Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still on my search and the diesel inventory in my area (west MI) seems to be pretty sparse. I've found 1 new and 1 used z71 and list price is a good $10K difference. The used 2016 has 50K miles on it. Are there issues or improvements to look out for between these model years?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
They have some minor updates I believe. The 19’s have an HD rear camera and 2 speakers, 1 above the driver and 1 over the passenger, for use while on phone calls. Think there are some other updates to the DIC and the infotainment center, but I don’t believe any major changes.

The 1 major difference between them however is that if you want to delete the truck of its emissions, then you would have to find a 2016-2018 truck. The 19’s aren’t capable of being deleted (yet, although not sure it will be possible ever).

The 2019 will obviously have a fresh warranty whereas the 2016 only have 10k miles left on the power train warranty. The bumper to bumper ran out at 36k and the emissions warranty was done at 24k. I believe there is something about a paint (not sure if anything else is covered) warranty that goes to 90k but that’s it. And that’s assuming it all transfers to you with the truck.

Other than that, I believe they are the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They have some minor updates I believe. The 19’s have an HD rear camera and 2 speakers, 1 above the driver and 1 over the passenger, for use while on phone calls. Think there are some other updates to the DIC and the infotainment center, but I don’t believe any major changes.

The 1 major difference between them however is that if you want to delete the truck of its emissions, then you would have to find a 2016-2018 truck. The 19’s aren’t capable of being deleted (yet, although not sure it will be possible ever).

The 2019 will obviously have a fresh warranty whereas the 2016 only have 10k miles left on the power train warranty. The bumper to bumper ran out at 36k and the emissions warranty was done at 24k. I believe there is something about a paint (not sure if anything else is covered) warranty that goes to 90k but that’s it. And that’s assuming it all transfers to you with the truck.

Where is everyone getting this “emissions warranty runs out at 24k” my dealer told me yesterday that it’s 3 year 36k I’m sure it says that in the manual if memory serves.

·
Registered
179 Posts
One improvement that I can promise you that you will NOT get is a low beam worth a ****. They've had 3 years to improve this obvious, serious, problem and haven't I just ordered my second set of H11 LED's after one of my first 2 aftermarkets failed after 25K miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts

If you are one of the 13 states that fall under the California emission’s testing most emissions parts are covered for 6yrs. or 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So Burgess, are you really honestly happy with your delete? And do I have to worry about it affecting any other warranties on my truck as long as my dealer is cool with it?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So Burgess, are you really honestly happy with your delete? And do I have to worry about it affecting any other warranties on my truck as long as my dealer is cool with it?
I am happy with it. We have over 20k miles on it now since the delete. Currently on a trip from Missouri to Yellowstone. Made it 1300 miles here with no problems. Have gone to Ohio and back once since deleting which is 1000 miles round trip but never this far a distance at once really. Truck has done great. 28.5 on the first tank and 27.9 on the next (started to get in to some hills).

I like how the truck shifts and runs much better now. Much smoother and you can drive it more confidently, especially when trying to pass someone on a two lane road. No more “please just go, please just go...”

The only issue I have had, is with the Exhaust Filter Cleaning, Please Keep Driving message coming up. It stopped happening once the temperatures warmed up, but in the winter it happened rather often. It would usually go away but just annoying, especially since that doesn’t exist on the truck anymore :confused: Jason has a fix for it but I haven’t taken the time to do it.

If you can do it, I would recommend it. Either with American Diesel Performance (Jason’s tunes) or I suppose GDE even.

About the warranties though. You shouldn’t have to worry about it affecting the paint and blemish warranty which I think goes to 90k. I mean, the tune isn’t messing with the trucks paint. But they would deny any power train issues obviously.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was on a trip in Eastern Az in the middle of nowhere when I received a message on dic. It was “service emissions” immediately and is went into limp mode. Fortunately I was able to reset it until I could get home. What was weird it really didn’t have anything to do with the emissions, it was a coolant sensor and they wound replacing the turbo. My mechanic says I should wait until the emissions warranty runs out, it’s only 9000 away so I will until then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
...The 1 major difference between them however is that if you want to delete the truck of its emissions, then you would have to find a 2016-2018 truck. The 19’s aren’t capable of being deleted (yet, although not sure it will be possible ever)...
Are there changes to the ECU that would prevent this? Im in CA so not sure if I could pull off a full delete due to our regulations but would be helpful to know.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Something is different on the ECU. And swapping the ECU for a 2017 one for example won’t work either. The dealer could tell if you removed it at some point if they hook up diagnostic equipment.

And you most likely can not pull off a full delete without bringing down the wrath of the EPA hippies :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
How detrimental, in your opinion, is the emissions to the overall life of this engine? I keep my cars for atleast 10 yrs, and hoping to get 200K from the little diesel.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well they aren’t good. You might get 200k out of the truck without having any problems with the emissions. But you are just about guaranteed to not have any problems if you delete.

These systems on our trucks are very finicky so I don’t know how long one could make it. I know a few guys over 100k with emissions intact.

The thing is, your DPF and EGR at some point, WILL plug up and you will have to deal with it. Whether that be replacing the items or removing them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Burgess, yeah I saw that picture of the EGR post. Totally gunked up. If all works well and Im out of CA when I retire, a delete may be possible but while Im here it's seems to be prohibitive. What state are you in?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts