Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me hours of searching online to find this info so I thought I’d compress. I had 2 dealers tell me I can only pump trans fluid back through drain plug due to the fact that the 6L50 lacks a dipstick and fill plug. This is false!

Attached below is a diagram showing the location of 6L59 fill plug assembly.

919993D6-0CF1-44FB-A668-1ECDBC35E6EB.png

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also attached is a picture of what the drain plug assembly actually looks like. It is located at top of trans on passenger side tightly near the exhaust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2016 All Terrain just shy of 73k miles. K&N intake, RC leveling kit and add-a-leaf. Mostly highway but plenty of towing and I admittedly have an iron foot. Only issue has been 4x4 actuator which was replaced. Motor is solid! I change oil and oil filter as well as fuel filters as per owners manual.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
When you change the trans fluid, pull the “drain plug.” You won’t get all that much out. To get the most out (without a pump machine), you need to drop the pan. You’ll get about 6 qts. out I believe. I changed my internal filter and fluid (what the pan holds) at 45k miles with AMSOIL OE Fuel Efficient Synthetic fluid. Put the pan back together and then commenced to filling.

I didn’t learn this until after I filled it. I had seen this info somewhere, but had forgot about it, so I’ll share it now. Pull the fill plug (on top of the trans, little black plastic plug which you have in your diagram) and also pull the “drain plug.” If you pull the pan off, you’ll see it’s not a true drain plug as there is a tube that goes up. That drain plug is more like a ‘fluid full check.’ If you start filling with fluid, nothing will come out the drain plug until it’s “full.”

Make sure to be on flat ground, fill it, and when it starts coming out, it’s full. Go drive around and get the transmission fluid up to at least 123 degrees which is operating temp for it, then go back and check the fluid again. Pull the drain plug. Some fluid should come out as the fluid will expand as it gets warm. Once it pretty well stops, put the plugs back in and you should be good. Ran mine for 20k miles now since doing this and it’s still together so I figure I did it the right way o_O:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice! I pulled “drain plug” and once the fluid stopped flowing I pulled the pan and replaced the filter (about 6.7 quarts), then installed everything back in place and pumped new fluid back in through the “fill plug assembly” with a hand pump, no issues so far and she shifts like a dream.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also attached is a picture of what the drain plug assembly actually looks like. It is located at top of trans on passenger side tightly near the exhaust.

By chance, is there an after market drain fill tube with a dip stick to check the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It took me hours of searching online to find this info so I thought I’d compress. I had 2 dealers tell me I can only pump trans fluid back through drain plug due to the fact that the 6L50 lacks a dipstick and fill plug. This is false!

Attached below is a diagram showing the location of 6L59 fill plug assembly.

View attachment 8269
what was the torque specs for the transmission pan bolts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts