Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being warned by my tuner that some tuned trucks have been splitting the stock intercooler tubes, and then hearing of a few instances of this happening, I decided to purchase aftermarket intercooler pipes.

For me, this purchase wasn’t particularly focused on performance gains. I really don’t want to be towing in the mountains with gobs of boost and then split the stock plastic tube since I’m running more boost than stock. However, Any performance gains will be appreciated. aFe claims 14% flow improvement and S&B claims 15-16% so maybe they will work nicely together.

I was worried it wouldn’t fit well with my aftermarket S&B intake system and my Mighty Mouse catch can (which does literally nothing, different thread) but my worries were set aside when everything went together nicely.

Install was simple, just a bunch of hose clamps and such. The catch can pcv hoses were more in the way than anything else. I moved them around a little and ended up trimming the engine cover just a little bit to free up some space for the hoses.

Couple things that will make your life easier:
- lube up the intercooler fitting o-ring with some nice heavy grease, this will help make sure it doesn’t get pinched or cut when sliding onto the intercooler. Also, it will help you be able to turn those elbows easily while you’re lining things up.
- I wouldn’t lube any other connections because you don’t want pipes popping out.
- I put the silicone elbows in place first and then held the pipe up to see where everything wanted to line up
- think about what angle you would want to tighten the clamps from while you’re putting things together

Hot side pipes comparison
17FC6CE4-CF29-4BF8-B005-F5E8B6927339.jpeg

Cold side pipes comparison (stock is plastic)
792B1504-7012-4A7B-A8AA-D63A56126DFD.jpeg

To me, it looks like it would’ve been cheaper to just upgrade the cold side. I would imagine the cold side is where any problems would be since it’s the plastic tube and the rubber part is super soft. However, for looks doing both sides definitely is cooler looking.

Installed
09037A08-7411-42C6-960D-9E2C68F10A2C.jpeg

2BB92DAA-21FB-4A9D-8B06-8A0254576BDE.jpeg

79A559D3-C500-4A9D-83F7-9BF5E9349084.jpeg

Or for those of you who can’t read or prefer the quick video

·
Registered
22 Posts
After being warned by my tuner that some tuned trucks have been splitting the stock intercooler tubes, and then hearing of a few instances of this happening, I decided to purchase aftermarket intercooler pipes.

For me, this purchase wasn’t particularly focused on performance gains. I really don’t want to be towing in the mountains with gobs of boost and then split the stock plastic tube since I’m running more boost than stock. However, Any performance gains will be appreciated. aFe claims 14% flow improvement and S&B claims 15-16% so maybe they will work nicely together.

I was worried it wouldn’t fit well with my aftermarket S&B intake system and my Mighty Mouse catch can (which does literally nothing, different thread) but my worries were set aside when everything went together nicely.

Install was simple, just a bunch of hose clamps and such. The catch can pcv hoses were more in the way than anything else. I moved them around a little and ended up trimming the engine cover just a little bit to free up some space for the hoses.

Couple things that will make your life easier:
- lube up the intercooler fitting o-ring with some nice heavy grease, this will help make sure it doesn’t get pinched or cut when sliding onto the intercooler. Also, it will help you be able to turn those elbows easily while you’re lining things up.
- I wouldn’t lube any other connections because you don’t want pipes popping out.
- I put the silicone elbows in place first and then held the pipe up to see where everything wanted to line up
- think about what angle you would want to tighten the clamps from while you’re putting things together

Hot side pipes comparison
View attachment 5369

Cold side pipes comparison (stock is plastic)
View attachment 5377

To me, it looks like it would’ve been cheaper to just upgrade the cold side. I would imagine the cold side is where any problems would be since it’s the plastic tube and the rubber part is super soft. However, for looks doing both sides definitely is cooler looking.

Installed
View attachment 5385
View attachment 5393
View attachment 5401

Or for those of you who can’t read or prefer the quick video

That looks very professional. Keep us posted on any gains please

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought about getting these, but afe seems to be hit or miss with them. A number of people have had issues with them leaking around the area where they weld the afe logo to the pipe. They may have fixed that issue, keep an eye on them.

Replace the worm clamps with t-bolt clamps.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I thought about getting these, but afe seems to be hit or miss with them. A number of people have had issues with them leaking around the area where they weld the afe logo to the pipe. They may have fixed that issue, keep an eye on them.

Replace the worm clamps with t-bolt clamps.
Should be easy to tell if they leak since there is so much oil moving thru those pipes :mad::mad::eek::eek:

Others have suggested to swap out the clamps for stronger ones, but after looking over the kit and seeing all the pipes are roll flared with a nice bead, I think the ones they provide will do just fine. The factory turbo outlet and the throttle body are the unflared connections so I’ll watch them. If I have any issues illl update this thread

·
Registered
26 Posts
what benefits other than looking BAD ASS would replacing intercooler pipes,intake like yours have on a stock motor w/o a tune?after seeing how cool it looks might be worth it just for eye candy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those pipes do look very nice and I do hope it nets you some gains. If I can ask, how much time and cash do you have rapped up in that total set-up?? I like to do my own work when possible. Happy driving!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what benefits other than looking BAD ASS would replacing intercooler pipes,intake like yours have on a stock motor w/o a tune?after seeing how cool it looks might be worth it just for eye candy!
If you haven’t cracked a stock pipe and aren’t running gobs of boost, I’m not sure there is much benefit. Time will tell. aFe claims 14% better flow (which I think is probably right considering the big pinch in the factory pipe) S&B claims 15-16% better flow. on a stock truck you might get another mpg or two and a little quicker response but nothing major. I doubt the pipes give me anything more than peace of mind that I won’t crack a plastic factory pipe while towing and a cool look. Wasn’t sure when I ordered the red but now I’m glad I did.

Those pipes do look very nice and I do hope it nets you some gains. If I can ask, how much time and cash do you have rapped up in that total set-up?? I like to do my own work when possible. Happy driving!!
Thanks, if you’ve looked through all my posts you know I’ve done it all myself. Just can’t stop tinkering. Just under the hood including the tune I’m well over $2k in “performance” stuff. Most of that cash wrapped up in the tune, the S&B and aFe both have MAP pricing so their price is the same no matter what vendor you find

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aFe seems to have great service. Emailed them and asked for a few extra o-rings and five minutes later I had a tracking number, no charge.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you haven’t cracked a stock pipe and aren’t running gobs of boost, I’m not sure there is much benefit. Time will tell. aFe claims 14% better flow (which I think is probably right considering the big pinch in the factory pipe) S&B claims 15-16% better flow. on a stock truck you might get another mpg or two and a little quicker response but nothing major. I doubt the pipes give me anything more than peace of mind that I won’t crack a plastic factory pipe while towing and a cool look. Wasn’t sure when I ordered the red but now I’m glad I did.

Thanks, if you’ve looked through all my posts you know I’ve done it all myself. Just can’t stop tinkering. Just under the hood including the tune I’m well over $2k in “performance” stuff. Most of that cash wrapped up in the tune, the S&B and aFe both have MAP pricing so their price is the same no matter what vendor you find
I like to tinker myself and being that I'm retired I'm afraid my wallet can't back-up all the spare time I've got. trying not to make this truck another "hobby". Again good luck! MADMAC:D

·
Registered
587 Posts
I like to tinker myself and being that I'm retired I'm afraid my wallet can't back-up all the spare time I've got. trying not to make this truck another "hobby". Again good luck! MADMAC:D
MadMac, sound like you and I are in similar situation. In your case too much time and not having infinite bank account. In my case due to my back injury, wife and doctor limit me to a max of 2” lift with mild off-road only. So it totally limit my ability to tinker.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suppose this truck is turning into a hobby, the crawler hasn’t needed anything in a while as far as parts or work, so maybe that’s why I’ve been messing with the Colorado

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The eye candy factor is a bonus for sure. Lots of people come up to me and ask me about my truck. Sometimes when they see me filling it with diesel and sometimes when they see me towing with it. Often they want to see under the hood (dont know why, because all modern cars are plastic looking under the hood) but now I will be proud to pop the hood (;

·
Registered
213 Posts
they certainly look bad ass. is there any issue getting the oil filter out of there? can't tell from the angles, but it looks a little tight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
MadMac, sound like you and I are in similar situation. In your case too much time and not having infinite bank account. In my case due to my back injury, wife and doctor limit me to a max of 2” lift with mild off-road only. So it totally limit my ability to tinker.
R.P.B, I'm right there with you. I have to wear a leg brace on my left foot/leg and I broke my right leg in a dirt bike crash, so I'm a little "crippled-up" in my golden years, so I pretty much like the truck the way it is. Lifts and taller tires are kind of out of the equation. Buttttttttt, engine performance mods could be in it's future??? We'll see. MADMAC:rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I suppose this truck is turning into a hobby, the crawler hasn’t needed anything in a while as far as parts or work, so maybe that’s why I’ve been messing with the Colorado
Vehicles are like houses, you get one thing taken care of and something else needs attention. My Jeep(s) and Bronco were the same way, if something could be improved upon or look more "BadAss", out comes the wallet or CC, and I won't even go into my M.X./Desert racing "hobby"! Again I'll be checking out future posts and hope your wallet can handle the strain.MADMAC:cool:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update:
Drove through the smoky mountains this weekend and the engine and trans tune, intake and charge pipes all play very very well together. Pulls incredibly well holding gears up hills and I’m finally enjoying the noises from the S&B. Also managed great mpgs the entire time.

@Pergrem was correct. I have a tiny tiny leak in one pipe where the badge is welded on. Doesn’t seem to effect performance, but I have placed a warranty claim with aFe. Since I have pcv oil vapors going thru those pipes, oil was dribbling out so it is obvious. I’ll let you guys know how afe is with warranty claims (I expect it go smoothly since they’ve already sent me spare parts free by my request)

Also, haven’t had any issues with the clamps they provide, but I took @Burgess159 advice and have ordered some Mack daddy clamps for added peace of mind.
906EF9DE-7DCE-4947-AC43-09ED6FB54233.png

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:
aFe sent out a tracking number with replacement parts shortly after a customer service rep reached out to me. They’re a few hours behind me so they took care of my issue before lunch time. :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts