Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here so thanks in advance for your patience and help.

I'll be ordering a Z71 soon and am considering ordering it with the babymax. A couple of questions as I've picked up on a couple of things by reading through the various posts that I'm hoping to get clarification on;
- Does the lower air dam on the front detach or is the bumper all a single pc now? I saw a couple comments about the lower air dam and didn't know if the babymax changes things on the front (I'd look to detach it).
-Unrelated to the babymax......can the ZR2 bumper be retrofitted easily onto the Z71? Looks like the grill is different as well but wasn't sure if it's an easy swap.
- Does the Z71 babymax come with all the skid plates as standard? I don't trust Chevy's website.......they show that the Z71 only comes standard with the transfer case plate but the front and mid is a $495 option now (or something like that) but I had a salesperson at the dealership tell me the Z71 comes standard with all the skid plates and said I'd be paying for something that was already included.
-If I do go babymax and not the V6, are there any specific options that are a MUST HAVE or stay the F away from? This will be a minimalist build as I don't care about fancy stuff......I want Z71, CC, SB, towing package, skid plates and block heater......I've got it all figured out except the engine choice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

The air dam looks totally separate from the bumper on my '17 but I've not looked at removing it.

I was under my Z71 the other day and I saw front & transfer case skid plates. I don't know where else a mid-plate would go, but I also don't have a build sheet in front of me to know if it was an option back in '17. (I should get a build sheet from my dealer anyways ...)

My impression was the towing package is standard with diesel. ... actually, it is: I just tried building a new Colorado on and if you try to remove towing then Chevy's website wants to remove the diesel. So consider that built-in to the cost of diesel.

You may already know but you're getting the 6-speed 6L50 with the diesel instead of the 8-speed with the gasser.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome,
I can't answer all but I can help with some of your questions.

The Z71 does not come with skids standard you have to order them. Only the small one on the X-fer case is standard.

Whether it's a D-Max or V-6 the grill and air-dam are the same on the Z-71.
Unknown on model year 2022 between the Z-R2 and the Z-71 if the bumper mount is different where it would affect the swapping of grills between models.

The block heater is not standard so you would have to order that.

The Diesel is great so long as you don't short trip all the time. If you're going to be doing a bunch of short trips the gasser is the better choice. If you're going to tow some and drive longer distances then the diesel would be my choice. As far a maintenance there is not much difference between the two. Other then the fuel filters that need to be changed on the diesel every 20K miles or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

The air dam looks totally separate from the bumper on my '17 but I've not looked at removing it.

I was under my Z71 the other day and I saw front & transfer case skid plates. I don't know where else a mid-plate would go, but I also don't have a build sheet in front of me to know if it was an option back in '17. (I should get a build sheet from my dealer anyways ...)

My impression was the towing package is standard with diesel. ... actually, it is: I just tried building a new Colorado on and if you try to remove towing then Chevy's website wants to remove the diesel. So consider that built-in to the cost of diesel.

You may already know but you're getting the 6-speed 6L50 with the diesel instead of the 8-speed with the gasser.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome,
I can't answer all but I can help with some of your questions.

The Z71 does not come with skids standard you have to order them. Only the small one on the X-fer case is standard.

Whether it's a D-Max or V-6 the grill and air-dam are the same on the Z-71.
Unknown on model year 2022 between the Z-R2 and the Z-71 if the bumper mount is different where it would affect the swapping of grills between models.

The block heater is not standard so you would have to order that.

The Diesel is great so long as you don't short trip all the time. If you're going to be doind a bunch of short trips the gasser is the better choice. If you're going to towing some and driving longer distances then the diesel would be my choice. As far a maintenance there is not much difference between the two. Other then the fuel filters that need to be changed on the diesel every 20K miles or so.
Thanks for the insight on the various items. The truck will be my daily and so it will be 30 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. Some towing here and there and then some longer weekend runs of 50-100 miles round trip depending on if I go fishing or visit family.

As for the bumper/grill swap between the ZR2 and Z71, was this possible prior to the 2022 model? Might have sounded as though you had some insight. Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the insight on the various items. The truck will be my daily and so it will be 30 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. Some towing here and there and then some longer weekend runs of 50-100 miles round trip depending on if I go fishing or visit family.

As for the bumper/grill swap between the ZR2 and Z71, was this possible prior to the 2022 model? Might have sounded as though you had some insight. Thanks!
Keep in mind
If you like high RPM horsepower
As in shove your foot to the floor and get pushed back in your seat as the revs pass 4000 to red line
get the 3.6 gas
If you like low RPM Torque and a vehicle that short shifts and likes to run at 1500 to 3000 rpm
and gets amazing fuel milage (30plus)
Get the diesel.
I spend 30 min on the highway twice a day to and from work
and 15 min twice a day on back roads.
I am blown away by doing 70mph at 1700 rpm and no loss of speed or a need to down shift on the hills.
Love the diesel it’s amazing
But it’s not quick at passing as it doesn’t like to rev…..
Pull a travel trailer with ease though..
Great mid size truck..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I compared the Dieel and the Gasser before I purchased my ZR2. The fuel mileage was a huge diferentiator for me. The gasser got about the same or worse mileage as my 3/4 ton did! The Diesel has consistently gotten me 23 around town and 27 on the hwy if I'm not doing high speed runs. It's been a great all around mid-sized truck and the ZR2 is spectacular off-road in stock trim. I drive about 50+ miles per day with longer trips a time or two a week.

Reactions: vap0rtranz

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yup, the mileage is awesome.

I just grabbed a '17 Z71 diesel and did our 1st road trip with it. 300 mile roundtrip on half 65MPH interstate and half 55MPH state highways. 30MPG! Calculated MPG the old skool, pump way but the computer was only 1 MPG over. Soft tonneau closed up & brand new Wrangler Adventure A/Ts @ 35psi (for folks who factor in tires & open beds).

Luvin the fuel efficiency.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
I liked my oil burner till the tune got punted.

Reactions: SFLTruck
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.