Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw on the Chevrolet page that the new ZR2 can now be looked at or pre-ordered (as it won't be released until Spring of 2017). It looks really good. Comes with a lift from the factory, wider stance, skid plates, better suspension for off-road driving and of course available with a Duramax.

I have been looking more at the GMC Canyon's rather than the Colorado's, but I might consider one of the ZR2's if I don't have a 2016 Canyon bought by then. There is a dealer near St. Louis, Laura Buick GMC, who has hundreds of GMC trucks and cars. They have 50-100 Canyon's in stock, and 20 or so are diesel. And they have them at a great price right now, starting around $31,300 for an SLE 4WD Crew Cab Short bed. SLT 4WD's (which we would prefer) start around $36,000. Kind of hoping that maybe they will drop them another few thousand by early spring but that's wishful thinking.

Here's the link to the new ZR2 though. Anyone else thinking of getting one of these?
http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-zr2-off-road-truck.html

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't find that info, on the towing. But if I had to guess, I would say it could be because of having different suspension for offroad and having that lift and wider stance (not sure how they made it wider, maybe wheel spacers?). That would probably decrease the tow rating since things are stretched out a little farther. Could break more easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts

The V6 engine offers 26 MPG highway2 with technologies like Spark Ignition Direct Injection and deceleration fuel cutoff. It provides best-in-class horsepower and towing — up to 7,000 lbs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2016 Canyon and will be ordering the ZR2 as soon as it is closer to being available. I really want the lockers is the main selling point for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I re-read Chevy's info and noticed it stated towing capacity "increased" to 5,000 lbs... I'm going to assume that means that without the towing package the tow rating has been increased from 3,500 to 5,000 lbs... Again another assumption... With the tow package it should be at least the same as the std Colorado / Canyon's towing capacity of 7,600 lbs...

My original plan was to get a Denali version, lift it, and add wheel spacers... With the ZR2, A lot of what I was planning on changing has already been done.... I plan to tow a camper (approx 5,000 lbs fully loaded) so the towing capacity is a big issue for me... I'm hoping with the towing package, it will still have the 7,500 rating... If this is true... I'll be ordering a new ZR2. as soon as they're released...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My z71 has the g80 rear locker, which has been a great unit for 20 years, I already have a 2" lift and duratracs, I get more than 26 on the highway, I think the hood and bumper are ugly. just missing the front locker. Well, not missing it because I'll never need it.

It's still not as good as the trd pro tacoma, which looks better and will, without a doubt, perform better Offroad. It can't be compared to a raptor, either.

It will only be desirable with the duramax engine and then it will push $50,000.00. I'm Wondering who their target market is.

Yep, im a hater.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My z71 has the g80 rear locker, which has been a great unit for 20 years, I already have a 2" lift and duratracs, I get more than 26 on the highway, I think the hood and bumper are ugly. just missing the front locker. Well, not missing it because I'll never need it.

It's still not as good as the trd pro tacoma, which looks better and will, without a doubt, perform better Offroad. It can't be compared to a raptor, either.

It will only be desirable with the duramax engine and then it will push $50,000.00. I'm Wondering who their target market is.

Yep, im a hater.
Target market is guys like me! We did the extreme off-road stuff for years, now I want to do some riding, some rock challenges...and have something really freakin' cool to drive! After wheeling an H1 for years, I'm looking forward to something smaller, and smaller than a Raptor which I did consider. As for the price, everything is so damn expensive...can easily top 40k with a TRD. You're not a hater, you're just not a believer yet! When I put some 33" MTR/Kevlars on it and do some wheeling, I'll try and make a believer out of you

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hold on. I'm a "believer" but we need to call the zr2 what it is, a niche vehicle. Not many people are spending that much on a midsize truck and even fewer would wheel that truck.

Also, To be fair, I posted that before I saw a real production truck. I didn't think it would make it to production, like so many concepts. And, I like the real thing better than all the pics I saw.

I've seen a few in action since then and they are super impressive for a stock truck. The rear articulation is actually really good. I think it would wheel about as good as a stock rubicon, which is really great for a stock ride.

You're right, YOU ARE the market for that truck. Also, I applaud you for actually planning on using it for what it is capable of doing. I am happy they actually made the truck, I really am.

Don't get me wrong, It's a badass truck, but it's super niche market. 99% of people don't need front lockers and only a handful of people need a rear locker. But as I'm typing this, I am thinking of how many dozens of Rubicon's I saw on my commute today (those have f/r lockers as well) and those things are selling like hot cakes. That surprises me as well, but it's hard to compare to wranglers they have always had a market share.

I don't know where you live or what kind of trails you have available to you or what kind of trails you are hitting, or even what your definition of wheeling is. Where I wheel, body damage is guaranteed on any trail that would require a front locker and 33" rubbers won't get you there anyway.

I still don't like the front bumper, I prefer the fog light bumper. The hood looks better now in production than the early pics. I love the fender flares and the pseudo-sliders (I've seen the sliders in action. They work, but they deflect a bit, don't drop the truck on them)

Maybe you're right, I'm not a hater, but I'm not afraid to say what I'm thinkin. Especially after a few glasses of a good bourbon. I still think of all you guys as family and your truck is gorgeous. Cheers, y'all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hold on. I'm a "believer" but we need to call the zr2 what it is, a niche vehicle. Not many people are spending that much on a midsize truck and even fewer would wheel that truck.

Also, To be fair, I posted that before I saw a real production truck. I didn't think it would make it to production, like so many concepts. And, I like the real thing better than all the pics I saw.

I've seen a few in action since then and they are super impressive for a stock truck. The rear articulation is actually really good. I think it would wheel about as good as a stock rubicon, which is really great for a stock ride.

You're right, YOU ARE the market for that truck. Also, I applaud you for actually planning on using it for what it is capable of doing. I am happy they actually made the truck, I really am.

Don't get me wrong, It's a badass truck, but it's super niche market. 99% of people don't need front lockers and only a handful of people need a rear locker. But as I'm typing this, I am thinking of how many dozens of Rubicon's I saw on my commute today (those have f/r lockers as well) and those things are selling like hot cakes. That surprises me as well, but it's hard to compare to wranglers they have always had a market share.

I don't know where you live or what kind of trails you have available to you or what kind of trails you are hitting, or even what your definition of wheeling is. Where I wheel, body damage is guaranteed on any trail that would require a front locker and 33" rubbers won't get you there anyway.

I still don't like the front bumper, I prefer the fog light bumper. The hood looks better now in production than the early pics. I love the fender flares and the pseudo-sliders (I've seen the sliders in action. They work, but they deflect a bit, don't drop the truck on them)

Maybe you're right, I'm not a hater, but I'm not afraid to say what I'm thinkin. Especially after a few glasses of a good bourbon. I still think of all you guys as family and your truck is gorgeous. Cheers, y'all.
I just enjoy the banter...never really thought you a hater at all!! I too say what I'm thinking...sometimes in my case that's good and sometimes not!! As for me, I loved it the first time I saw it, and I do plan to use it. Now I've seen pics of your off-road truck, and I'm not going there in the ZR2...but I have been there! Having had 2 H1s, 2 H3s and being active in the off-road community here in FL, and on the BOD of The Hummer Club...and the dealership group I work for owned a Hummer franchise I have some heavy wheeling experience. We've been to Durango, Moab, Windrock in Oak Ridge/Oliver Springs, TN over a dozen times, Black Mountain in Harlan, KY; Gray Rock in AL, ran the Kinzalow Trails in Dayton, TN a number of times and the old favorite Tellico back in the days. I'm definitely no stranger to body damage or mechanical failure on the trail. In FL, we go to a small park in Ocala called Hardrock that was built in an old quarry, so it has some surprisingly steep climbs, a rock garden, mud pit, etc. I plan to do some mild wheeling based on what the ZR2 will clear, afraid not much on stock 31s, and will explore what size tire the truck really needs in time. But I do want to use it! I tried a Rubicon Hard Rock JKU after we sold the last H1, but I just didn't like it as a daily driver...and I still needed a pickup. I waited for the Duramax in the new Colorado, and shortly after I bought it I started seeing that the ZR2 was actually going to get built, and the more I saw and read, and the longer I went without wheeling, the more I wanted one!

Again, I realize the ZR2 does not have the capability nor the strength in the components to do what you do with your trail truck, and I totally agree that the first thing we're going to mod is where and how the rock sliders are attached (who attaches them to the body besides GM), but I think it has enough to keep this quasi-adventurous 61 year old satisfied until the next toy with wheels crosses my path!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just enjoy the banter...never really thought you a hater at all!! I too say what I'm thinking...sometimes in my case that's good and sometimes not!! As for me, I loved it the first time I saw it, and I do plan to use it. Now I've seen pics of your off-road truck, and I'm not going there in the ZR2...but I have been there! Having had 2 H1s, 2 H3s and being active in the off-road community here in FL, and on the BOD of The Hummer Club...and the dealership group I work for owned a Hummer franchise I have some heavy wheeling experience. We've been to Durango, Moab, Windrock in Oak Ridge/Oliver Springs, TN over a dozen times, Black Mountain in Harlan, KY; Gray Rock in AL, ran the Kinzalow Trails in Dayton, TN a number of times and the old favorite Tellico back in the days. I'm definitely no stranger to body damage or mechanical failure on the trail. In FL, we go to a small park in Ocala called Hardrock that was built in an old quarry, so it has some surprisingly steep climbs, a rock garden, mud pit, etc. I plan to do some mild wheeling based on what the ZR2 will clear, afraid not much on stock 31s, and will explore what size tire the truck really needs in time. But I do want to use it! I tried a Rubicon Hard Rock JKU after we sold the last H1, but I just didn't like it as a daily driver...and I still needed a pickup. I waited for the Duramax in the new Colorado, and shortly after I bought it I started seeing that the ZR2 was actually going to get built, and the more I saw and read, and the longer I went without wheeling, the more I wanted one!

Again, I realize the ZR2 does not have the capability nor the strength in the components to do what you do with your trail truck, and I totally agree that the first thing we're going to mod is where and how the rock sliders are attached (who attaches them to the body besides GM), but I think it has enough to keep this quasi-adventurous 61 year old satisfied until the next toy with wheels crosses my path!
Ah, I miss tellico. That's where I got hooked on rock crawling.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very early in our off-roading days as passengers...H1 carnage on those narrow trails with a group of crazy people! We started driving off-road at dealership events in 2003 when we started selling Hummers, mostly FL lake mud/muck and a lot of deep water. Got an H3 in 2006, underpowered but pretty capable and went with the Hummer Club to Beckley, WV and got hooked that weekend...6 months later we had an H1 too. We spent the next 8 years wheeling regularly and I enjoyed learning what my trucks would do and why they did it, and I'm really looking forward to driving and learning the ZR2!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just checked out the vids... looks great, but I have to ask why is the towing rated only st 5,000 lbs...
The suspension on the ZR2 is very different than the standard and require frame mods to get it right. Chevy reduced the tow rating to match what they thought the long travel suspension and frame cuts could handle.

I would definitely like a ZR2, but I need the tow capacity of my Z71. I definitely don't want to be paying for a ZR2. I really just want it's front locker... I might have done a bit of offroading back in the day. :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ouch. that tow capacity is less than a tacoma. Long travel suspension is cool, but it would be all over the place pulling a trailer. My z71 is a little tugboat, which is exactly what I need to pull the crawler

·
Registered
100 Posts
The suspension on the ZR2 is very different than the standard and require frame mods to get it right. Chevy reduced the tow rating to match what they thought the long travel suspension and frame cuts could handle.

I would definitely like a ZR2, but I need the tow capacity of my Z71. I definitely don't want to be paying for a ZR2. I really just want it's front locker... I might have done a bit of offroading back in the day. :)

Moab?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Saw on the Chevrolet page that the new ZR2 can now be looked at or pre-ordered (as it won't be released until Spring of 2017). It looks really good. Comes with a lift from the factory, wider stance, skid plates, better suspension for off-road driving and of course available with a Duramax.

I have been looking more at the GMC Canyon's rather than the Colorado's, but I might consider one of the ZR2's if I don't have a 2016 Canyon bought by then. There is a dealer near St. Louis, Laura Buick GMC, who has hundreds of GMC trucks and cars. They have 50-100 Canyon's in stock, and 20 or so are diesel. And they have them at a great price right now, starting around $31,300 for an SLE 4WD Crew Cab Short bed. SLT 4WD's (which we would prefer) start around $36,000. Kind of hoping that maybe they will drop them another few thousand by early spring but that's wishful thinking.

Here's the link to the new ZR2 though. Anyone else thinking of getting one of these?
http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-zr2-off-road-truck.html
the ZR2 looks great! But I feel that since it is the same 2.8L it will be just as under powered as the regular Colorado.. which has me a little upset

1 - 18 of 18 Posts