Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 inch lift on my Colorado. The website where I bought the kit mentions a 285 70 17 tire would fit with the lift.
Anyone using that size and do they fit okay?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Skinner would work better. It’s not the height so much as the width. On a stock wheel/2” lift You can do as tall as a 255/80/17 pizza cutter but when you start getting wider you’ll have issues.

Best bet is to physically measure your trucks tire clearances. You’ll be surprised to see how little room you have with stock tires on a 2” lift. Turn the wheel and measure. I ended up with about 3/4” clearances on stock wheels and tires. Then use those measurements to find out how much tire will fit.

Sway bar and front inner fender were the closest clearances on mine when checking lock to lock

I ended up with 265/65/18 but I’m on after market wheels and that’s a whole other can of worms when it comes to measuring

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man,
Maybe I’ll try the 255/80/17 size you mentioned. I like the taller skinny look.
Seen anyone with that setup?
Cheers, A

Skinner would work better. It’s not the height so much as the width. On a stock wheel/2” lift You can do as tall as a 255/80/17 pizza cutter but when you start getting wider you’ll have issues.

Best bet is to physically measure your trucks tire clearances. You’ll be surprised to see how little room you have with stock tires on a 2” lift. Turn the wheel and measure. I ended up with about 3/4” clearances on stock wheels and tires. Then use those measurements to find out how much tire will fit.

Sway bar and front inner fender were the closest clearances on mine when checking lock to lock

I ended up with 265/65/18 but I’m on after market wheels and that’s a whole other can of worms when it comes to measuring

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks man,
Maybe I’ll try the 255/80/17 size you mentioned. I like the taller skinny look.
Seen anyone with that setup?
Cheers, A
Not with my own two eyes, just based off my measurements. I would still recommend measuring before take anybody’s word for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I STOPPED MOSTLY BECAUSE I COULDNT STOP SPINNING THE TIRE ANYTIME IT WAS WET. IT WASNT DUE TO THE SIZE, BUT BECAUSE THE COMPOUND SUCKED. IM WITH A 275/70R17 NOW. I LIKE TALL SKINNY TIRES TOO, BUT I GUESS IT DEPENDS IF YOURE GOING FOR LOOKS OR FUNCTION. 285'S DEFINATELY GOT WORSE FUEL ECONOMY

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know. Got any pics of your current setup? Forgive my ignorance but how do the tall skinny tires affect performance? I’m guessing your current tires are wide and don’t rub as they are a bit smaller size than my original question. Cheers
I STOPPED MOSTLY BECAUSE I COULDNT STOP SPINNING THE TIRE ANYTIME IT WAS WET. IT WASNT DUE TO THE SIZE, BUT BECAUSE THE COMPOUND SUCKED. IM WITH A 275/70R17 NOW. I LIKE TALL SKINNY TIRES TOO, BUT I GUESS IT DEPENDS IF YOURE GOING FOR LOOKS OR FUNCTION. 285'S DEFINATELY GOT WORSE FUEL ECONOMY

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Taller/wider/larger tires effect performance mostly due to added weight. There is also the diameter that plays a role but I’ll explain both.

Many popular offroad tires in the original size you asked about come E rated and can weigh 60lb+ each add the weight of the wheel and you’re at 90lb+ per tire. Stock wheel and tire combined weigh about 62lb. That would be a 50% increase in tire weight. This has the most effect in acceleration and braking, you’ll feel a difference in performance since you have to turn and stop more weight on the axle shaft. More effort means less mpg. My suburban i went up one tire size and got E rated tires and it dropped my combined mpg from 14mpg to 10mpg. Personally, I avoid E rated tires, a standard load tire is fine for these trucks and is what they come with.

You also have the difference in diameter which changes your effective gearing by decreasing the trucks mechanical advantage pulling the load. This isn’t as significant as weight because going from a 30” tire to a 33” tire is only roughly a 10% difference when you calculate out the actual tire sizes and the circumference. You’ll be traveling 10% faster (further) each tire rotation than your truck thinks you are. Mostly you’ll notice the speedometer is off by that same 10% (low) but you will have a little less pulling power which means your trans will hold a gear a little longer usually.

In summary, I shop for light truck tires by weight because I’m a geek.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info thanks.
Man the threads in skinny vs wide are pretty cool...
I wrote down the sizes I’m interested in and also added the inches conversion. Easier for me to understand that way.
This is what I have so far.
Like the super skinny but I bet would need new rims for those Tires

LT255/65R17
(30.1/10)
Stock size

LT285/70R17
(32.7/11.2)
Biggest size that fits 2inch lift but folks say
they rub at full turn

LT275/70R17
(32.2/10.8)
Seems to work well with no rub

LT255/80R17
(33.1/10)
I like this size but I bet the would be tight and limited tire options

LT245/75R17
(31.5/9.6)
This is probably the size I will get and not have to switch rims
Only about 1.5 smaller diameter than the largest tire that would fit.

Taller/wider/larger tires effect performance mostly due to added weight. There is also the diameter that plays a role but I’ll explain both.

Many popular offroad tires in the original size you asked about come E rated and can weigh 60lb+ each add the weight of the wheel and you’re at 90lb+ per tire. Stock wheel and tire combined weigh about 62lb. That would be a 50% increase in tire weight. This has the most effect in acceleration and braking, you’ll feel a difference in performance since you have to turn and stop more weight on the axle shaft. More effort means less mpg. My suburban i went up one tire size and got E rated tires and it dropped my combined mpg from 14mpg to 10mpg. Personally, I avoid E rated tires, a standard load tire is fine for these trucks and is what they come with.

You also have the difference in diameter which changes your effective gearing by decreasing the trucks mechanical advantage pulling the load. This isn’t as significant as weight because going from a 30” tire to a 33” tire is only roughly a 10% difference when you calculate out the actual tire sizes and the circumference. You’ll be traveling 10% faster (further) each tire rotation than your truck thinks you are. Mostly you’ll notice the speedometer is off by that same 10% (low) but you will have a little less pulling power which means your trans will hold a gear a little longer usually.

In summary, I shop for light truck tires by weight because I’m a geek.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I ordered Cooper Discover AT3’s in the 245/75R/17’s
Basically 31.5 x 9.6
I know they won’t rub with the 2 inch lift.
I’ll post some pics and review as soon as they are mounted up....

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon LB SLT 2.8L Duramaxtune. Loads of upgrades.
72 Posts
I did 285/70/R17 KO2 and they rubbed but we cut a tiny bit and changed front bumper so they are perfect now.

·
Registered
1 Posts

What made you happy to divorce your 2.8 Duramax, and what tire do you think looks best on one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts