Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a long time lurker and have been trying to get my transmission shudder fixed since I bought the truck from Chevy a year ago with 63k miles on it. Have a third-party power/drivetrain warranty up to 105K and have been to the dealer at least 5 times trying to get them to acknowledge the issue. Got fed up with the dealer and took it to a third-party shop where they told me my wheels were out of balance (have had them balanced at least 4 times) and if it wasn't that, the driveline was out of balance... Had both the wheels and driveline balanced and now have a wider range of shudder issues ranging from 65-88mph (wheel might be out of balance) as well as the occasional shift shudder in the lower gears. I finally got someone to agree to replace the torque converter, but as I doing more research, a failing TC can lead to an oil pump failure as well as a range of other valve and 'moving part' wear within the transmission... For anyone else that has had the issue and gotten it fixed, have they requested that the mechanic replace the bell housing/pump assembly at the same time as the TC?
Finally, I have also read that the Sonnax line of drop-in and oversized valves are supposed to help with some of the commonly found issues in the 6L series of transmission, in particular the oil pump Boost Valve and Pressure Regulator.

When I get my TC replaced, I will have the shop install a new torque converter and fluid along with the bellhousing and oil pump assembly that has had the OE Booster and Pressure Regulator valves replaced with the drop-in Sonnax replacements.

Any thoughts?

And tranny issues aside, I love my CCLB minimax powered beast... best part is the highway mileage as I blast up Interstate 17 from Phoenix at 80+ mph and a round trip average of 25.5+mpg
...Only other issue I had was a failed Catalytic converter that had GM Engineering involved and ultimately had to have my whole DEF system replaced (DEF module/pump, injectors, sensors on my dollar and the catalytic converter on GMs dollar)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Been a long time lurker and have been trying to get my transmission shudder fixed since I bought the truck from Chevy a year ago with 63k miles on it. Have a third-party power/drivetrain warranty up to 105K and have been to the dealer at least 5 times trying to get them to acknowledge the issue. Got fed up with the dealer and took it to a third-party shop where they told me my wheels were out of balance (have had them balanced at least 4 times) and if it wasn't that, the driveline was out of balance... Had both the wheels and driveline balanced and now have a wider range of shudder issues ranging from 65-88mph (wheel might be out of balance) as well as the occasional shift shudder in the lower gears. I finally got someone to agree to replace the torque converter, but as I doing more research, a failing TC can lead to an oil pump failure as well as a range of other valve and 'moving part' wear within the transmission... For anyone else that has had the issue and gotten it fixed, have they requested that the mechanic replace the bell housing/pump assembly at the same time as the TC?
Finally, I have also read that the Sonnax line of drop-in and oversized valves are supposed to help with some of the commonly found issues in the 6L series of transmission, in particular the oil pump Boost Valve and Pressure Regulator.

When I get my TC replaced, I will have the shop install a new torque converter and fluid along with the bellhousing and oil pump assembly that has had the OE Booster and Pressure Regulator valves replaced with the drop-in Sonnax replacements.

Any thoughts?

And tranny issues aside, I love my CCLB minimax powered beast... best part is the highway mileage as I blast up Interstate 17 from Phoenix at 80+ mph and a round trip average of 25.5+mpg
...Only other issue I had was a failed Catalytic converter that had GM Engineering involved and ultimately had to have my whole DEF system replaced (DEF module/pump, injectors, sensors on my dollar and the catalytic converter on GMs dollar)

I would be interested in your results on the replacement trans parts. I assume your third party warranty is covering the TC replacement but their not covering the upgrades your looking to do correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be interested in your results on the replacement trans parts. I assume your third party warranty is covering the TC replacement but their not covering the upgrades your looking to do correct?
That is where things get a little complicated... My third party warranty might cover the bell housing and pump, but I dont imagine they will cover the additional valves or aftermarket parts. So... I am thinking I might just buy the bell housing and pump since its about $250. Then buy the sonnax valve kit which additional $250 and includes the valves for the pump as well as the tranny valve body. I would do the valves in the bell housing/pump and take it to a shop to install while they had my tranny out and were replacing the TC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some links for anyone curious as to what I am talking about:
Bell Housing/Pump Assembly: 24275411 - Genuine GM Parts
Valve kits for Bell Housing/Pump:
Complete Kit:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here are some links for anyone curious as to what I am talking about:
Bell Housing/Pump Assembly: 24275411 - Genuine GM Parts
Valve kits for Bell Housing/Pump:
Complete Kit:
Nice list, It would be great if they just wrote you a check and you could just give the shop all the parts you want installed and just pay the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice list, It would be great if they just wrote you a check and you could just give the shop all the parts you want installed and just pay the difference.
Thats not a bad idea...
My other post with the direct link wont post without mod approval but search, "green diesel engineering colorado diesel torque converter teardown analysis" and check out the report on the other coloradofans forum...
I handed that to the third party shop and they still tried to tell me it was my driveline...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thats not a bad idea...
My other post with the direct link wont post without mod approval but search, "green diesel engineering colorado diesel torque converter teardown analysis" and check out the report on the other coloradofans forum...
I handed that to the third party shop and they still tried to tell me it was my driveline...
I have seen that GDE teardown report. This is why I ask if you could get the $ directly and then use a triple disk TC instead of the factory unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts