally.

My latest issue is a Christmas tree of lights just before Christmas, all issues point to the DEF and or Re-gen system as the error codes that came up was failure in DEF delivery and exhaust system failure. I also reported that it had been some time since I've gotten a Re-Gen indication and I am very aware of the issues if you miss one. The truck is still in the ship with the codes cleared but no diagnostic test is turning up an issue.

I want to love the truck, and I do a lot of mileage per year so I got a diesel figuring they would last longer. Might go back to the gas job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2016 GMC with the 2.8 in it. I want to love the truck, the ride is good, the engine runs great. Its everything strapped to it that seems to have had issues. Out the gate the DEF pump was no good and had to be replaced (made worse by the replacement was no good as well). Electric fan clutch shorted out due to chafing on the control wire. Issues with the key being locked into the column (still have that issue they've replaced the shifter and that worked for some time then had to bring it back in again for same problem they claim its due to dirty key).

I separated this next issue as anyone with the 2016 through I believe 2019 should be aware. I had an issue where the truck would have rough shifting between gears and then have issues with over rev then almost stall. This was a torque converter issue, and GMC/Chevy is very much aware of this as they released a replacement bulletin. It is not a full recall and they will only replace it if there is an issue. The replacement is a redesigned converter and not what was in it originally.

My latest issue is a Christmas tree of lights just before Christmas, all issues point to the DEF and or Re-gen system as the error codes that came up was failure in DEF delivery and exhaust system failure. I also reported that it had been some time since I've gotten a Re-Gen indication and I am very aware of the issues if you miss one. The truck is still in the ship with the codes cleared but no diagnostic test is turning up an issue.

I want to love the truck, and I do a lot of mileage per year so I got a diesel figuring they would last longer. Might go back to the gas job.

Sorry to hear about your issues, is GM is fixing them under the power train warranty? I really like my 2.8 and hope it stays that way. I have already decided I like the truck enough that if the emissions crap starts to make the vehicle unreliable then a delete will be soon to follow......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues, is GM is fixing them under the power train warranty? I really like my 2.8 and hope it stays that way. I have already decided I like the truck enough that if the emissions crap starts to make the vehicle unreliable then a delete will be soon to follow......
I just got it back from them today. I should note that I've put 60,0000 on it (a lot of commuting). I'm into the extended warranty with the exception of the power-train. Currently no finding, they did see the error codes for DEF Heater 1 and 2 but with testing couldn't find anything wrong. Unfortunately the heaters do not engage until temperatures hit 12F or below, and of course the weather has been summeresk in New England since then. Wait and watch for now I guess. I have a good dealer that does try to help me when they can so no complaints there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After reading through a number of different posts and comments on numerous topics, I have found a common theme. And perhaps you get this with any vehicle, I'm not sure. I wouldn't think you should get it with a brand new one however.

But that common theme is either; you absolutely love your truck and have had no issues with it after a couple of thousand miles, or; you absolutely hate it, or are at least very frustrated, and have had numerous issues within the first thousand miles.

My question is who has a good one and who has a bad one. Also, when did you buy your truck and is a Chevy or GMC. And if you have problems with it, what are they. Thanks.
After reading through a number of different posts and comments on numerous topics, I have found a common theme. And perhaps you get this with any vehicle, I'm not sure. I wouldn't think you should get it with a brand new one however.

But that common theme is either; you absolutely love your truck and have had no issues with it after a couple of thousand miles, or; you absolutely hate it, or are at least very frustrated, and have had numerous issues within the first thousand miles.

My question is who has a good one and who has a bad one. Also, when did you buy your truck and is a Chevy or GMC. And if you have problems with it, what are they. Thanks.
I purchased my 2016 GMC Canyon in April of 2016. I currently have 186,395 miles on it. Changed the timing belt and water pump at 145,000 or so miles. Put a Duramax tune on it from Duramax tuners after 100,000 miles. Drove it in all wheel drive/ for over 140,000 before it went into service 4 wheel drive light. Changed module, and switch, and fuse. Still get the service 4 wheel drive. Everyday, just hit acknowledge on the steering wheel and keep going. Everything works fine. Every so often I get either a O2 sensor warning light and even 1 time it went into limp mode. Plugged in my spade, deleted the code and off I go. Has not come back for 15,000 miles. My only advice is drive it like you stole it, put miles on it, never get DEF from the pump. Mine has been abused, misused and I flat out love it.
Texas Redneck

·
Registered
147 Posts
For those of you who work on your own vehicles, reset your own codes, load tunes that nobody can get anymore, and love this truck with all its faults – please read no further.

IF however you need a reliable safe vehicle that you, your wife, or children can drive without unreasonable mechanical knowledge or worry then here is my take (or rant).

I have lost total confidence in this truck and GM since I value mine and my family’s life more than the programming in this truck does. I will be getting rid of it ASAP when it (again) comes back out of the shop and is *hopefully* fixed - they’re just guessing it’s the ECM at this point.

So, let’s go over my top reason for hating this truck followed by its three reasons.

1. LIMP/REDUCED POWER MODE

Twice now my 2017 w/~41000 miles has gone into instant, no warning or grace period, but an instant drop to a forced 10 mph in the middle of traffic, this last time on a highway with no shoulders during rush hour. Yup, flocks of 'birds' were flying in my direction along with several had braking episodes heard from behind.

This programmed mode is insanely reckless with total disregard for the safety and welfare of the vehicle occupants, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SAFE PLACE OR REASON TO DELIBERATELY CRIPPLE A VEHICLE WHILE IN TRAFFIC! Some European manufactures at least give you a warning with several engine restarts to let you drive normally to safety and then a dealer for service – but apparently emissions laws in the US take precedence over human life. Limp mode can be disabled for emergency vehicles but the dealership told me it was illegal for them to do it for me. I will be putting in a complaint with the NHTSA but I suspect they are part of the problem :(

The three codes thrown each time were:
· RC (Radio Controls): B1325 - Control Module Power Circuit - Low Voltage
· EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module): U0401 - Invalid Data Received From Engine Control Module - Invalid Data
· ECM (Engine Control Module) P200C Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) High Temperature

The dealer had a bulletin on the U0401 code that said to reprogram the ECM and if it fails again replace the ECM. When the dealer told me that I said “Reprogram? You KNOW it’s going to fail again, just order the ECM now!” but I was told they had to play the game as prescribed so a week later I’m trying not to die going 10 mph on a highway during rush hour. Currently I’m in a loaner while they try to get an ECM in under the emissions/powertrain warranty – else this ‘guess the problem’ would be at my expense.

2. Transmission - The ongoing rough transmission shifting issues: 4 times to the dealer for this, 4 times being told it’s “normal” and the only tech bulletins the dealer says they have are for the 8-speed in the gas model for the shuddering and torque converter and not the 6-speed in the diesel.

3. Wire harness chafing in multiple locations: Apparently ongoing/unresolved since the release in 2016 (REF: PIP5416C which covers up to 2018 so far). I thought this might be the issue with problem #1 but the dealer says ‘no’. My biggest gripe here is that this is a simple QC issue and should have been easily identified in the initial hand build/inspection steps on the truck and anytime after that in production as harness attachment and routing is not automated and can be visually inspected when attached. PLUS, this truck was only new to the US in 2016 it has been in production elsewhere longer. Wire chafing issues in my book are simply sloppy workmanship.

4. Longevity: The legendary lifespan of diesels or any modern vehicle is dead – if you bought one of these thinking you will get 20 years out of it think again. Mechanical parts are easy to make ‘after market’ decades later however electronics are not. Electronics are not hand-built items and the technology changes rapidly e.g. try getting a new ECM for a 2002 Ford F150, nobody makes them and you can only find ‘reconditioned/refurbished’ junk yard units.

My OBDII reader identifies the following modules in my truck and I doubt 15-20 years from now any non-OEM of replacement will be available for them once stock is depleted;
· AMP (Amplifier)
· BCM (Body Control Module)
· CCMA (Chassis Control Module - Auxiliary)
· EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module)
· ECM (Engine Control Module)
· HMICM (Human Machine Interface Control Module)
· HVACC (HVAC Controls)
· HVACCM (HVAC Control Module)
· IC (Instrument Cluster)
· IRSDM (Inflatable Restraint Sensing And Diagnostic Module)
· PPM (Passenger Presence Module)
· PSCM (Power Steering Control Module)
· RADIO (Radio)
· RC (Radio Controls)
· SDGM (Serial Data Gateway Module)
· TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module)
· TCICM (Telematics Communication Interface Control Module)
· TCM (Transmission Control Module)

“So?” you might ask, what am I going to do?
1. Buy a used 1996-2003 diesel pickup (any brand) with a decent frame and body and rebuild it – and only those where the only computer module is at most an ECM and I can still purchase a backup to put on the shelf.

2. Buy a Tesla Cybertruck – I laughed at first sight but then reserved on the next day after looking into them further – if I can get 500+ miles out of a charge under full load that is a deal maker for me. Still doing research on this one but the more I look the better it looks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For those of you who work on your own vehicles, reset your own codes, load tunes that nobody can get anymore, and love this truck with all its faults – please read no further.

IF however you need a reliable safe vehicle that you, your wife, or children can drive without unreasonable mechanical knowledge or worry then here is my take (or rant).

I have lost total confidence in this truck and GM since I value mine and my family’s life more than the programming in this truck does. I will be getting rid of it ASAP when it (again) comes back out of the shop and is *hopefully* fixed - they’re just guessing it’s the ECM at this point.

So, let’s go over my top reason for hating this truck followed by its three reasons.

1. LIMP/REDUCED POWER MODE

Twice now my 2017 w/~41000 miles has gone into instant, no warning or grace period, but an instant drop to a forced 10 mph in the middle of traffic, this last time on a highway with no shoulders during rush hour. Yup, flocks of 'birds' were flying in my direction along with several had braking episodes heard from behind.

This programmed mode is insanely reckless with total disregard for the safety and welfare of the vehicle occupants, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SAFE PLACE OR REASON TO DELIBERATELY CRIPPLE A VEHICLE WHILE IN TRAFFIC! Some European manufactures at least give you a warning with several engine restarts to let you drive normally to safety and then a dealer for service – but apparently emissions laws in the US take precedence over human life. Limp mode can be disabled for emergency vehicles but the dealership told me it was illegal for them to do it for me. I will be putting in a complaint with the NHTSA but I suspect they are part of the problem :(

The three codes thrown each time were:
· RC (Radio Controls): B1325 - Control Module Power Circuit - Low Voltage
· EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module): U0401 - Invalid Data Received From Engine Control Module - Invalid Data
· ECM (Engine Control Module) P200C Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) High Temperature

The dealer had a bulletin on the U0401 code that said to reprogram the ECM and if it fails again replace the ECM. When the dealer told me that I said “Reprogram? You KNOW it’s going to fail again, just order the ECM now!” but I was told they had to play the game as prescribed so a week later I’m trying not to die going 10 mph on a highway during rush hour. Currently I’m in a loaner while they try to get an ECM in under the emissions/powertrain warranty – else this ‘guess the problem’ would be at my expense.

2. Transmission - The ongoing rough transmission shifting issues: 4 times to the dealer for this, 4 times being told it’s “normal” and the only tech bulletins the dealer says they have are for the 8-speed in the gas model for the shuddering and torque converter and not the 6-speed in the diesel.

3. Wire chafing: Most of these have been for the 2016 but the 2017’s on up have them too (REF: PIT5626B). I thought this might be the issue with problem #1 but the dealer says ‘no’. My biggest gripe here is that this is a simple QC issue and should have been easily identified in the initial hand build/inspection steps on the truck and anytime after that in production as harness attachment and routing is not automated. PLUS, this truck was only new to the US in 2016 it has been in production elsewhere longer. Wire chafing issues in my book are simply sloppy workmanship.

4. Longevity: The legendary lifespan of diesels or any modern vehicle is dead – if you bought one of these thinking you will get 20 years out of it think again. Mechanical parts are easy to make ‘after market’ decades later however electronics are not. Electronics are not hand-built items and the technology changes rapidly e.g. try getting a new ECM for a 2002 Ford F150, nobody makes them and you can only find ‘reconditioned/refurbished’ junk yard units.

My OBDII reader identifies the following modules in my truck and I doubt 15-20 years from now any non-OEM of replacement will be available for them once stock is depleted;
· AMP (Amplifier)
· BCM (Body Control Module)
· CCMA (Chassis Control Module - Auxiliary)
· EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module)
· ECM (Engine Control Module)
· HMICM (Human Machine Interface Control Module)
· HVACC (HVAC Controls)
· HVACCM (HVAC Control Module)
· IC (Instrument Cluster)
· IRSDM (Inflatable Restraint Sensing And Diagnostic Module)
· PPM (Passenger Presence Module)
· PSCM (Power Steering Control Module)
· RADIO (Radio)
· RC (Radio Controls)
· SDGM (Serial Data Gateway Module)
· TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module)
· TCICM (Telematics Communication Interface Control Module)
· TCM (Transmission Control Module)

“So?” you might ask, what am I going to do?
1. Buy a used 1996-2003 diesel pickup (any brand) with a decent frame and body and rebuild it – and only those where the only computer module is at most an ECM and I can still purchase a backup to put on the shelf.

2. Buy a Tesla Cybertruck – I laughed at first sight but then reserved on the next day after looking into them further – if I can get 500+ miles out of a charge under full load that is a deal maker for me. Still doing research on this one but the more I look the better it looks.
it’s too bad that all this is happening to you. GM quality control is not doing their job for sure. Hopefully you’ll find you peace of mind somewhere else.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I like mine and haven't had any problems but GM has gone way downhill.

They've been have all kinds of problems with their 2500 and 1500 series trucks.

If you want a gas truck get a Honda Ridgeline I don't think I'll buy another GM after this one

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like mine and haven't had any problems but GM has gone way downhill.

They've been have all kinds of problems with their 2500 and 1500 series trucks.

If you want a gas truck get a Honda Ridgeline I don't think I'll buy another GM after this one

This is my first GM since the 80s. Because of poor quality.........
But I couldn’t own a ridgeline....... That is one ugly car truck thing.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a love hate relationship with my truck. I have had my 2019 Z71 for a year. At 30,000 miles I have had several issues. Three limp mode sensor replacement. Not fun pulling your trailer on vacation with the family hundreds a miles away from a dealer. My belt tensioner belt and pulleys had to be replaced at 25K with three weeks waiting for parts. The turbo had to be replaced at 29k. Now my rear tail light is out. Haha
Lastly, I don’t get the highway mileage that others do or GM says it should. 22mpg at best.
But I love my truck, for how long. My plan was 10 years, now I am thinking more like 4.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Find another truck in the segment with a diesel. Right, you won't. Not until Jeep (FIAT-Chyrsler-Peugeot) releases the Glad I Ate Her with the Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I purchases a 2020 LT with the 2.8 6 weeks ago. I have over 8,000 miles on it and no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Find another truck in the segment with a diesel. Right, you won't. Not until Jeep (FIAT-Chyrsler-Peugeot) releases the Glad I Ate Her with the Ecodiesel.
Exactly, I am hoping the 2021 Dakota has a diesel and long bed or Nissan gets smart and does a package like that on the new Frontier but for now GM looks like the only option or go full size. Honestly I love my 2011 Dakota but would like a little longer bed and a diesel. But more than anything better MPG.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts