Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First torque converter was replaced for shudder under warranty at around 57,000 miles. #2 is starting to exhibit the same symptoms now that I'm in the 93,000 mile range. Dealer said it MAY be covered under the parts warranty BUT they want to do the PCM recall update which could be a problem w/ my tune so....

Is anyone currently using the RevMax triple disc torque converter? It's $$$$, but pulling a trans isn't cheap either even if the Delco TC is.

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
I used to think OEM parts were the best quality, now not so much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First torque converter was replaced for shudder under warranty at around 57,000 miles. #2 is starting to exhibit the same symptoms now that I'm in the 93,000 mile range. Dealer said it MAY be covered under the parts warranty BUT they want to do the PCM recall update which could be a problem w/ my tune so....

Is anyone currently using the RevMax triple disc torque converter? It's $$$$, but pulling a trans isn't cheap either even if the Delco TC is.
I have a little shudder in mine as well had the tuning company add a little more line pressure which helped some but if it goes out I’m looking at just getting a remanded tranny

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am a retired stock holder of a chain of new car stores,one of which is a gmc store. my service director told me( when asked about the tranny being a weak link in the canyon diesel ) if it were me when a trans gets 100k on it( unless its an allison) i would pull it and install a new torque converter as a preventative maintanance measure.i think i may do that, when the timecomes.i DID FLUSH AND CHANGE THE FLUID after its first 5,000 mile service. i also change oil, filter, and fuel filter on the engine every 5 k miles i could'nt be happier with the truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a little shudder in mine as well had the tuning company add a little more line pressure which helped some but if it goes out I’m looking at just getting a remanded tranny
I just started having a weird noise with mine sounded like a turbo whining had it replaced but still same noise wonder if it’s the tranny as I have had a tranny shudder since about 60000 miles

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it to a reputable local shop and after a test drive and diagnostic, he felt the shudder could be remedied with a fluid change. He said they had lots of success w/ Mobil 1 synthetic HD. I couldn't find an HD so I think it may be the LV version. He also suggested a Lucas "anti-shudder" additive".

·
Registered
208 Posts
Took it to a reputable local shop and after a test drive and diagnostic, he felt the shudder could be remedied with a fluid change. He said they had lots of success w/ Mobil 1 synthetic HD. I couldn't find an HD so I think it may be the LV version. He also suggested a Lucas "anti-shudder" additive".
GM has changed out to full syn trans fluid for at least a year now, that I know of. Since I don't overwork my trannie with big tires, tune, not using using the tow mode when I should, I stuck with stock.

We have ~45K miles, almost half with a GCVW of ~10,500# and the extra windage of a (admittedly aerodynamically clean) bed hitch trailer, with no trans problems. But I'll also say once again, sticking to 60 m/h unloads EVERYTHING.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started my trans fluid change tonight and had some questions I hope someone can answer.

When I removed the plug at the bottom that is used to indicate when the trans is full, I got about 4 quarts out. It was serviced at the dealer 40,000 miles ago. Seems like that is overfilled.

Since my truck is lifted and now sits level, should I attempt to adjust fluid level when I add fluid after the change?

I’m adding a drain plug to the pan to make the next change easier. Anyone recommend an ideal location?

Fluid is really dark for only 40,000 miles but doesn’t smell burnt. Will post pics later.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you removed the plug without the engine running you will get more out because the oil will settle in the pan (low spot) while the pump is not running. So long as you get it refilled and follow the required method of properly checking the fluid level with the vehicle running, running the trans to the proper temp and running it through R N D and so on you should be fine. The difference in the stock verses the sitting level now is not going to make a noticeable difference. I only had 10K on mine and the color difference was quite noticeable from old to new fluid. Change the filter while you're in there...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Started my trans fluid change tonight and had some questions I hope someone can answer.

When I removed the plug at the bottom that is used to indicate when the trans is full, I got about 4 quarts out. It was serviced at the dealer 40,000 miles ago. Seems like that is overfilled.

Since my truck is lifted and now sits level, should I attempt to adjust fluid level when I add fluid after the change?

I’m adding a drain plug to the pan to make the next change easier. Anyone recommend an ideal location?

Fluid is really dark for only 40,000 miles but doesn’t smell burnt. Will post pics later.
Way over filled it should barely even drip out of that check bolt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update - changed the fluid a week ago w/ AmsOil signature series. Just basic drain and fill. The shudder I was experiencing is gone and no signs of it. If anyone is experiencing shudder, try the fluid change first.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Better late than never, I had shuddering issues changing between the higher gears at @70,000 miles. I read changing the fluid may help due to possible moisture contamination, so I took the truck to the local dealer as my local mechanic didn't have the tools to swap the fluid. I know and like the dealer's family but detest the service department. They tend to lecture as opposed to have an honest conversation. Anyway, I brought the truck in for a transmission fluid change. The service department took it out for a ride with instruments attached and they indicated that at the very least I'd need a torque converter, a three thousand dollar bill. They recommended a breakdown of the transmission for one thousand dollars before they could figure out the real issue, and I may require a transmission at six thousand dollars. Apparently the labor for transmission/torque converter work is @11.5 hours, no wonder it's so expensive. They said I'd be wasting my money with the fluid change. I opted to waste my money on the fluid change, and what do you know? All the shuddering disappeared. Looking back, I'd probably change the fluid at 10,000 and 50,000. I will probably change again in @10,000. I attached the service ticket for reference.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I had mine replaced at 70000. My bill was over $3000.

·
Registered
208 Posts
"I had mine replaced at 70000. My bill was over $3000."

Without impugning any of your driving/operational habits, may I ask:

1. Were/are you tuned?
2. Were/are you running tires with the stock height?
3. If you tow(ed)/haul(ed) heavy loads, did/do you use trailer tow mode?
4. If you tow(ed)/haul(ed) heavy loads, how fast? In what terrain?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My truck is stock. I bought it new in 2016. I did by a camper after the truck but I kept the weight at the 80% max tow. My campers max weight is 5500lbs. Before the Converter went bad I only towed my camper about 5 times to a local campground at a max speed around 65.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My truck is stock. I bought it new in 2016. I did by a camper after the truck but I kept the weight at the 80% max tow. My campers max weight is 5500lbs. Before the Converter went bad I only towed my camper about 5 times to a local campground at a max speed around 65.

All seems good to me, and congrats on your judgement. Any opines on root cause of failure? Any tips for the rest of us?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts