Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EFILive tune. To use, copy tune tables into your OS.

A mild tune with speed limiter, limit increased. Created for cruising over 80 mph without influence of speed limiter and to accelerate up steep grades, better. Mild increase in HP and Torque.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure there are many ways, from an auto tuner that plugs into the OBD2 port and stays. The ECM is directed to go out to an external flash drive in this device to get tuning maps, deletes, etc. Another way is to download the OS (operating system) from the truck's ECM using any number of hardware/software devices for such, save this file on portable PC (notebook, etc.) that can be opened by that device's software and then modify the tables, such as boost, fuel pressure, torque limiting, smoke limiting, injecting timing (for effectively advancing and retarding), injector pulse duration (how long injector is turned on per power stroke), etc. As far as I know, you don't just use the same download and upload to another truck because of OS number conflict. In my experience, I have to download the OS which includes the tune tables, modify the tables within that OS, and then upload again. For my brother's truck I download his OS and then copy/paste my tune tables into his downloaded file, and then uploaded it back to his ECM. You have the option to just upload the tune and not the entire OS, to save time.

I'm attempting to find the MPC manufacturer's part number (controller in the Colorado ECM) without taking the lid off of mine in case that voids the warranty. Knowing the controller, might enable someone to convert the binary object code from the ECM to assembly, C, C++, etc, programming code. With more information the owner has better control of what he/she wants to modify, instead of trusting others that may or may not. Because the Colorado doesn't have a baby Allison transmission, I want to be careful to not give it a tune with too much torque so that the transmission is damaged. As you know, diesels tend to be hard on the drive train and especially rear tires.

Hope this answers your question. I'm sure there are members here that know many other options on tuning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kids, Don’t take candy from strangers
Thanks for the advice! The folks that sell tunes earn pretty well. The good ones earn well over $1,000 per hour. In the not too distant future, diesel tuning will not be as popular. Electric vehicles will become more popular. Need battery technology (capacity) to improve more, so you drive much further than you can with current technology. There will be less reason to tune electric engines since they do not have the emission restraints as fossil fuel burners.

My first tune in 2010 came from Guy Trip, owner of SoCal, for a Silverado. That was a pretty good tune and it was free.

So, how do you tune your truck, or should I say, your new 2018 truck? I suspect you bypass all the store bought stuff and have your own hardware and software design/development to avoid the expense and to have more fun. I worked for John Deere electronics division in Fargo some years ago and we designed, developed, and programmed the ECMs for their diesel powered heavy equipment. I understand this effort is much more challenging with the newer emission control requirements. Also, we did the same for their 280KW electric motor powered equipment. Of course, electric motor controllers are very different than diesel engine controllers. Even at 99% efficiency for an electric motor, that 1% lost power at 280KW is a lot to dissipate. 2,800 watts to cool off. The best diesel efficiency is about 50% on the huge diesel engines that power large ships. I suppose there are tunes for diesel cars and trucks that produce high efficiencies, but not with the latest emission controls.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, better to not run a new tune on your truck, first. Upload it to an acquaintance's truck ECM, instead. Or better yet, simulate it on your computer with your diesel engine simulator. You can't blow up a computer simulation and harm your computer, thankfully. Although, I still cringe sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts