Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I did recently start using an additive to improve lubricity but it doesn’t have an anti-gel ingredient. The same manufacturer (Hot Shots Secret) recently came out with one that also has an anti-gel additive. From memory, it is the 7 in 1 formula, as opposed to the 6 in 1 with the extra 1 being the anti-gel additive. I ordered a bottle and it is set to arrive today. It has continued to have hard starts when the temperature gets under 30, much worse as it gets to 20. What is odd is some days it isnt a problem, even when just as cold.

I will see if it makes a difference.

The really odd thing is this is the first winter it has been a problem, even when the temperature was in the single digits.

My diesel Land Rover also has been having hard starts and it wasn’t having issues prior to this winter. I wonder if there is something different with the fuel this winter.

Also interesting, I have stopped buying fuel from places like Walmart. I have been getting it at Texaco assuming it was higher quality. It definitely looks different. The Walmart and other cheaper places it is clear. The Texaco fuel is yellowish. I dunno…

Everybody likes pictures. Here are grumpy on cold mornings diesels.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Snow

· Registered
19 Posts
I did recently start using an additive to improve lubricity but it doesn’t have an anti-gel ingredient. The same manufacturer recently came out with one that also has an anti-gel additive. I ordered a bottle and it is set to arrive today. It has continued to have hard starts when the temperature gets under 30, much worse as it gets to 20. What is odd is some days it isnt a problem, even when just as cold.

I will see if it makes a difference.

The really odd thing is this is the first winter it has been a problem, even when the temperature was in the single digits.

My diesel Land Rover also has been having hard starts and it wasn’t having issues prior to this winter. I wonder if there is something different with the fuel this winter.

Also interesting, I have stopped buying fuel from places like Walmart. I have been getting it at Texaco assuming it was higher quality. It definitely looks different. The Walmart and other cheaper places it is clear. The Texaco fuel is yellowish. I dunno…
It seems as if fuel quality has changed. The only place I know of that sells top tier diesel is Costco and the locations are few and far between. I know the diesel supplies have been low and I wonder if maybe the winter blends haven’t made it out yet to the stations. The additive should help with the slow starts unless it really is your glow plug. I assume you are turning your key to the on position but not turning the starter on until
The glow plug light goes out correct? I notice in the cold my glow plug light will stay on for a few seconds then go out and I crank it and it starts right up

· Registered
402 Posts
It seems as if fuel quality has changed. The only place I know of that sells top tier diesel is Costco and the locations are few and far between. I know the diesel supplies have been low and I wonder if maybe the winter blends haven’t made it out yet to the stations. The additive should help with the slow starts unless it really is your glow plug. I assume you are turning your key to the on position but not turning the starter on until
The glow plug light goes out correct? I notice in the cold my glow plug light will stay on for a few seconds then go out and I crank it and it starts right up
My laziness probably helps me out here. I'm guessing that autostart checks for adequate glow plug temp before cranking. Since we often autostart from a warm dining room we probably luck out. The missus doesn't know a glow plug from a glow worm and I often just turn it over without waiting when sitting in the drivers seat.

· Registered
19 Posts
My laziness probably helps me out here. I'm guessing that autostart checks for adequate glow plug temp before cranking. Since we often autostart from a warm dining room we probably luck out. The missus doesn't know a glow plug from a glow worm and I often just turn it over without waiting when sitting in the drivers seat.
That’s what I was told, when you remote start from Chevy app or from key fob it does the process I referred to for you, sometimes when it’s cold i like to see how long it takes for the glow plugs to warm up for peace of mind

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
“I assume you are turning your key to the on position but not turning the starter on until
The glow plug light goes out correct?”

Yes, unless I forget, I always wait for the light to go out on cold starts. Sometimes, I even give it an extra cycle(s) on very cold days. However, unlike the Land Rover, it doesn’t seem to help.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The preliminary results are in. It seems the fuel was gelling.The last two mornings it has started right up since adding the anti-gel. It is just really puzzling as the previous five winters it hasn’t needed it. The fuel must be different as nothing else I can think of makes sense,

· Registered
402 Posts
The preliminary results are in. It seems the fuel was gelling.The last two mornings it has started right up since adding the anti-gel. It is just really puzzling as the previous five winters it hasn’t needed it. The fuel must be different as nothing else I can think of makes sense,
IMO, the refiners/conditioners sometimes don't keep up with the seasons. Why? An oilfield mystery.

Glad you're up and running. That fuel starvation is anxiety producing, even if you can limp home.

A related question, folks. If you gel/cloud up, can you damage your fuel filters? I changed mine the summer after my event, and didn't see any obvious damage. But I might have missed it.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A related question, folks. If you gel/cloud up, can you damage your fuel filters? I changed mine the summer after my event, and didn't see any obvious damage. But I might have missed it.
When it was having hard starts, it would run fine once started. It would fire up for a second or two and die. This would happen for several starting attempts. But, again, once started it would run normally. I’m guessing, in my case, the gelled fuel was in the lines close to the injectors and or injector rail, maybe not in the tank or filters.

FWIW - this is what I am using. You only need 2 ounces per tank, actually a little less for a 22 gallon tank but I just keep it simple.

Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Font Drink

· Registered
19 Posts
When it was having hard starts, it would run fine once started. It would fire up for a second or two and die. This would happen for several starting attempts. But, again, once started it would run normally. I’m guessing, in my case, the gelled fuel was in the lines close to the injectors and or injector rail, maybe not in the tank or filters.

FWIW - this is what I am using. You only need 2 ounces per tank, actually a little less for a 22 gallon tank but I just keep it simple.

View attachment 9782
That’s the stuff I use as well I use 2 oz of that combined with their everyday day diesel in winter and just the everyday diesel
In the summer for lubricity. There’s a good YouTube video I posted earlier in the thread showing comparisons of different additives

· Registered
402 Posts
Well, the problem is back. I am perplexed. Same tank of fuel.

Happy New Year!
Man, I don't know you, but am genuinely sorry. Having experienced this, I have some idea of your frustration. I wish I had something positive to help you with. I would like your post, but don't want anyone thinking that I'm happy with your situation.

All that catches my eye is the low recommended concentration of your additive. Many here know more about this than me, but I use the Amsoil cold start at 4 oz/20 gallons. Again, lurkers, please don't interpret this as a diss of terryjm's choice of additive. It might be just fine. Just guessing that terryjm would be happier if this was the problem.

· Registered
19 Posts
Well, the problem is back. I am perplexed. Same tank of fuel.

Happy New Year!
Check the directions again it’s says 1oz treats 5 gallons but 4oz is required for 31 gallons, I usually use 3 oz your 2 oz might be a little low for the coldest temps. Also I recommend filling a glass container with some diesel next time you fill up and add the appropriate dosage and store it at the same conditions as your truck and then you can see if there’s gel or not

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I will put a little extra in next fill up. We will have sub 30 temps overnight occasionally for another 2-3 months. 44 degrees today, started right up. Yesterday, 32 degrees and it took 5 attempts. It’s just bizarre. I’m wondering if the glow plugs work at all. I’m out of town for a couple weeks. I might just remove one and test it. I haven’t looked into the job but I have heard they are buried…

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have been out of town for a bit and am now just getting back to this. I have been thinking more about the possibility of a fuel pressure issue, although I don’t know why it’s only an issue below 40 degree.

I changed the fuel filters a couple weeks before it got cold and this problem began. I’m wondering if perhaps an o-ring didn’t seat quite right. Would that cause fuel to back up into the filter housing?

When cold, how long does it take for your fuel pump to shut off if you just turn the key to the on position and wait for it to stop?

It seems mine is taking longer than it should.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have been out of town for a bit and am now just getting back to this. I have been thinking more about the possibility of a fuel pressure issue, although I don’t know why it’s only an issue below 40 degree.

I changed the fuel filters a couple weeks before it got cold and this problem began. I’m wondering if perhaps an o-ring didn’t seat quite right. Would that cause fuel to back up into the filter housing?

When cold, how long does it take for your fuel pump to shut off if you just turn the key to the on position and wait for it to stop?

It seems mine is taking longer than it should.
Fuel pressue will be an issue if the fuel is near its cloud point. 40f should be well above cloud point. Fuel pump runs about 30 seconds key on.

· Registered
2 Posts
As far as the heater seems I was mistaken, there’s a heater for the DEF fluid but not the fuel at least if there is one I couldn’t find any info.
There most certainly is a fuel heater in the fiter head. States as much in the manual, and I don't know of a single OEM that does not have a heater. Not saying it is a great heater with sufficent wattage... but a heater none the less.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
45 degrees today… it started right up without a bit of hesitation. I’m having a hard time thinking there is a fuel pressure issue as the problem is repeatable and scalable with lower temperature. If this was an old school diesel I’d just swap in new glow plugs.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts