Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I noticed that when I would hit close to 78 mph and up I would feel a vibration in the rear end. Had vehicle aligned, tires balanced, road force balanced after they put a sensor on the truck, swapped wheels etc. Now my dealer is getting GM involved because they have driven all their Colorado's on the lot and they all vibrate at those speeds. Has anyone else gone through this and if so, what did you do?

David

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Getting the dealer to believe you have a problem is the majority of the battle. Sounds like you’re on the path to a fix if there is one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I don't normally drive that fast either unless I'm on the interstate, that is why it took so long to find. Oh well, I figured someone might have the same issue, but I guess not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also experienced this on a recent trip as well. I aired up the tires to 42-43 PSI before I left, so I thought this was it. When I reduced the pressure to normal 36-37 PSI on my return, it is now greatly reduced. Now when I hit 80, it’s still there but not like before.

Makes me think it’s a tire issue. I have the optional duratracs off-road tires on my truck. I never took it to the dealer. I didn’t think they would do anything because it is only noticeable at high rates of speed.

Let us know the fix. It seems to me that it could only be a tire/wheel or driveshaft issue since it’s not noticeable in the lower gears or speeds.

Edited to ask: Did the dealer road force balance your tires ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I had the stock Goodyear’s on it I never had high speed vibrations and I had been to 90 a few more times than I should have lol. I had Cooper Destination AT3s put on and immediately had vibrations even at 45. Had them balanced again where I bought them and it was still there. I took it to the dealership I bought it at and based on what I told them they thought the tires were slipping around the rim, put slippage marks and sure enough they were slipping. So I paid to have them broke down, cleaned, remounted and road force balanced and it almost done away with the vibrations completely. The vibrations are still there but not until 75+ and even then barely noticeable. I think some of the residual vibes could be just the type of tire or a defect in the tire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, been road force balanced 2 times now and one regular balancing once. First mentioned the issue at 9k miles, now I have 40k on them. Going to mark my tires to see if they are slipping. Sounds like nothing will be done though as GM said I reported it too late.... Too bad, I'm not sure what the dealership is going to do with the other new trucks on the lot having the same problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, been road force balanced 2 times now and one regular balancing once. First mentioned the issue at 9k miles, now I have 40k on them. Going to mark my tires to see if they are slipping. Sounds like nothing will be done though as GM said I reported it too late.... Too bad, I'm not sure what the dealership is going to do with the other new trucks on the lot having the same problem.
They could be just saying that to deflect you. FYI dealers lie if they don't want to pursue the problem or would rather deal with more profitable repairs.

If there is a vibration at speed, that's not noticeable at the same RPM in a lower gear it has to be: the rim,tires or driveshaft. Those are the only things spinning at a higher speed in 6th gear while traveling at 78+ mph.

Crawl under the truck and grab the driveshaft and see if there is any play. You could take it to another independent shop and ask them to investigate the issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got my high speed vibration fixed by Big-O tires. I had them road force balance my tires, check for tire defects and check alignment.

They only charged me labor for the RFB and tire rotation so that was the issue.

The dealer did a half ass job as usual. Had to pay out of pocket but at least the issue is fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes i have the same issue. I also get a vibrations around 40 mph and towing around 60 mph. The high speed vibrations are at varying speeds above 70. They come and go. I thought it was my tires. I am now on my second set of tires (Michilens) and have the exact same problem. I have a friend who just had to have his torque converter replaced. He was getting a vibration/shutter around 40 mph and vibrations above 75. I am now thinking this is my/our issue. Heading to the dealer to see what they say ( same dealer as my friend).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes i have the same issue. I also get a vibrations around 40 mph and towing around 60 mph. The high speed vibrations are at varying speeds above 70. They come and go. I thought it was my tires. I am now on my second set of tires (Michilens) and have the exact same problem. I have a friend who just had to have his torque converter replaced. He was getting a vibration/shutter around 40 mph and vibrations above 75. I am now thinking this is my/our issue. Heading to the dealer to see what they say ( same dealer as my friend).
Any new developments on this?

My vibration came back this last weekend. I was loaded up with furniture and noticed it again as I was on the freeway.

It seems like its coming from the seat. I don't feel it in the steering wheel. It's definitely related to speed, and very noticeable above 75, however I do not have any "shudder".

I had a bottle of water in the cup holder and I could see the vibrations in the water increase as I drove faster. This was an easy way to "see" it's effect.

I also thought it was from the tires, as I have the Goodyear Duratracs which have an aggressive pattern, but now I think it may be something else.

If it was from the torque converter, wouldn't we feel it everytime the engine was at or near 2,000 RPM ? This makes me think it's from the driveshaft.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My vibration issue turned out to be the tires. Spent 4 hours at the dealer diagnosing this. My tires have between 22 and 27 lbs of road force. This is the out of round tire weight that hits the road. The mechanic at the dealer said this (small) truck should have no more than 10lbs in each tire or you will get high speed vibrations. He said he sometimes has to order a dozen tires to get 4 that are good. I had this issue with my OEM set and now with my new Michelin's. Going back to tire warehouse to try and get a new (prorated) set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has had vibrations since purchased new. I went back to the dealer twice for road force alignment and both times it did not fix the issue. I then put on factory take-off Denali 20” wheels and the vibration changed a bit but it’s still there just maybe not as bad. It’s very annoying that my 2002 S10 drove smoother than my brand new truck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mine has had vibrations since purchased new. I went back to the dealer twice for road force alignment and both times it did not fix the issue. I then put on factory take-off Denali 20” wheels and the vibration changed a bit but it’s still there just maybe not as bad. It’s very annoying that my 2002 S10 drove smoother than my brand new truck.
maybe it is not the wheel or tire, but an alignment issue. Sometime during transportation, the alignment get knocked out. Go get an alignment check on it to rule it out.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I got new tires and had a horrible vibration at 60 and above. Took it back and had the guy redo it. He said they had some really big tires he balanced before mine (the first time) and it probably put the machine out of calibration. He balanced them and said it was good; they took it for a test drive and only got up to 65. I drove it and got it up to 75 and it for pretty rough above that speed

I didn’t have confidence in taking it back to him so I went to another shop in town they said all tires were way out of balance. The first shop had an excessive amount of weights on there (I thought so when I checked them over as well). They redid it and the truck has no vibration up to 85.

One thing I noticed with how they placed the weights on the rim: first shop did it how I would have done it when I worked at a tire shop, which is put them on either edge of the rim, going around the edge. However, the second shop (that made it right) put the sticky weights across the grain essentially, so they went from one edge to the other.

Worked on my rims. Might make sure yours look the same.

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
Mine seemed fine past 80 mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts