Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to add a catch can to my 2017 Colorado. After all my research I’ve decided I’m going to buy a Provent 200, but don’t feel the need to spend $400 on the Sasquatch kit. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what size (diameter and length) oil hose I’ll need?
Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I couldn't tell you what hoses you'd need offhand, but I will tell you I did go with the Sasquatch kit. The stand-alone Provent 200 is $140, so the rest of the kit ends up being $260 for the bracket, custom hoses, etc. While that may seem like a lot, the quality is top-notch and the install is like it came from the factory. No fiddling with getting the hoses run right, no fabbing up your own mount, etc. It really is a great kit, but I understand some folks will have a hard time swallowing the price.

I did run a BMS catch can prior to the Provent and there's no comparison, the Provent is great. So whatever route you go I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went the Sasquatch route as well. Quality kit and fitment was pretty good. I would've liked to have just a tad more length on one of the hoses but otherwise no issues. Way less hassle than making a bracket and dealing with hose reducers/adapters.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My wallet dislikes all of you. :p
I did my Provent 200 install back in early 2020 at 7,000 mi using materials I sourced myself. There are threads somewhere on this and ColoradoFans forums on it. Just search catch can or Provent.

While I have had no issues with my install, looks and performance-wise, if the Sasquatch kit had been available (or if available and I knew it), I might have used it, although the moniker is not something I would use and do not understand that name selection.

Otherwise, the Provent, properly installed and regularly drained at oil change time, will wring/whirl a lot of fluid coming out of the PCV before it travels to the turbo inlet. In the 43,000 mi from install to 50,000 mi, I have drained more than 18 oz of said fluid from this remarkable device.

Regardless of the sourcing, kit or individual parts, you will be doing your motor and self a beneficial service.

Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sasquatch… and i’ll also be paying a local shop to adapt the bracket since it interferes with the air compressor bracket already anchored on the same stud. After dropping almost a hundred on McGard lug nuts… what’s a couple hundred more for a custom catch can fitup!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sasquatch… and i’ll also be paying a local shop to adapt the bracket since it interferes with the air compressor bracket already anchored on the same stud. After dropping almost a hundred on McGard lug nuts… what’s a couple hundred more for a custom catch can fitup!
I am not sure as to what you are referring; the S.... kit?

In my case the Provent bracket is from 2 pieces of iron L bracket from Lowe's with the leg of one cutoff and welded in a cruciform onto the other. The bracket is bolted to the fender just in front of the radiator expansion tank. Simple, sturdy, utilitarian and neat!

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado Zr2 Duramax
1 Posts
Sasquatch kit is expensive for sure but right when I opened the box, I immediately got it. The quality is top shelf, the bracket, hoses and clamps. The hoses are really...really nice, these are not Autozone hoses. These are rigid hand made in Britain hoses, very nice. Also, to the untrained eye (even most techs would probably miss it) it looks OEM for sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m looking to add a catch can to my 2017 Colorado. After all my research I’ve decided I’m going to buy a Provent 200, but don’t feel the need to spend $400 on the Sasquatch kit. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what size (diameter and length) oil hose I’ll need?
Thanks!
I posted a lengthly catch can installation story here about a year ago. You can find it here: Why you Need a Catch Can on your 2.8 Duramax

You're looking for a 5/8" smog or oil hose. Do not use water or heater hose.

I used a Raycor CCV Filter set up. Best move I ever did.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sasquatch kit is expensive for sure but right when I opened the box, I immediately got it. The quality is top shelf, the bracket, hoses and clamps. The hoses are really...really nice, these are not Autozone hoses. These are rigid hand made in Britain hoses, very nice. Also, to the untrained eye (even most techs would probably miss it) it looks OEM for sure.
The whole kit definitely looks factory. If the hoses weren't glossy, it would blend right in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!
I did not use Sasquatch kit since I knew nothing about it. I did purchase some metal to make a bracket and the fuel/oil resistant hoses and Barb fittings from NAPA. I will check and see what size it was I purchased in a follow up reply. It was way cheaper that way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks!
I looked up the receipts for parts I sourced to make sure I give you the correct information.

Two brass 3/4"-1" ID barb reducers
6' 3/4" ID hi temp, 300 psi industrial hydraulic hose (PCV to Provent and Provent to turbo inlet fitting)
2' 1" ID hi temp, 300 psi industrlal hydraulic hose (connect 3/4" hoses to Provent inlet and outlet)
4' reinforced food grade hose (Provent drain)
Brass barb, ball valve, nipple and cap (connects to drain hose routed down and fastened to front skid plate
Various ss hose clamps
All the above came from an industrial hose and gasket shop
Two 4" zinc coated iron L brackets from Lowes
Total price $163.00

Because of the price of the Sasquatch and the fact that I did not know about it, maybe not on market in Jan 2020, I might have gone a different route, but mine works and to me looks good.

Hope this gives you a different perspective and a choice I didn't have back then.

In any event, good luck and GET GOING! The Provent is the real deal.

·
Registered
277 Posts
NAPA also is a good and easy to find source for oil rated hose. Regular heater hose will soften and rot from the oil fumes after awhile.

Reactions: Streamintrip

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just also recently bought and installed the Sasquatch kit.

I only mildly looked into doing up a kit myself, but instead of spending my time (most valuable) looking up parts, kitting them, possibly buying wrong hose, etc. Wasn't worth it to me.

Purchasing the engineered solution for something like 230 bucks over the cost of the base provent was worth it to me. All quality non cheap parts.

I would recommend it as the quality is there, and it just saves you the time and hassle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just installed the Provent 200. Bought the whole kit from sasquatch parts.
Well worth it. Saves you plenty of time and looks professional. I have just under 12,000 miles on my 2019. I had a thin film of oil on the lines when I opened up the system. Wasn't a large amount but I do mostly city and idle a bit more than average. Time will tell how much oil the separator will trap.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali diesel Summit White
10 Posts
I too, went with the Sasquatch kit. I know that it seems like a lot of money for the kit but it makes the installation almost effortless. I had my last truck for 12.5 years. I intend to have this one at least that long. If you divide the cost over time, it is fairly inexpensive for a flawless and factory looking piece of equipment on a very cool truck.

Reactions: Albe23

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok finally did my first oil change with the sasquatch catch can. I don't drive much and do more idling and city driving so here are the numbers.
2,139 miles, 240 engine hours drained out 2.5 ounces. Not much on the mileage but plenty of idling and city driving so 2,139 miles may seem low but it's got plenty of idling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts