Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I clearly don’t have enough diesel allegiance. While I’m happy with my 2.8D, from an engineering standpoint it sounds like their planned 2.7L turbo gasser I4 could be pretty good diesel substitute (but I’m guilty of not reading up on its track record on Silverados). If the I4 turbo gasser approximately hits the goal, then it’ll be a better vehicle because the average consumer won’t stumbled into forums like this where diesel experts talk about everything GM did wrong with the 2.8D. No offense to anyone here. But the average consumer just wants to get in and go - and have fuel economy along the way. From the community’s comments here, I can only conclude the 2.8D should never have existed in the NA market given regulatory/emissions concerns. Just the nature of the game. Happy to be debated wrong... I don’t know what I don’t know on this stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It all depends on use and needs. The gasser wouldnt support my needs the way i live and use my truck. Someone with different needs and use could easily be well covered by the gas turbo 4.
Not that it wont tow, or carry a camper, but how much it will be maxed out while doing it. I carry my camper a lot, and to high elevations most often, so the mpg would definitely be a major factor, as a gas turbo engine would be working a lot harder a lot more of the time Against wind resistance and weight. My dadtows with his new ranger, and it does quite well, but he only tows several times a year. I carry dozens of times a year. The smaller diesel engined truck is absolutely perfect for my use and needs, and the turbo 4 is not. It would only be good for me when unladen.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
That turbo 4 gasser is wound up tight, longevity is suspect. I would not want to push it's limits for long.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Depending on the outcome of a repair in progress at the dealer right now, i might be forced to bump up to a silverado diesel 1500. They price the same with all the markups going down on midsize trucks and the twins. The only other cclb diesel 4wd in ca is marked up 8k and is in the beige color covered in options i dont want. For the same as the 53+k they want for that, i could have a silverado. Also, there arent any models that are my criteria left to buy. I can find one in another state im sure, but i need the ca emissions. That combined with the longbed make finding them much more difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the plant still making the 2.8?
I bet GM made sure they have enough stock to fulfill the order.

I been thinking , GM said they hardened the 2.8 to make it better for the N American market.
But the hardening has cost some a destroyed engine.
GM changed the injectors and the pump among other things saying it needed to be done to qualify for a Duramax badge
So my question is how much trouble do the Australian owners have with the 2.8.....
Australians love there small diesels so if GM doesn’t produce one any more I suppose that will be the end of Colorado sales there... Or did GM sales end with the closure of the hated Holdon Co.
G`day from Australia ,
I have a model year 2017 Colorado . Have not had any issues with my ute , not even a recall . There have been some service bulletins but that`s it . Same with some of my mates who have later models . Our vehicles do not have DEF . They are extremely reliable and trouble free in our experience . HOLDEN was certainly not hated by Australians . When GM announced the "Retirement " of the Holden name we were told that it was because of their decision to cease building right hand drive vehicles and retire from all RHD markets .Why they would make that decision only they know . Quite a retrograde step , in my opinion . They have since set up a small Dealer network under the banner of GM Special Vehicles . LHD vehicles like Camaro and Silverado are sent to Australia and converted to RHD by a local engineering firm . As an aside , the value of used Holden V8 vehicles has skyrocketed since the closure of the factory .
Cheers,
Jontee

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I clearly don’t have enough diesel allegiance. While I’m happy with my 2.8D, from an engineering standpoint it sounds like their planned 2.7L turbo gasser I4 could be pretty good diesel substitute (but I’m guilty of not reading up on its track record on Silverados). If the I4 turbo gasser approximately hits the goal, then it’ll be a better vehicle because the average consumer won’t stumbled into forums like this where diesel experts talk about everything GM did wrong with the 2.8D. No offense to anyone here. But the average consumer just wants to get in and go - and have fuel economy along the way. From the community’s comments here, I can only conclude the 2.8D should never have existed in the NA market given regulatory/emissions concerns. Just the nature of the game. Happy to be debated wrong... I don’t know what I don’t know on this stuff.
Did you watch this..

And listen close to what he says when you compare this engine to a 5.3
Then you will think .........What were they thinking...

I also think the 2.7 will make a great replacement for the 2.8
This 2.7 has the ability to make a lot of torque at low rpm. And that means it should pull hills without the high rpm of the 3.6..
The really bad things about this engine is the sliding overhead cams that control the valve lift and deactivation..... A really concerning engineering failure spot that will probably cost the owner a major fortune as it ages.
The really dumb idea of a special water valve that sends coolant to specific areas of the engine and runs the engine at very high temperatures to achieve more MPGs
A rotary valve that is motor driven controlled by the ECU
All this technology and possible failure points and the V8 5.3 gets better hyway mileage ..............
Oh and don’t forget the cylinder deactivation that lets it run on 2 cylinders...
A total was of time that will prob ad .0001 mpg
Can you say WTF was GM thinking????
I want reliability first. MPG second...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts