Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw a thread similar to this a while back, but I can't find it. I had DPF issues at 38,000 miles and had it replaced, but from 38,000 to 41,000 city driving stayed around 22-23 and highway at 70-77 around 28-29, but now the last 400 miles which has been primarily around town city driving the mileage has gone down to 16-7 for some reason? Anybody seen this before or have an idea what might be going wrong? I guess I may have to take it in to the dealer and see what they say. Thanks in advance for your replies

·
Registered
177 Posts
Haven't see this before but when you figure it out can you please let us know what the cause was.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought I saw a thread similar to this a while back, but I can't find it. I had DPF issues at 38,000 miles and had it replaced, but from 38,000 to 41,000 city driving stayed around 22-23 and highway at 70-77 around 28-29, but now the last 400 miles which has been primarily around town city driving the mileage has gone down to 16-7 for some reason? Anybody seen this before or have an idea what might be going wrong? I guess I may have to take it in to the dealer and see what they say. Thanks in advance for your replies
REGEN

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what you mean? How do I know if it has been regening? I can't tell when it does. If I take it to the dealer can they see the regen histgory? What effect does it have on mileage? If it isn't regening, is the DPF getting clogged up and effecting the mileage? I guess I'll try to take it in to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure what you mean? How do I know if it has been regening? I can't tell when it does. If I take it to the dealer can they see the regen histgory? What effect does it have on mileage? If it isn't regening, is the DPF getting clogged up and effecting the mileage? I guess I'll try to take it in to the dealer soon.
Yes "regen" does affect your mpg because there is a fuel injector mounted on the exhaust system. When the ECM decides it's time for a "regen" it turns on that injector. The MPG drop is calculated into the fuel usage on the display. So what Scarfile is saying is maybe your stuck in a "regen" and that's why the MPG's are down. Don't leave it this way it will shorten the DPF if that's the issue. And yes, the dealer can plug in and check that out for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes "regen" does affect you mpg because there is a fuel injector mounted on the exhaust system. When the ECM decides it's time for a "regen" it turns on that injector. The MPG drop is calculated into the fuel usage on the display. So what Scarfile is saying is maybe your stuck in a "regen" and that's why the MPG's are down. Don't leave it this way it will shorten the DPF if that's the issue. And yes, the dealer can plug in and check that out for you.
Thanks, I'll get it in to the dealer and update this thread

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been meaning to post this update, but moved and was busy. Anyway, took it to the dealer in La Quinta, CA and they checked it out and said everything looked ok with the emission system and regenning. I had the oil changed and since it was about 15k since the fuel filter was changed, I had that done. First tank after fuel filter change, mpg went back up close to 22, actually 21.6, the second tank was even a little better, 22.8, see pics attached. A friend of mine, a long time Chevy Silverado diesel owner, says he changes his fuel filter every 5,000 miles or the mpg drops off dramatically. I think my variation between these two observed tanks is primarily due to the type of driving, more freeway driving on the second tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts