Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

2.8L Duramax transmission drain and fill plugs

48K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Thaler 
I noticed a cover plate on the torque converter housing. Is there a drain plug on the torque converter like the old vehicles had? Also, that plug on the side, I pulled mine loose but it won't come out. It wiggles around loose but it seems to be attached inside. Do I just pull harder? Could you refill the trans from the cooler return line using a pump. It seems like it would be easier to get to.

It used to be the automatic transmissions were the best most reliable part of most cars especially everything from GM. Now, most brands have transmissions as the weak point in almost every car and truck. Over here in PH they can't repair automatics, especially these new ones, you have to replace the transmission if a fluid and filter change isn't done soon enough or there is something else going on. Ford has a parking lot full of new Ranger Raptors with bad transmissions. One new car we bought shifted way too low in every gear. The dealer had no idea what to do, all they did was check the electronics and said it was OK. I finally got the factory to make them do a pressure check since I thought the valve body was stuck. The valve body was stuck. I suggested they remove it and retorque it in the correct sequence but with 1/2 of the torque applied each time, then change the fluid and filter. Fixed! Years ago I had some Allison and Torqueflite automatics that went over 1million miles each with just normal maintenance. I guess now, newer isn't better like it used to be.