Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past 12 months, I have observed repeated electrical issues with my colorado. Intermittently, while driving, the dash will display various alerts ( Service 4wd, Service Stabilitrak, Service trailer brake system, steering assist reduced drive with care.) On top of those alerts, the speedometer and tachometer stop giving readings, the AC stops working, the light on the gear shift goes out, and the transmission begins to shift very roughly. Once I get the vehicle to a stop and attempt to turn the truck off, the keys won't release. After 5 mins or so the keys will eventually release and if I let the truck sit for 20-30 minutes the symptoms go away and the truck begins working again... until symptoms appear at a later date.

Despite the fact that this two-year old Colorado has been taken in to service this issue on 6 different occasions, up to this day, the issue has never been truly resolved. I believe the root cause for the issue has never been found. The few times it has been in almost every electrical module has been replaced. Additionally, one dealership found corrosion on a wire harness connector that they cleaned up and believed it to be root cause... apparently not.

Has anyone experienced this or had issues like this? I have photos attached plus a youtube video of another colorado, of the same year (Non- diesel), having the same issue.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had and loose wire on the fuse panel by the engine, main wire was loose and caused all sorts of problems sometimes not starting getting intermittent messages, key locked in the ignition.
Also I heard the battery could have a bad cell and the low-voltage could cause different era codes.
Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Over the past 12 months, I have observed repeated electrical issues with my colorado. Intermittently, while driving, the dash will display various alerts ( Service 4wd, Service Stabilitrak, Service trailer brake system, steering assist reduced drive with care.) On top of those alerts, the speedometer and tachometer stop giving readings, the AC stops working, the light on the gear shift goes out, and the transmission begins to shift very roughly. Once I get the vehicle to a stop and attempt to turn the truck off, the keys won't release. After 5 mins or so the keys will eventually release and if I let the truck sit for 20-30 minutes the symptoms go away and the truck begins working again... until symptoms appear at a later date.

Despite the fact that this two-year old Colorado has been taken in to service this issue on 6 different occasions, up to this day, the issue has never been truly resolved. I believe the root cause for the issue has never been found. The few times it has been in almost every electrical module has been replaced. Additionally, one dealership found corrosion on a wire harness connector that they cleaned up and believed it to be root cause... apparently not.

Has anyone experienced this or had issues like this? I have photos attached plus a youtube video of another colorado, of the same year (Non- diesel), having the same issue.

Thanks in advance.
I had the same exact problem as you experienced...was second guessing my decision to buy this instead of a Toyota...anyway, after checking the Batt. (charged and ok) pertinent fuses etc, I decided to check for chafing/corrosion. I started wiggling wires and came to the positive lead into the fuse box and heard a click..after trying to start for hours, it cranked right up, to my relief. At least I have zeroed where the problem lies. I will take it in and have all those leads checked and cleaned just to be safe.
2016 Colorado Duramax, 38,500 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
F
I had the same exact problem as you experienced...was second guessing my decision to buy this instead of a Toyota...anyway, after checking the Batt. (charged and ok) pertinent fuses etc, I decided to check for chafing/corrosion. I started wiggling wires and came to the positive lead into the fuse box and heard a click..after trying to start for hours, it cranked right up, to my relief. At least I have zeroed where the problem lies. I will take it in and have all those leads checked and cleaned just to be safe.
2016 Colorado Duramax, 38,500 miles.
Fixe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I found the cause of the DIC going crazy and "battery saver" message plus no crank issue...I found the main hot wire to the fuse box loose as hell! that's why when I wiggled it I suddenly had cranking power. I loosened the the three bolts and 7 clips to the fuse block to gain access. I removed the "loose" nut and inspected the aft side of the contact to find arcing marks and corrosion present. Cleaned that off, ADDED 2 washers and dielectric grease, tightened and buttoned evert thing up and it started right up. I have a consistent 13.7 to 14.1 volts to the battery when running...and no more "Battery saver engaged" message. problem SOLVED. 20201227_124740.jpg

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts