Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

How many years are you getting out of your starter battery?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 6+ (Still going on the original)

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this thread as I couldn't find one like it. Basically, curious to see how much life (years/miles) people are getting out of their batteries. Since it's my thread I'll start.

I got 4 years and 2 months (70k miles) since my truck was bought new before I started noticing signs that my battery was starting to approach EOL. Started cranking a little more slowly, voltage with the engine off was ranging between 12.0v and 12.2v, etc. Not wanting to risk a problem this winter I ended up replacing it with an Interstate from Costco.

I don't expect to get more than 5 years or so out of batteries anymore, so to get a little over 4 years (including drawing the battery down pretty low a couple of times while camping) was pretty typical to me.

How about you all, did you get a short (~3 years) or long (~5+ years) life out of your battery? How about replacements?

·
Registered
437 Posts
You know what Drax, I wish I could kill everything that draws on the battery when you open the door or use the remote. When I'm out working and in and out of the truck 25 times a day it makes me wish I could turn off that crap off. Why does the dash have to power up when you open the door? I hate the fact all that crap sucks on the battery all day long.... Rant over lol

Reactions: DeeK

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what Drax, I wish I could kill everything that draws on the battery when you open the door or use the remote. When I'm out working and in and out of the truck 25 times a day it makes me wish I could turn off that crap off. Why does the dash have to power up when you open the door? I hate the fact all that crap sucks on the battery all day long.... Rant over lol
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not in and out that often, but it would be nice if there were a way to reduce the power-down time after the door is opened and prevent things from waking up unless you insert/re-insert the key or turn the ignition on. I'm sure part of the reason for the door waking things up is to make sure various systems are "ready" by the time it expects the vehicle to be started vs waiting to actually start and then have people complain about delays in the radio or backup camera working.

The only comfort I have is that a replacement AGM in the correct size is only like $175. Not peanuts, but spending that every 4-5 years is better than twice that amount like some AGMs are.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
437 Posts
So far so good my battery is from march of 18 purchase the truck in June and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
still running the original, 2016 and i live in Ohio, so plenty of freezing in winter and hot in summer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have 4 years 7 months so far but mine has had the warning signs you mentioned for a long time. Right after I start, voltage is typically low 11s until it starts to climb. Always has seemed to crank a little sluggishly but never had a problem starting so I try to ignore it. Overall, battery has an easy life, garaged and not too hot or cold.
I'd appreciate of you'd provide link to which battery you got from Costco. I'm probably not far behind you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have 4 years 7 months so far but mine has had the warning signs you mentioned for a long time. Right after I start, voltage is typically low 11s until it starts to climb. Always has seemed to crank a little sluggishly but never had a problem starting so I try to ignore it. Overall, battery has an easy life, garaged and not too hot or cold.
I'd appreciate of you'd provide link to which battery you got from Costco. I'm probably not far behind you.
The one I got is this one...

Reactions: DeeK and Duken4evr

·
Registered
138 Posts
The one I got is this one...

I wonder how negatively the battery is affected by the "goofy" charging protocol/algorithm that has been written about in posts on this forum? These AGMs on the diesels appear to be pretty heavy insofar as amp hrs (95), CCA (900), reserve (160), so these batteries should last a lot longer.

Because I don't like driving with no tail lights a' la' DRLs, I drive with headlights on which, according to other threads, defeats the power down effect of the charging system protocol.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wonder how negatively the battery is affected by the "goofy" charging protocol/algorithm that has been written about in posts on this forum? These AGMs on the diesels appear to be pretty heavy insofar as amp hrs (95), CCA (900), reserve (160), so these batteries should last a lot longer.

Because I don't like driving with no tail lights a' la' DRLs, I drive with headlights on which, according to other threads, defeats the power down effect of the charging system protocol.
If you manually turn the headlights on it will hold at 13.8V all the time. On a decelerate it will still go up to 14.XX and will go right back to 13.8 once you're on the move again.

I have noticed that If I start the truck and immediately turn the headlights on the voltage will go up right away. If I wait a minute or more and then turn the headlights on it will take up to 2 minutes before it gets all the way up to 13.8. It starts to move up a little at a time. I always turn the lights on for this reason.

·
Registered
202 Posts
From what I have casually observed, if the outside air temperature is below 45F or so, the system will fully charge the battery without the lights having to be on.

57K miles, 5 year old OEM battery, still going well. It gets pampered with lights on when it is not cold outside, and plugged into a spare small Optimate powersports 1 amp smart charger 24/7 while parked in the garage via a small SAE pigtail. My motorcycle's AGM batteries generally last 7 years when given the Optimate "spa treatment". My bike has a Shorai lithium battery in it now, so I have the spare Optimate smart charger to use for my truck :)

Curious to see what I can get out of the OEM battery. It did lead a hard early life it's 1st 2.5 years, before I learned about the charging system's shortcomings. It is going strong, 6 years of service is looking quite doable. Will go the Interstate/Costco route once it shows signs of weakness.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I have casually observed, if the outside air temperature is below 45F or so, the system will fully charge the battery without the lights having to be on.

57K miles, 5 year old OEM battery, still going well. It gets pampered with lights on when it is not cold outside, and plugged into a small Optimate powersports 1 amp smart charger 24/7 while parked in the garage via a small SAE pigtail. My motorcycle batteries generally last 7 years when given the Optimate "spa treatment" :)
Yup, same experience. Temps haven't been above the 30s so my running voltage has been 14.5-14.9v. In "normal" temps it does the typical variation based on load.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am pleased to be at 54,000 miles and 5 years and (knock on wood) no problems yet. I will say AGM batteries typically have a longer lifespan because of no tabs to break off so at least gm did something right. I will definitely get another AGM of a reputable brand when the time comes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Starting this thread as I couldn't find one like it. Basically, curious to see how much life (years/miles) people are getting out of their batteries. Since it's my thread I'll start.

I got 4 years and 2 months (70k miles) since my truck was bought new before I started noticing signs that my battery was starting to approach EOL. Started cranking a little more slowly, voltage with the engine off was ranging between 12.0v and 12.2v, etc. Not wanting to risk a problem this winter I ended up replacing it with an Interstate from Costco.

I don't expect to get more than 5 years or so out of batteries anymore, so to get a little over 4 years (including drawing the battery down pretty low a couple of times while camping) was pretty typical to me.

How about you all, did you get a short (~3 years) or long (~5+ years) life out of your battery? How about replacements?
Still running on original 2016 battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I think it's great that everyone has gotten a good battery life. At just over 3 years old I went out one day and it wouldn't crank. Battery had 10.2 volts in it. I jumped it and the system was charging at 14.5 volts with the engine at 1,000 RPM. I took my jumper battery for safety, and off I went. Drove about 15 miles, got out, did my business that took about 2 hours. Got back in and there it was at 10.3 volts and no crank. Jumped it, and my next stop was NAPA for their AGM battery. Cranks great and no problems. FYI, NAPA has good batteries, and better then COSTCO, but they do cost more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure what criteria is being used to determine which brand of battery is better. Napa batteries are made by East Penn and have an 18 month free replacement warranty. Interstate at Costco are made by Exide and have a 3 year free replacement warranty.

There are only a handful of battery manufacturers, the name on the label means almost nothing these days. Whichever has the best warranty for the least amount of money is generally the best battery.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Diehard Platinum H8 AGM also has a 3 year full replacement warranty. Until 2019, Johnson Controls (JCI) manufactured Diehards, but in 2019 they spun off their battery division to an investment company. Clarios is now the name under which Diehard and some other brands worldwide operate.

From what I can glean from their filings with the SEC, Clarios is a "roll-up" combining the battery manufacturing of a number of companies world-wide.

JCI decided that their industrial and environmental controls business, which is their foundation, was where they wanted to focus on the future.

Good luck to a quality company, including THEIR ownership of a high quality battery business. I hope Clarios continues that as they now own and operate the former JCI facilities in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone can go to one of the battery manufacturers and get whatever branding you want on them. Keep in mind however that these manufacturers such as Exide, East Penn, etc. will manufacture whatever you want them to on he quality and price point scale. If you're a big buyer like NAPA or Interstate that are purchasing a full line of part numbers for a national market, you'll get the best price from them for the quality you want.

At the end of the day, you want it to start your vehicle, take a charge, and hold a charge. The fact that mine would only hold 10 volts told me that one of the cells in it died; and that can happen to any battery.

FYI, The NAPA Auto Parts Group's policy is that every part they offer is of OEM quality or better. I have stuck with them and have had very few if any problems with their parts. I can't say the same for things that have come from other parts chains.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts