Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

How many years are you getting out of your starter battery?

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 3 20.0%

Votes: 2 13.3%

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 6+ (Still going on the original)

Votes: 4 26.7%
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
These are all largely anecdotal examples of quality. The Enersys Odyssey batteries are arguably supposed to be the best batteries on the market, and for the price they should be. Yet I had one fail after less than 2 years. The warranty on that battery was only 2 years, too (It was a powersport battery and was connected to a Battery Tender whenever it was stored).

That's why I stick to the cheapest battery with the longest warranty being the best battery. As luck would have it, that actually hasn't resulted in any problems or shorter-than-expected battery life. Interstate has had one of the best reputations in the industry for a long time, but that's not why I bought the Interstate for my truck. It was cheaper than the auto parts store house brand by about $20. Sold!

The punchline for me is that for many products I'm brand agnostic. Pretty much the only exception to that is when it comes to oil and fuel filters, I stick with OEM as I've had problems with non-OEM filters in the past. So when someone says "X is better than Y" I tend to question it and often times the claim can't really be qualified by the person that made it other than "I haven't had any problems with it." That doesn't really prove anything, but I also get sticking with what has worked. So not questioning your decision, was just wondering what criteria you were using.

Historically, I'd bought Walmart's in-house branded batteries because they came with ridiculous warranties and a price that couldn't be beat. Basically, on average, I could expect the battery to start to fail within the warranty period and get a free replacement. The batteries didn't last shorter than others, they tended to last 4-5 years which was typical and the warranty was 6 or 7 years.

Well, those days are gone. 3-4 years are the longest battery warranties I can find and an Odyssey H8 for $311 has a 4 year warranty vs $177 for the Interstate I bought with a 3 year warranty. I highly doubt the Odyssey will actually last nearly twice as long as the Interstate so paying nearly twice as much doesn't make sense to me.

· Registered
42 Posts
These are all largely anecdotal examples of quality. The Enersys Odyssey batteries are arguably supposed to be the best batteries on the market, and for the price they should be. Yet I had one fail after less than 2 years. The warranty on that battery was only 2 years, too (It was a powersport battery and was connected to a Battery Tender whenever it was stored).

That's why I stick to the cheapest battery with the longest warranty being the best battery. As luck would have it, that actually hasn't resulted in any problems or shorter-than-expected battery life. Interstate has had one of the best reputations in the industry for a long time, but that's not why I bought the Interstate for my truck. It was cheaper than the auto parts store house brand by about $20. Sold!

The punchline for me is that for many products I'm brand agnostic. Pretty much the only exception to that is when it comes to oil and fuel filters, I stick with OEM as I've had problems with non-OEM filters in the past. So when someone says "X is better than Y" I tend to question it and often times the claim can't really be qualified by the person that made it other than "I haven't had any problems with it." That doesn't really prove anything, but I also get sticking with what has worked. So not questioning your decision, was just wondering what criteria you were using.

Historically, I'd bought Walmart's in-house branded batteries because they came with ridiculous warranties and a price that couldn't be beat. Basically, on average, I could expect the battery to start to fail within the warranty period and get a free replacement. The batteries didn't last shorter than others, they tended to last 4-5 years which was typical and the warranty was 6 or 7 years.

Well, those days are gone. 3-4 years are the longest battery warranties I can find and an Odyssey H8 for $311 has a 4 year warranty vs $177 for the Interstate I bought with a 3 year warranty. I highly doubt the Odyssey will actually last nearly twice as long as the Interstate so paying nearly twice as much doesn't make sense to me.
Well I was caught with a battery problem I didn't expect; it worked fine the day before. So I didn't really do a lot of research. As I said above, NAPA offers a fair price on OEM or better on the quality side of things. I would say as far as batteries, over the years I've purchased about 200 of them for my own cars, race cars (unless we had a battery sponsor) and customers and friends cars. I've had one bad NAPA battery.

On some things I pick brands, but a lot of those choices are from real life experiences, not from what others have said. I don't want to turn this into an oil discussion, but I used to be anti synthetic oils... until I had an insane situation with Mobil 1 and winning a NASCAR Cup race a number of years ago. Due to the oil cooler being covered the oil temp elevated to something greater than 360F. No real damage to bearings or cylinder walls. That would have never happened with a mineral based oil.

· Registered
17 Posts
Starting this thread as I couldn't find one like it. Basically, curious to see how much life (years/miles) people are getting out of their batteries. Since it's my thread I'll start.

I got 4 years and 2 months (70k miles) since my truck was bought new before I started noticing signs that my battery was starting to approach EOL. Started cranking a little more slowly, voltage with the engine off was ranging between 12.0v and 12.2v, etc. Not wanting to risk a problem this winter I ended up replacing it with an Interstate from Costco.

I don't expect to get more than 5 years or so out of batteries anymore, so to get a little over 4 years (including drawing the battery down pretty low a couple of times while camping) was pretty typical to me.

How about you all, did you get a short (~3 years) or long (~5+ years) life out of your battery? How about replacements?
Hi my friends I have a 2016 2.8 and I have replace the battery twice the 1st time was around 25k and second time around 98k dont know what kill it or probably the battery are not as they used to be . Oh one more thing I also replace my alternator clutch at around 70k i though my alternator was burned but it turn to be just the clutch if u guys come across a problem like this start with the alternator clutch I didn't know about that until u took it to the alternator guy to fix he told me right away it was the clutch. Put a new one in an worked just as new .

· Registered
86 Posts
You know what Drax, I wish I could kill everything that draws on the battery when you open the door or use the remote. When I'm out working and in and out of the truck 25 times a day it makes me wish I could turn off that crap off. Why does the dash have to power up when you open the door? I hate the fact all that crap sucks on the battery all day long.... Rant over lol
Ahhh, C'mon man your truck is being sociable. It's like family. 🤣

· Registered
86 Posts
Well nothing on the poll that reflects my 2019. Still the original. So I haven't replaced it being 3 years almost 4 if you consider date of production February 2019 and I drove it away new in August of 2019. So based on the poll it is still the original and less than 6 years old.

· Registered
695 Posts
Well nothing on the poll that reflects my 2019. Still the original. So I haven't replaced it being 3 years almost 4 if you consider date of production February 2019 and I drove it away new in August of 2019. So based on the poll it is still the original and less than 6 years old.
Well to go with that, mine was march of 18. I purchased it in June and it's still the original battery.

· Registered
16 Posts
My 2016 is still on its original battery. I recently had Batteries+Bulbs put the second replacement in my wife's 2015 VW. I had them test mine as well since weather was turning colder. They told me the battery still tested near 1000A and suggested I keep running it. I didn't watch the knobs and gauge on the tester, only felt it blowing warm air on par with a hair dryer.

I'll accept that result.

I keep a battery tender plugged in to the cig lighter socket when its in the garage. I did the same with my M3 and its original went 9 years.
I'm not sure what's up with Wifeys battery exterminator but hey - VW.

· Registered
23 Posts
Still original from March of 2017, 66,000 miles. Starting to see signs of it getting ready to die.
Was wondering if anybody has purchased/used portable jumpstarter, not trying to hijack thread. But, since this is about battery thought it would be ok.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts