Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Are you the only 2.8 Diesel in your Area?

12K views 56 replies 34 participants last post by  bigoilbob 
#1 ·
So, when we went to Ohio last week for vacation, something I noticed is that there aren't many of these Colorados/ Canyons running around. I think I saw 3 in Ohio while we were there and don't recall passing any on I-70 going there or coming home. I did pass a blacked out Colorado (gas) on the side of I-71 near Columbus and I think I saw another one in Columbus when we were there visiting my cousin. But they just don't seem to be around that much.

My uncle did give our Canyon a look over as he is considering buying a gas Colorado/ Canyon sometime, and did say the local Chevy dealer has quite a few of the Colorado's on hand, but I still didn't see many while driving around. Now, in St. Louis and the surrounding cities here in Missouri, I see them all the time, mainly Colorado's with gas engines and that could be because they are more readily available here since they are built just outside of St. Louis in Wentzville, MO.

I will say, there is only 1 other diesel Colorado (kind of a burnt red color with black fender flares) that I have seen, that I can recall, and they actually live in the same town as me. The gas engine trucks are popular, but I just don't see the diesels. And diesel is cheap here in Missouri! Currently $2.10 a gallon here in my town. 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups are extremely popular in this area, or maybe just Missouri in general, but there just aren't any Colorado's or Canyons hardly.

What about in your area, are the Colorados/ Canyons popular and how about the diesel powered ones? Or is it just a select few of us who have them? :D

See less See more
#9 ·
I've seen one Canyon diesel running around my area, but that's it.

I get people yelling at me when I fill up all the time... "Dude, that's a diesel pump, you're going to kill your truck!" :)
Haven't had anyone say that yet to me, dunno if the wife has. We decided to get a Duramax "D" decal for the back window. I haven't received it yet, but I'll put a picture on here when I do. Want others to know I'm proud to own a baby Duramax :cool:

#11 ·
I've seen a few, and one exactly like mine a few weeks ago. Lot of gas trucks in Tampa, I suspect most are 2WD.
I kind of wondered if they wouldn't sell a decent amount of 2WD trucks in the southern states. Not because you all don't go offroading in your trucks down there. I was thinking of using 4WD more in the winter time in snow more than anything.

#13 ·
I sell trucks in Arkansas, we may have 1 snow day a year, and usually its melted off by noon. for every 100 full size 4x4 trucks, we may have 1 or 2 2x4 trucks. as for the colorados, on the gas burner its probably only 20% that are 4x4, where as I have seen only one 2wd Colorado or canyon diesel since they released. most of our trucks are 4wd, and are sold on the premise that "you may not need it now and you may never use it at all, but when you try to sell it at 200k miles, a 4x4 will still be a good truck for a kid who wants to take it mudding"

#16 ·
I thought I saw a clone of mine driving through a nearby town: black GMC Canyon CCLB, All-Terrain. Got up on him....little exhaust pipe and no hood badge. Just a gasser :(

Saw the Colorado diesel that lives in my town the other day. It's an orange-red color with black fender flares. Also passed a dark red GMC Canyon (SLT or Denali) Duramax this past weekend on the road. I caught a glimpse of the bade on the hood as he went by :cool:

#33 ·
I think a few things are slowing sales. First is marketing. Until i started looking i didnt know GM had a little diesel. The first time i pulled into work i had 2 guys ask me about the truck. Young car guys that didnt knpw about the 2.8. Second, price. Most people are buying the full size. The mid size market is almost as expensive as the full size. Third, familiarity. The average person isnt familiar with owning/operating a diesel. I know a lot of people that only know how to put in gas and turn on the key. Gauges are a complete mystery let alone DEF, exhaust break, etc. Fourth, most diesel owners need heavy duty trucks to tow 8-10k. Dont forget that some people are gun shy after the VW epa conspiracy.

I owned a 2013 VW Passet TDI w/ 96K miles, loved it, loved the 46MPG but when they offered to buy it back for 10k less than I payed for it, I jumped at the offer. Now I have a 2017 SLT 4x4 Canyon, only had it for about a month and I enjoy it. I sure do miss the 46MPG but I cant complain about the 28-31MPG since it's a 4x4 truck.

#23 ·
I think a few things are slowing sales. First is marketing. Until i started looking i didnt know GM had a little diesel. The first time i pulled into work i had 2 guys ask me about the truck. Young car guys that didnt knpw about the 2.8. Second, price. Most people are buying the full size. The mid size market is almost as expensive as the full size. Third, familiarity. The average person isnt familiar with owning/operating a diesel. I know a lot of people that only know how to put in gas and turn on the key. Gauges are a complete mystery let alone DEF, exhaust break, etc. Fourth, most diesel owners need heavy duty trucks to tow 8-10k. Dont forget that some people are gun shy after the VW epa conspiracy.

#27 ·
Denver Colorado here. Quite a few Colorado's here, and all gas. I'm one of few diesels. Especially 18 ZR2 Diesel! Unlikely to find the combination! Off-road this truck will blow your mind! The suspension, locking diffs, and low end torque is a no-brainer! I'm amazed! Not to mention 30+ mpg hwy!!! Awesome, amazing, badass pickup!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.