Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was about 20 degrees this morning and my 2017 really didn’t want to start. It took several attempts to get it started. The glow plug light only stayed on a few seconds.

It has about 81,000 miles and I have not previously had a problem.

Anyone had to replace glow plugs, yet?

·
Registered
245 Posts
If your glow plugs are failing or otherwise not drawing enough current then you should get a DTC. Strange that the glow plug light only stayed on for a second, have you checked what the outside temp reading on the radio? Maybe the ambient temp sensor is on the fritz and is reading warmer than it really is which may cause the glow plugs to not activate.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It was reading correct. I dunno? We will see tomorrow as it will be colder.
How old is your battery? Any chance it could be due to an older battery and low voltage due to the cold?

Reactions: bigoilbob

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is your battery? Any chance it could be due to an older battery and low voltage due to the cold?
Only a year and a half old. It cranked strong even after several start attempts.

It hadn’t been driven in a few days. I drove it about 80 miles today. If the battery was low it shouldn’t be now. Hopefully, the issue is gone tomorrow. I have another diesel, an old Land Rover with a very old school mechanical injection pump system and no emissions. It struggled to start today as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the truck has on occasion done quirky things. I will add this to the list. 18 degrees this morning… it cranked a couple times and fired right up like it was 80 degrees.

The odd coincidental aspect is the quirks seem to only happen when my wife is with me. I really like truck but it is the last GM I will buy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds like you're starting to develop an internal short/dead cell in your battery with it being intermittent like that. :( Might want to get the battery load tested just in case.

Reactions: bigoilbob

·
Registered
245 Posts
When it said low voltage? My truck started cranking a little more slowly when my OEM battery started to go and I think I also got the low voltage warning, but I don't park outside so super cold starts aren't an issue.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am on a road trip and it warmed up a bit today. 40 degrees and it starts right up. 30 degrees and it struggles. 20 degrees and it takes several starting attempts. I’m not sure the glow plugs are doing anything. No more low battery warnings, either. Wondering if the relay is bad as the glow plug light goes out after just a couple seconds.

I have a battery analyzer. I will try that when I get back next week. Fortunately it’s not going to be real cold until I get back home.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, I am on a road trip and it warmed up a bit today. 40 degrees and it starts right up. 30 degrees and it struggles. 20 degrees and it takes several starting attempts. I’m not sure the glow plugs are doing anything. No more low battery warnings, either. Wondering if the relay is bad as the glow plug light goes out after just a couple seconds.

I have a battery analyzer. I will try that when I get back next week. Fortunately it’s not going to be real cold until I get back home.
Did you have anti cloud/gel additive in your fuel for your lowest temps start? I don't use fuel additives routinely, but add the recommended concentration when the temps get this low. This after struggling to get home from the Y, a mile away, in single fahrenheit digits, a few years ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts

The glow plug light coming on for only a couple seconds is normal for those temps. My glow plug light has never stayed on for more than 3 seconds, that was at -28°c. At 0°c my glow plug light comes on for 2 seconds max.
Did you replace the battery yet? If not I would change it. If it were glow plugs or sensor(s), you would get a CEL.
Lastly, if you are not running an additive to prevent fuel gel, and moisture control , you may add that to shopping list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts