Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Would definitely be interested in knowing how well it works for you and what difference it makes. Have never thought about putting one of these on the truck, but I guess if I towed a lot, it would probably be well worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im surprised a cooler wasnt a dealer option. Just imagine these trucks with a duramax, allison & dana combination. That so6hds like something i'd look into after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so I've been crawling around under the truck and, boy, did they make it hard to get to anything. I've found a spot to put an auxiliary cooler but it would have to be short and wide (about 2" x 24")

But, also, I have noticed that the part of the radiator that is utilized as the factory trans cooler is completely blocked by a plastic shroud. At first, I thought the plastic was diverting air into the trans cooler, but it is not. This plastic area diverts air down and out the bottom of the truck, completely blocking the trans cooler. See attached pic. This is the lower opening, a few inches below the grill, between the fog lights.

image.jpg

I am thinking my first shot might be to remove this plastic piece and see if:
A) it helps with trans cooling
B) hurts mpg (mpg enthusiasts know that blocking the grill helps mpg)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some plastic removed, showing the transmission cooler lines plumbed into the bottom of the rad
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
why put a transmission cooler on the truck then if no air can get to it. That's.....really dumb to say the least haha. Or is it? Seems like it would be.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why put a transmission cooler on the truck then if no air can get to it. That's.....really dumb to say the least haha. Or is it? Seems like it would be.
I'm with you. I'm stumped. It's completely blocked from the front.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is this not an oil/liquid cooler? Looks like it to me, at least, and I'm also assuming that it is similar to what I THINK I have in my 2018. Set me straight if I'm wrong. But if so, then air flow is irrelevant. And also if so, then I don't see how trans cooling with a properly sized liquid/liquid cooler can be significantly improved on with oil/air cooler. Oil/air coolers are WAY less efficient in the first place, because vis of the cooled oil increases and not only insulates the flow from the outside in, AND the cooler, more viscous oil also resists that flow. And, since your radiator (like almost all modern radiators) is so oversized that it's thermostat usually only lets a fraction of the coolant flow into the engine, under all but the most punishing conditions, it has beaucoup spare capacity, for both the engine and the transmission. Put another way, IF the liquid/liquid trans cooler is properly sized (and I'll bet our stock one is), then by the time trans temp gets too high, we need to be unloading the drive train any how, by slowing down, pulling over, etc.

Also, I just hate more mechanical complexity and leak points. I'd ask Chevy, and heed their advice.....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very valid point, and you're right. I had to do some reading as I didn't know all the things you know. So, thank you for that information. You've at least made sense of the blocked off trans cooler.

But, the stock trans cooler on the truck (as with many trucks) still isn't satisfying me. I'm still seeing 220° as normal for towing and 200° as normal for stop and go traffic.

You can't over cool trans fluid (you do want it to warm up on a cold start) so I'm still interested in running a cooler after my radiator, which is the correct way to run a trans cooler anyway.

Since I've already tuned the TCM I don't think my trans is covered under warranty anyway. At least, not supposed to be, according to Gm. So, it's up to me to make it last.

If I was going to talk to gm about the transmission, I would ask them why they didn't put a stronger transmission behind it to begin with (look up the maximum torque rating for the 6L50)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: the panels that block the lower radiator are removable. Even though it has been pointed out that it is an oil/liquid cooler, I feel like more airflow could only help (especially in a warm climate)

I think I am going to pull the panels out when I have time to tear the truck apart

Pic stolen from another forum showing he passenger side panel removed
IMG_7409.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update: the panels that block the lower radiator are removable. Even though it has been pointed out that it is an oil/liquid cooler, I feel like more airflow could only help (especially in a warm climate)

I think I am going to pull the panels out when I have time to tear the truck apart

Pic stolen from another forum showing he passenger side panel removed
View attachment 4929
Keep us posted , I know you tow a lot and will be towing before it gets cool.. You can take them out without pulling the front end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would probably pull just the drivers side since that where the trans. cooler is, and see how that does first.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone pulled the covers on theirs yet? Did you put any mesh or anything to help limit bug ingestion into the cooling fins?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very valid point, and you're right. I had to do some reading as I didn't know all the things you know. So, thank you for that information. You've at least made sense of the blocked off trans cooler.

But, the stock trans cooler on the truck (as with many trucks) still isn't satisfying me. I'm still seeing 220° as normal for towing and 200° as normal for stop and go traffic.

You can't over cool trans fluid (you do want it to warm up on a cold start) so I'm still interested in running a cooler after my radiator, which is the correct way to run a trans cooler anyway.

Since I've already tuned the TCM I don't think my trans is covered under warranty anyway. At least, not supposed to be, according to Gm. So, it's up to me to make it last.

If I was going to talk to gm about the transmission, I would ask them why they didn't put a stronger transmission behind it to begin with (look up the maximum torque rating for the 6L50)
I think you can overcool trans fluid... if the trans fluid temp doesn't get high enough or for long enough, you can have condensation build up and having water in your transmission is a problem. The viscosity will also be different at low operating temperatures. Many auxiliary transmission coolers suggest putting them before any built in transmission cooler in the radiator because it's not only a cooler, but a transmission fluid heater.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts