Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in putting a back-up camera on a trailer and there are simple options that use a Wifi transmitter coupled with a camera and they work with an App to show the video on your phone or tablet. I was wondering if anybody had done a DIY and been able to have it send the video directly to the monitor in the truck? It would be nice to have a smart one that sensed when a trailer was attached and used the trailer camera and used the truck camera when it wasn't.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine sees through the headlights, and works quite well. You have to have headlights on, but I'm fine with that. We have ours checking our bike rack, and it has worked flawlessly for 2 years/20,000 miles of towing with a bike rack on back. We use it to watch the bikes. The monitor fits perfectly on the crease inside the windshield, above dashboard (i.e. we do NOT use the factory display). IMO, I would not hog the factory screen, even if you could. It does too many things

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i assume by "sees through the headlights" you mean you are powering the camera system through the headlights? there are some cheapie systems on amazon and ebay for like $50 that include wireless transmitter and camera and i might just try one of those and use an old phone as a monitor. i also like the idea of always on or being able to turn it on so i can see what's going on back there when not in reverse.

·
Registered
237 Posts
thanks, i assume by "sees through the headlights" you mean you are powering the camera system through the headlights? there are some cheapie systems on amazon and ebay for like $50 that include wireless transmitter and camera and i might just try one of those and use an old phone as a monitor. i also like the idea of always on or being able to turn it on so i can see what's going on back there when not in reverse.

"i assume by "sees through the headlights" you mean you are powering the camera system through the headlights? "

Thanks, but too kind. The truth is that, after 2-1/2 years, I completely forgot how my system worked and substituted a hallucinogenic alternative about sending the info thru my 12 volt system. You are, of course, correct. My cam uses running light power, and sends it's output to my monitor over the ether. The monitor plugs into the 12v port formerly know as the cig lighter receptacle.

The only thing I got right was the system reliability. It has always worked, and has provided us with peace if mind w.r.t. bikes riding correctly in the rack. I can also point it back when the bikes aren't with us.

I'm sure the systems have gotten cheaper, but I would do a little research. If only to avoid excess mounting holes from jetting your first choice, and having to drill more for your second choice. Ours is RVS. China made. 5" screen. I would not use a phone for a display. Too small, and doing it right is not that many $...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good advice about not going on the cheap. nice thing about the system i was pondering is that nothing requires permanent mounting, the wifi transmitter can just tuck into a cabinet and tap into any 12V line for power, the camera can be put on to the inside of the rear window using double sided tape and gets its power from the transmitter. i also have an old ipad mini i could use for monitor i think but, since it's going to be on the dash, i was trying to keep it all small. there are other cheapie systems that come with their own monitor but they use an App that reviewers complained was very buggy. still considering options but i'm concluding that using the existing truck monitor will be too complicated.
thanks for your thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts