Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought a 2016 'rado Duramax. All the discussions on a delete seem to be old. I realize they are technically not legal now, but so is jaywalking and mattress tag ripping, right?

Did everyone just stop doing it or is it becoming taboo to talk about?

What's the deal?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi I just bought a 2016 'rado Duramax. All the discussions on a delete seem to be old. I realize they are technically not legal now, but so is jaywalking and mattress tag ripping, right?

What's the deal?
Well because the EPA boned every dealer so it's taboo to talk about it. I'm sure it's still being done because the whole limp mode thing is a total bonehead move forced onto the manufacturers by our idiot government agencies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well because the EPA boned every dealer so it's taboo to talk about it. I'm sure it's still being done because the whole limp mode thing is a total bonehead move forced onto the manufacturers by our idiot government agencies.
Is there any other reason why someone shouldn't delete? It's not like I need to service the truck at the dealership. Would an independent technician ever flash the ECU on me? It would only take a 10 second look under the hood to see it's deleted. I don't want to box myself out of being serviced in case something comes up outside of my skill set.

I really don't even care to tune it for higher power, have it loud or any of that. I just want all 5 million temperamental sensors off so that there's no chance of me getting stuck in limp mode during a long drive.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is there any other reason why someone shouldn't delete? It's not like I need to service the truck at the dealership. Would an independent technician ever flash the ECU on me? It would only take a 10 second look under the hood to see it's deleted. I don't want to box myself out of being serviced in case something comes up outside of my skill set.

I really don't even care to tune it for higher power, have it loud or any of that. I just want all 5 million temperamental sensors off so that there's no chance of me getting stuck in limp mode during a long drive.

Well there's a few points of consideration to think about.

First, is the fact that it's technically illegal per the EPA.

Second, it will make selling the truck harder down the road unless you find a private buyer who doesn't care or want to deal with this crap in the first place. Also, you will not be able to do a dealer trade on it because they won't want to touch it.

Third, if your state does inspections on diesels it will fail.

I doubt an independent shop would ever flash the ECM without the customer knowing about it first. If that did happen you could always put the tune file back in, however there's a risk of stored CEL's causing issues. This is because tune files need to be installed into the ECM without any CEL's being active. In other words you can't wait until there's a problem and then delete. You have too proactively do the delete without any stored codes and then install the new tune file.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there's a few points of consideration to think about.

First, is the fact that it's technically illegal per the EPA.

Second, it will make selling the truck harder down the road unless you find a private buyer who doesn't care or want to deal with this crap in the first place. Also, you will not be able to do a dealer trade on it because they won't want to touch it.

Third, if your state does inspections on diesels it will fail.

I doubt an independent shop would ever flash the ECM without the customer knowing about it first. If that did happen you could always put the tune file back in, however there's a risk of stored CEL's causing issues. This is because tune files need to be installed into the ECM without any CEL's being active. In other words you can't wait until there's a problem and then delete. You have too proactively do the delete without any stored codes and then install the new tune file.
Wait so if I pop a code for a def fluid or something, I can't just reset the fault and then flash? I didn't know that.

It seems like the emissions system is causing people massive headaches from my research? Or do you think I'm just seeing what I'm looking for? I have 84k on the odo. I am hoping to get a little more than double that at least.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wait so if I pop a code for a def fluid or something, I can't just reset the fault and then flash? I didn't know that.

It seems like the emissions system is causing people massive headaches from my research? Or do you think I'm just seeing what I'm looking for? I have 84k on the odo. I am hoping to get a little more than double that at least.
[/QUOTE]

Well keep in mind that hundreds of thousands of these trucks have been sold since 2015. The percentage of issue seen online versus the ones with zero problems are quite different. The problem with blogs is people tend to predominantly come in when they have a problem seeking an answer, not because they want to tell others how happy they are with their vehicle choice. This give the casual reader the feeling of doom and gloom.

I think if you use a good diesel fuel additive every tank for cheap insurance, do regular maintenance and just enjoy your truck it will last well into the 200K miles area. Keep in mind a timing belt will be needed at 150K per GM.

As far as the codes go if you can get the code to reset you would be fine. Some codes require some drive time to clear and so if there's a persistent code coming up it could cause a headache trying to clear it after the new tune is loaded.

·
Super Moderator
566 Posts
Unfortunately, EPA has decided to kill Diesel engines by 1,000 small cuts.

·
Super Moderator
566 Posts
What about those of us who live in areas without emissions testing? The most difficult thing for us is going to be sourcing the kits and getting them from Canada to our homes.
I can't give any guidance. However, "we didn't see anybody do anything."

·
Registered
9 Posts

What's the deal?
I have a 2017 that at 69k I started having emissionemissions issue mainly related to DEF and DPF so I was maf I followed the book on oil and Def and still issues $3500 to fix GM way I was gonna dump it but heard of the other fix for about $2k did that best decision I ever made gonna keep it for ever!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2017 that at 69k I started having emissionemissions issue mainly related to DEF and DPF so I was maf I followed the book on oil and Def and still issues $3500 to fix GM way I was gonna dump it but heard of the other fix for about $2k did that best decision I ever made gonna keep it for ever!
Can you share how one may do the other fix? Im going to go and ask in person if any diesel shops can help me. I live in Texas where 99% of diesels here are deleted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.