Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals... just wondering if anyone is unhappy with their purchase? I've have my 2016 Colorado 2.8L midnight edition for exactly a year now and am not happy with it at all.. I find the 2.8L WAY too underpowered as mine struggles to get to highway speed (100kms/h being in Canada) without almost hiting the rev limit... also it its very small (i realize that it is a mid sized pickup and coming from a lifted 1500 sierra There is a huge difference) but it just seems like I'm driving around in a minivan. Any body else feel the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
They are quite laggy. I have a 2017 Canyon All Terrain and it is laggy. Especially if you mash the pedal from a stop. It hesitates and then goes and then actually goes...It's turbo lag I believe which is due to all the emissions bull crap on the truck. You need to look into getting your truck tuned and even better deleted if you can. I don't know if you have to pass emissions or an inspection to drive the vehicle in Canada, or how strict it is if you do. You can for sure tune the truck, and if you can, delete it too and it should make even more of a difference. I would go with one of these two, even if they are pretty much the same company. DuramaxTuner doesn't do delete tuning while Motor Ops (Canada based btw) does. For all intents and purposes though, I do believe they have the same exact tunes for our trucks.

http://duramaxtuner.com/2-8lduramax/2-8l-duramax-colorado-canyon-spade.html

http://motorops.ca/tuning/duramax/2-8l-duramax-canyon-colorado-auto-cal.html

Here is a video from DuramaxTuner to show you the difference too. Doing this should help you go from being unhappy to very (I hope) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are quite laggy. I have a 2017 Canyon All Terrain and it is laggy. Especially if you mash the pedal from a stop. It hesitates and then goes and then actually goes...It's turbo lag I believe which is due to all the emissions bull crap on the truck. You need to look into getting your truck tuned and even better deleted if you can. I don't know if you have to pass emissions or an inspection to drive the vehicle in Canada, or how strict it is if you do. You can for sure tune the truck, and if you can, delete it too and it should make even more of a difference. I would go with one of these two, even if they are pretty much the same company. DuramaxTuner doesn't do delete tuning while Motor Ops (Canada based btw) does. For all intents and purposes though, I do believe they have the same exact tunes for our trucks.

Here is a video from DuramaxTuner to show you the difference too. Doing this should help you go from being unhappy to very (I hope) :)

Thanks ! I wish I could do all of that but I bought the extended warranty and I'm afraid doing those two things will void the next 6 years on my warranty .. ill have to look into it more! thanks for the links also!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Deleting definitely would void the warranty. However, tuning will not void it (to the best of my knowledge). I got the extended warranty as well. But, the emissions warranty runs out regardless of having an extended warranty or not at 36,000 miles on the truck I believe. Yes, should you have engine troubles and your truck is tuned, they could say the tunes did it and not warranty it. But if you have something wrong with the suspension or steering on the truck (which from the problems you listed in your other post you might), tuning won't void the warranty.

You could always tune the truck from say Motor Ops, run it around for a few years and then after the warranty runs out and if you want, you could buy the delete part of the tune from them and then get rid of your emissions equipment. Just a thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deleting definitely would void the warranty. However, tuning will not void it (to the best of my knowledge). I got the extended warranty as well. But, the emissions warranty runs out regardless of having an extended warranty or not at 36,000 miles on the truck I believe. Yes, should you have engine troubles and your truck is tuned, they could say the tunes did it and not warranty it. But if you have something wrong with the suspension or steering on the truck (which from the problems you listed in your other post you might), tuning won't void the warranty.

You could always tune the truck from say Motor Ops, run it around for a few years and then after the warranty runs out and if you want, you could buy the delete part of the tune from them and then get rid of your emissions equipment. Just a thought.
that could be an option.. im going to visit the dealership and see what I can and can't do under my warranty, and do as much as I can haha

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey guys and gals... just wondering if anyone is unhappy with their purchase? I've have my 2016 Colorado 2.8L midnight edition for exactly a year now and am not happy with it at all.. I find the 2.8L WAY too underpowered as mine struggles to get to highway speed (100kms/h being in Canada) without almost hiting the rev limit... also it its very small (i realize that it is a mid sized pickup and coming from a lifted 1500 sierra There is a huge difference) but it just seems like I'm driving around in a minivan. Any body else feel the same?
Well, I have the 2.8L and granted it's not a "horse power" monster and when I pull out to pass someone I have to keep it in mind that it is not as quick as the gas version, it will still get up and go with reason. Maybe yours might need to be checked out by a dealer to see what issue(s) it might have. Mine seems to accelerate just fine for a diesel but I don't use at the drag strip much. Glad to say I'm pretty happy with ours at this time. Good luck!:D

·
Registered
179 Posts

I believe the emissions warranty goes out to 60,000 miles just like gas vehicles, at least when I worked as a service manager for GM in '96. But things might have changed since.:)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Test drive a vehicle before you purchase it next time. :D

Seriously. Tune that sh!t. The truck is a completely different animal after a tune. You’ll be giddy everytime you push the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you want to keep your warranty I wouldn't install any tunes. If you flash the ECU or TCM with EFI Live it will leave a signature so the dealership will know about it. Some tunes will remove the safeties or alter the protocols which could damage something if over-used.

Even installing a catch can, or High Flow Air Filter which is can void your powertrain warranty.

You could always get a refund for the cost of the extended warranty, and install the tunes and upgrade at will.

Emission Control System Limited Warranty

For light duty trucks, see “How to Determine the Applicable Emissions Control Systems Warranty” under Emission Control System Warranty in your Chevrolet Limited Warranty booklet for more information. Defects and performance for car and light-duty truck emission control systems are covered for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. From the first 2 years or 24,000 miles to 3 years or 36,000 miles defects in material or workmanship continue to be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty coverage. Specified major components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. Defects and performance for heavy duty truck emission control systems including those found in 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engines are covered for the first 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

- California: Defects and performance for cars and trucks with light duty or medium duty emission control systems are covered for the first 3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Specified components for cars or light duty trucks equipped with light duty or medium duty truck emission control systems are covered for the first 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. Defects and performance for emission control systems found in trucks equipped with 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engines are covered for the first 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Specified components for the emission control systems of 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engines are covered for the first 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. Some California emission vehicles may have special coverages than those listed here. See “California Emission Control System Warranty” in your Chevrolet Limited Warranty booklet.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
haha ya, I believe it! problem is a tune would void my warranty
GM will require the flash log on a big claim like a new engine or trans or something, and they’ll deny the claim. I understood the risks and am willing to pay to play. On a small claim at a great dealership you can probably flash to stock and have no problems

Aftermarket trans parts are available and people know how to build them since it’s a common trans. Aftermarket turbo is right around the corner (Duramaxtuner is going to offer a replacement turbo instead of just the compressor wheel)

Keep in mind the warranty will still be good on all your other gadgets and doodads. Electronics and computers are expensive.

I wanted to wait until warranty was up, and then I wanted to wait until 20,000 miles and then I said ok well 10,000 will be good enough and then I just said screw it I haven’t had any problems in 3,000 miles let’s do this! Been tuned 10,000 miles now with no problems and my tuner has excellent communication any time I have a question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GM will require the flash log on a big claim like a new engine or trans or something, and they’ll deny the claim. I understood the risks and am willing to pay to play. On a small claim at a great dealership you can probably flash to stock and have no problems

Aftermarket trans parts are available and people know how to build them since it’s a common trans. Aftermarket turbo is right around the corner (Duramaxtuner is going to offer a replacement turbo instead of just the compressor wheel)

Keep in mind the warranty will still be good on all your other gadgets and doodads. Electronics and computers are expensive.

I wanted to wait until warranty was up, and then I wanted to wait until 20,000 miles and then I said ok well 10,000 will be good enough and then I just said screw it I haven’t had any problems in 3,000 miles let’s do this! Been tuned 10,000 miles now with no problems and my tuner has excellent communication any time I have a question.

Good to know! I'll keep that in mind. thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Love, my truck and love the engine.

Normally I'd never say, "yours is broken, because mine doesn't do that" but I can accelerate to 75mph without holding up traffic without ever exceeding 2500 rpm. Maybe you're just impatient and expect it to get there sooner based on your previous vehicle so you're matting the throttle and expecting it accelerate faster?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Love, my truck and love the engine.

Normally I'd never say, "yours is broken, because mine doesn't do that" but I can accelerate to 75mph without holding up traffic without ever exceeding 2500 rpm. Maybe you're just impatient and expect it to get there sooner based on your previous vehicle so you're matting the throttle and expecting it accelerate faster?

Thanks for the reply, I think you are right. I'm probably expecting faster because of previous vehicles I have owned.. I have to realize that it is 2.8L not a V8 haha but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the lag tho

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I think you are right. I'm probably expecting faster because of previous vehicles I have owned.. I have to realize that it is 2.8L not a V8 haha but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the lag tho
I'd almost be more wary of messing with throttle response alone than I would be of putting a full tune on it. The reason being that the "lag" you notice is almost surely there intentionally to reduce the soot created by quickly spraying a bunch of fuel into the cylinders. You may find that you experience more dpf cleaning cycles after doing this which would shorten the life of the dpf, reduce fuel economy and increase the amount of def used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd almost be more wary of messing with throttle response alone than I would be of putting a full tune on it. The reason being that the "lag" you notice is almost surely there intentionally to reduce the soot created by quickly spraying a bunch of fuel into the cylinders. You may find that you experience more dpf cleaning cycles after doing this which would shorten the life of the dpf, reduce fuel economy and increase the amount of def used.

I agree! just worried about my warranty.. I bought the extended which cover pretty much everything. the tune would compromise the warranty

·
Registered
61 Posts

I agree! just worried about my warranty.. I bought the extended which cover pretty much everything. the tune would compromise the warranty
I did the Green Diesel Engineering Hot tune, Trans Tune, all deletes Efi Live, wow!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
From my experience these motors tend to pull harder on the low end of the rev range, they pull hard from just off idle to about 2500rpm any higher than that it really falls on its face. I would almost say the truck is faster at half throttle than it is at full throttle because when its floored it keeps the rpms very high and these motor don't make very much horse power but they do make good torque.

So instead of keeping it to the wood let it up shift keep the rpms in the power band and the truck will accelerate faster.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
From my experience these motors tend to pull harder on the low end of the rev range, they pull hard from just off idle to about 2500rpm any higher than that it really falls on its face. I would almost say the truck is faster at half throttle than it is at full throttle because when its floored it keeps the rpms very high and these motor don't make very much horse power but they do make good torque.

So instead of keeping it to the wood let it up shift keep the rpms in the power band and the truck will accelerate faster.
Yea, it seems to accelerate better off the line when you don't have your foot all the way to the floor. Usually, I roll into the throttle, say start at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle to get going, and once you get moving, you can lay into it more, somewhere around half throttle to 2/3 and it gets you moving fairly quickly.

However...last night, I was trying to cross traffic to turn left and I had a small window to get through traffic. Well, I must have pressed too far down on the throttle at the beginning, because the truck starts creeping out into traffic. I freak out because cars are coming so I put it to the floor and nothing happens....thankfully, the truck FINALLY took off and when it did, it went. Never had that happen before but all the more reason to go with a tune (and delete) as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts