Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My fist post in this forum. I'm glad to be part of the community. My father just bought a brand new Colorado diesel and according to its door sticker was manufactured on 06/17 (towards the end before 2018 models took over in July I believe) So even though I do not own one I was very much impressed by the vehicle. I'd like to learn more about it and hopefully share knowledge with my father about the ins and outs of this unique piece of machinery. I mean it's a 4 cylinder diesel !! Go LWN !!

Well...here I go: I've been reading about several transmission problem on the 2016 Colorado gasoline powertrain....Are the 2017 Colorado Diesel transmissions unique to their set of vehicles? What I'm trying to get ask is whether diesels vehicles can share same transmission as that of gasoline vehicles? I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve; to anticipate problems down the road.

Cheers,

Finker

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome.

What problems have you been reading about? Pretty sure they share the same trans. The diesel version has a special torque converter with some vibration reducing magical pendulum, but that's the only difference I know of.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Magical pendulum huh? :) Welcome btw. I don't know for sure, but I imagine a quick Google search will tell me that they both have the 6L50 transmission. I haven't had or heard of any problems yet. Not on the diesels at least. The gas engine models have been out for one year more than the diesels though, so maybe those that have racked up more miles are noticing something.

Like trans going out or just shifting funny kind of problems though?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Haven't heard of any trans issue. But the diesel have a different trans than the V6 version. The diesel use the same trans as prior used in a Camaro.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Now that the v6 has an 8 speed trans, they are different. But, I think the 15 and 16 gas and diesel models were sharing transmissions

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just traded a 2015 Chevy with the 8 speed auto. One of the several reasons I opted for the diesel is that it doesn't have the 8 speed. It was an extremely troublesome transmission for me and lots of others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts