Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new member first post. I’ve spec’d out a 2021 duramax LT but before I pull the trigger I’d like to know if there are any ‘must haves’ or ‘Must avoids’. I was a diesel mechanic in the military long ago, looking for a Good resource for general issues or complaints with this platform.

thanks
Jay

·
Registered
380 Posts
Welcome Jay,

Remember when you look at the forums the typical happy owner is usually not a member. It's more of someone seeking resolution to a problem or someone just looking to vent.

I say this because when one reads the forums a lot of the time it feels like doom and gloom. There are hundreds of thousands of these truck running around and lots of happy owners (me included).

Kevin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks SFL i've been a member of many autoforums; i know the drill :)
Do you know if the LT duramax comes with the G80 differential?
my 2016 lt has both the tow package and g80. also ive replaced the turbo, (broken fin) and had 1 instance where after towing in cruise control for a state or two, truck wouldnt regen and had to have dealer force regen.. other than that have driven 84k miles. with about 10k towing a 4k lbs travel trailer.. hope to get 300k miles from this truck. on a completely different note, im researching picking up a gas version and dropping in a 5.3.. should be a fun project.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do not have much to add on the engine. Originally I was going to go with the short box, but I have a buddy that convinced me to go with the long box. Obviously more space, better ride, and better handling when pulling due to longer wheel base. Not here to argue these are facts, but seem logical. I personally think they are better looking. For my life style the long box best fit's our needs. I am sure the rock climbers and off roaders may disagree. This is totally personal preference so not putting down the short box.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I do not have much to add on the engine. Originally I was going to go with the short box, but I have a buddy that convinced me to go with the long box. Obviously more space, better ride, and better handling when pulling due to longer wheel base. Not here to argue these are facts, but seem logical. I personally think they are better looking. For my life style the long box best fit's our needs. I am sure the rock climbers and off roaders may disagree. This is totally personal preference so not putting down the short box.
I have to agree.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I woulda chosen a long box if one was offered on a crew cab ZR2. BTW, love the 2.8 Diesel. I worked on Diesels in the military too. A bit bigger than 2.8L....

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
46 Posts
63 L per cylinder, 1,008 L per engine, ~8,250 HP per engine (x 4 engines), Twin Turbo V16.

Weighs 114 tons and runs at around 600 RPM.

We carried 800K gallons of diesel and had an additional 200K of aviation fuel we could use if needed.

One of the more interesting duties I had was inspecting the interior of the oil pan underneath prior to closing it up after a rebuild. I crawled through the baffled compartments that carried 2500 gal of lube oil to ensure there were no tools, rags, etc left from the work.

One of the most fascinating jobs I've ever had.

Reactions: oak1971

·
Registered
380 Posts
63 L per cylinder, 1,008 L per engine, ~8,250 HP per engine (x 4 engines), Twin Turbo V16.

Weighs 114 tons and runs at around 600 RPM.

We carried 800K gallons of diesel and had an additional 200K of aviation fuel we could use if needed.

One of the more interesting duties I had was inspecting the interior of the oil pan underneath prior to closing it up after a rebuild. I crawled through the baffled compartments that carried 2500 gal of lube oil to ensure there were no tools, rags, etc left from the work.

One of the most fascinating jobs I've ever had.

That is so cool. I love big stuff like that....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts