Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don’t sell your diesel plant and keep production of a diesel truck....
It was very easy to see this coming.
If you consider how difficult it was for GM techs to resolve issues and the amount of time it took to get parts..........
It was obvious the diesel was a goner...

To bad because I really like getting 30+ mpg out of a truck....

Another BAD decision brought to you buy GM

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And one of the few remaining 2021 cclb diesel 4x is at an $8000 markup.
I wonder if that will backfire on the dealer as most people will be a bit Leary of buying a truck that has been discontinued for 8000.00 over list....

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
I wonder how GM will fulfill the Defense Dept contract for that light recon vehicle. It was supposed to have the 2.8 Duramax.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder how GM will fulfill the Defense Dept contract for that light recon vehicle. It was supposed to have the 2.8 Duramax.
Interesting
I am not aware of this vehicle, will the 3.0 fit ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Interesting
I am not aware of this vehicle, will the 3.0 fit ?
No because it's based on a modified ZR2 Colorado 2.8. it won't fit, plus the contract calls out all the details and it calls for the 2.8. Should prove to be interesting how this plays out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the plant still making the 2.8?
I bet GM made sure they have enough stock to fulfill the order.

I been thinking , GM said they hardened the 2.8 to make it better for the N American market.
But the hardening has cost some a destroyed engine.
GM changed the injectors and the pump among other things saying it needed to be done to qualify for a Duramax badge
So my question is how much trouble do the Australian owners have with the 2.8.....
Australians love there small diesels so if GM doesn’t produce one any more I suppose that will be the end of Colorado sales there... Or did GM sales end with the closure of the hated Holdon Co.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have not seen the contract specifications but I can guarantee the military engine will not be anything like the civilian version. Typically military engines will not have any emissions/electronics crap and will run on pretty much anything oil based you dump in the tank. To be sure someone will have to look up the design specs...

·
Registered
57 Posts
As i understand it the thai plant is done, no production, not sure what they did with the tooling. its clear there will be no more commercial production, but i cant imagine they didnt move the tooling somewhere smaller to feed the mil spec? Or maybe they stockpiled and are just going with what theyve stockpiled and then thats it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As i understand it the thai plant is done, no production, not sure what they did with the tooling. its clear there will be no more commercial production, but i cant imagine they didnt move the tooling somewhere smaller to feed the mil spec? Or maybe they stockpiled and are just going with what theyve stockpiled and then thats it.
I figure it’s a stock pile and then it’s over.
I really believe that fuel prices will go crazy soon and the diesel will be in big demand.
Then GM will realize they stopped the diesel production prematurely....
keep in mind
50% better mileage than the Ford Ranger....
Should have been advertised by GM like that......
People would pay the price for the diesel

·
Registered
34 Posts
You don’t sell your diesel plant and keep production of a diesel truck....
It was very easy to see this coming.
If you consider how difficult it was for GM techs to resolve issues and the amount of time it took to get parts..........
It was obvious the diesel was a goner...

To bad because I really like getting 30+ mpg out of a truck....

Another BAD decision brought to you buy GM

Good thing I bought a 2021 Duramax. Most likely the resale value will increase due to lack of supply. No way i would buy a gas burner getting 12-15 mpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
I figure it’s a stock pile and then it’s over.
I really believe that fuel prices will go crazy soon and the diesel will be in big demand.
Then GM will realize they stopped the diesel production prematurely....
keep in mind
50% better mileage than the Ford Ranger....
Should have been advertised by GM like that......
People would pay the price for the diesel

They'll push the 3.0. Conceptually, I have big problems with the aluminum and overcomplicated systems, and have posted so before But they are offering a100K warranty. No, I have not closely read that warranty for weasel words, but 100K is better than 60K, given apples/apples...

·
Registered
34 Posts
They'll push the 3.0. Conceptually, I have big problems with the aluminum and overcomplicated systems, and have posted so before But they are offering a100K warranty. No, I have not closely read that warranty for weasel words, but 100K is better than 60K, given apples/apples...
My 2021 Chevy S10 High Country is the south american model. From the factory It does not have DEF fluid system. The powertrain is the same as the american duramax. The factory ECU map in Brasil produces 200 HP and 375 ft pounds torque. It only has 7,000 KM on it so far from broken in. I am averaging 12km per liter which is 28mpg driving light. Hammering hard I average 10 km per liter which is 23 mpg. As there is no vehicle inspection at all in South America I will be remapping the ecu and deleting all the crap, upgrade exhaust etc. The tuners are doing mild tunes on the duramax 2.8 gettiing 240 HP and 450 fp torque while maintaining same fuel mileage. Once everythng is deleted no more clogged egr etc. Here is the link too the truck in brasil

·
Registered
36 Posts
Plant moved to China... Happy motoring lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good thing I bought a 2021 Duramax. Most likely the resale value will increase due to lack of supply. No way i would buy a gas burner getting 12-15 mpg
I am with you
It was a bummer putting gas in my last 4 Ranger getting no better than 20mpg
I was putting 100.00 a week in the tank.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me too
And it drinks DEF
GM warranty is full of loop holes just look at our trucks.
I read that warranty update from GM and it said it would was good from 2017 on
But I didn’t see anything that suggested it covered diesels like ours.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2021 Chevy S10 High Country is the south american model. From the factory It does not have DEF fluid system. The powertrain is the same as the american duramax. The factory ECU map in Brasil produces 200 HP and 375 ft pounds torque. It only has 7,000 KM on it so far from broken in. I am averaging 12km per liter which is 28mpg driving light. Hammering hard I average 10 km per liter which is 23 mpg. As there is no vehicle inspection at all in South America I will be remapping the ecu and deleting all the crap, upgrade exhaust etc. The tuners are doing mild tunes on the duramax 2.8 gettiing 240 HP and 450 fp torque while maintaining same fuel mileage. Once everythng is deleted no more clogged egr etc. Here is the link too the truck in brasil
Makes me wonder what GM is thinking
The S10 name is almost 40 years old
Why can’t they call it the same name in every country makes no sense to me.
Glad you like it.
have there been any talk of it being discontinued there (The Diesel) ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Makes me wonder what GM is thinking
The S10 name is almost 40 years old
Why can’t they call it the same name in every country makes no sense to me.
Glad you like it.
have there been any talk of it being discontinued there (The Diesel) ?
No way they will discontinue it in south america the S10 Diesel is the second top selling truck only behind the toyota hilux Diesel. Its a cash machine for GM in south america. The issue in the USA is the EPA and bureaucracy. I have a 2010 Hilux with 3.0 D4D diesel. heavy mods full delete, front mount intercoolr. 3 inch exhaust, chipped with 3 modes. In mode 3 it produces 240 HP and 460 FP torque. really fun to drive it really rips and sounds crisp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts