Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Adding a DC or 110 AC outlet to the bed.

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bigoilbob 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to add some power to the bed of the truck. 110 AC would be more versatile, but even a 12 volt DC line to charge my portable HAM station battery would do fine. Wondering if there are off the shelf solutions or who would do that kind of work.

#2 ·
oak1971, here's what I use for 12VDC. All off the shelf; $50 max. for the group. Run it off the old school cig lighter or trailer power with a cord back into my enclosed bed. I use this light a lot for load and unload, chains, flat tire, etc. Very handy. I'm still looking into 120VAC inverter but have more research to do. There's a lot of offshore garbage out there.

Reactions: oak1971
#4 ·
oak1971, here's what I use for 12VDC. All off the shelf; $50 max. for the group. Run it off the old school cig lighter or trailer power with a cord back into my enclosed bed. I use this light a lot for load and unload, chains, flat tire, etc. Very handy. I'm still looking into 120VAC inverter but have more research to do. There's a lot of offshore garbage out there. View attachment 8877
Good app, but be careful with the inverter. You are good for ~100 watts, realistically, with the cig lighter plug. It's easy to plug in stuff greater than that. For example, most e bike chargers would short you out. and even gnarly portable air compressors would defuse you...
View attachment 8877
[/QUOTE]

#3 ·
Found a plug, will pick up the rest as I go. Thanks for the tip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.