Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Has anyone attempted to install a by pass oil filter system ?
I sent an email to AMSOIL about making a kit for our trucks. They didn’t comment on it though.

I would really like to see this mod. If you search you can see that the soot in a Diesel engine is abrasive.
This is one of the reasons I would never do extendoil changes on a diesel.

We need to find a safe place to tap into the high pressure side of the oil system a then a place to return the clean oil.
There is a concern with these systems. They lower your oil pressure just a bit. Some of the oil pressure is diverted to the bypass filter. Theory is it’s better for the motor to have clean oil over a small lose in pressure.

I have seen where one guy drilled a hole in the oil fill cap for the clean oil return line.

The nice thing about a screw on filter instead of the paper cartridge style we have is that you can get an adapter that goes under the screw on filter that supplies a cone place for the bypass filter. Making install a complete no brainer.

Also I not a fan of this cheap paper oil filters we have to use. There are much better filters out there to choose from in the screw on design. Like AMSOIL....

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I have owned my ZR2 diesel since 2017 when i purchased it new. Now has 15k miles on it. I just now learned about the by-pass oil filter systems. Its a great idea i think but i have only found one company that makes a dedicated kit and it costs over $500! I want to keep this truck as i really like it. However i wonder if the cost is worth it. I suppose it is if i keep it for good. What surprises me is as far as i know the 2.8 duramax has been in a colorado/canyon for over 4 years and yet there is limited to no info on installing one of these systems on it. One issue is the type oil filter this engine uses because it doesnt support the spin on adaptor for the output line to the by-pass filter. I was told by a vendor i could put a "T" fitting where the oil pressure sensor is to supply it but I havent really checked that out. I wonder if there is a place or line to the stock filter housing that could be used? /Again i havent really looked at it closely I have emailed Amsol to see what they say but never heard back from them and they only sell a universal kit that offers no details. Since the post on this topic is pretty old i guess nobody else was very interested in doing the mod. I will also be doing the oil catch can mod. I wont do any deletes as in addition to the warranty issues if i did want to trade in the truck, no dealer would take it due to the epa stuff. I know i loose money on a trade but selling a truck privately is a major PITA. I considered buying a complete kit for another truck and modifying it to fit but the input issue still looms. If there have been any other updates since the last post in 2018 please comment. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts