Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a letter from GMC corporate dated Jan 2020:

"This notice is sent to inform you that GM is conducting an emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason For This Recall: Your 2017 model year GMC Canyon vehicle, equipped with a diesel engine, may be equipped with an improperly functioning on-board emission-related diagnostic systm that violates California and Federal standards and regulations. The engine control module (ECM) in these vehicles may not adequately diagnose or illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (Check Engine Light) when frequent regeneration of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) occurs."

Letter goes on to say that the ECM will be reprogrammed when the software becomes available.

It appears this recall was announced Nov 2017, and I am just receiving it because GM has been notified that I am the owner (since Sep 2019) of this VIN.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

This recall looks rather innocuous for the owner- and the original planning states the dealer is to provide a courtesy vehicle if required, if recall repair is made while still under warranty.

Am I correct in my assumption that the DPF can eventually become plugged and require removal and cleaning (or replacement) because normal regeneration can no longer maintain proper function, and that the ECM needs reprogramming to correctly signal when this has occurred?

To my knowledge my diesel has not been "tuned" and I have no interest in doing so. Any known "downside" to making arrangements?

Thanks in advance.

Peace/out

·
Registered
355 Posts
Received a letter from GMC corporate dated Jan 2020:

"This notice is sent to inform you that GM is conducting an emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason For This Recall: Your 2017 model year GMC Canyon vehicle, equipped with a diesel engine, may be equipped with an improperly functioning on-board emission-related diagnostic systm that violates California and Federal standards and regulations. The engine control module (ECM) in these vehicles may not adequately diagnose or illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (Check Engine Light) when frequent regeneration of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) occurs."

Letter goes on to say that the ECM will be reprogrammed when the software becomes available.

It appears this recall was announced Nov 2017, and I am just receiving it because GM has been notified that I am the owner (since Sep 2019) of this VIN.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

This recall looks rather innocuous for the owner- and the original planning states the dealer is to provide a courtesy vehicle if required, if recall repair is made while still under warranty.

Am I correct in my assumption that the DPF can eventually become plugged and require removal and cleaning (or replacement) because normal regeneration can no longer maintain proper function, and that the ECM needs reprogramming to correctly signal when this has occurred?

To my knowledge my diesel has not been "tuned" and I have no interest in doing so. Any known "downside" to making arrangements?

Thanks in advance.

Peace/out
We talked about this before on this site.
What they are saying is that if for some reason your vehicle is doing to many regens or to often.
Then the Mil light should come on to warn you there is something wrong.
My recall shows up on my centre display. My truck is a 2018.

look at it this way.... if a sensor goes bad that tells the ECU that the DPF is in need of a regen. Even though it’s not. This reflash or update will have the check engine light come on to alert of a problem.

This will protect the DPF from being damaged by to many unnecessary regens.
From what I can find out. A diesel particulate filter will only last so long. Or to look at it another way.....
It will only survive so many regens......

I monitor my regens. But for those that don’t use a monitoring device an issue with a rouge sensor could do some serious damage to the DPF.....

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob for taking time to explain this......I did a search of prior topics for recalls and did not find this one.

Glad for your answer, as I had it bass ackwards (thought the ECU would fail to warn of too few regens) and wanted assurance that the re-flash was not going to affect any other performance..

Sounds like a legitimate reason to make an appointment so I will do so.

Thanks again, Peace/Out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts