Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a bed extender for the crew cab with the short bed. GM sells one for around $250 or AMP for around $208 with a $50 rebate on amazon, but it requires drilling. Any thoughts or experience with either one?

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll let you know how it goes, just ordered it on Amazon and they have a deal for a $50 rebate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought the AMP HD Max from RealTruck w/ the $50 rebate. Easy install w/ supplied templates for drilling. With the factory drop in bedliner installed the bracket holes were close to the trailing edge of the liner leaving a gap under the flange. I cut down and added 1/8" thick spacers w/ adhesive back that were supplied w/ the hard tonneau install kit.

Gonna wrap the top bar w/ leftover roll bar padding to protect the finish and reduce sliding. Pipe insulation oughta work also.

Shoulda had a bed x-tender on the Silverado's 6.5' bed. Almost a necessity on the Canyon CCSB IMO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mounting brackets install permanent to rear bed post. Tilt the cage up 45° as shown, pull out and it will remove in one piece. There are optional brackets that can release the cage in any position, I didn't feel the need for that tho. Once the cage is removed the brackets are low profile and shouldn't interfere.

Glad I bought it. For what I need anymore I'd rather haul 8' 2X4s or lumber laying on top of the cage than on the floor of the bed and lashing it down.

YMMV

·
Registered
213 Posts
thanks. I think I might pick one up, my MTN bike won't fit with the tail gate up. So between some of the stuff I was looking at that will make that fit, and the extra usefulness of the extender it makes a lot of sense. I just wanted to make sure it was easy to take in and out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So last night at like 1am I was suddenly hit with the thought that the bed extender isn't going to work with my hard rolling tonneau cover rails. Any of you with the extender also have a tonneau cover, and how is the clearance? The hard rolling tonneau in particular has an extra piece at the end that causes the track to close around the cleats on the cover so I have a little extra compared to just the standard rails. I actually tried to cancel my order, but it was too late.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's at least 3" clearance at the rear of the bed between the top of extender cage and the hard tonneau cover rails. I have a BakFlip MX4 and the top of the panel sits almost flush w/ the top of the bed rails. The two plastic vertical uprights at the center of the cage sit at least 2" below the bottom of tonneau panel when the cage is rotated forward.

You should be fine. I have pics but Photobucket isn't plating nice right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a follow up, I received mine and installed it. It has come in handy for hauling and yes it is easily removable.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There's at least 3" clearance at the rear of the bed between the top of extender cage and the hard tonneau cover rails. I have a BakFlip MX4 and the top of the panel sits almost flush w/ the top of the bed rails. The two plastic vertical uprights at the center of the cage sit at least 2" below the bottom of tonneau panel when the cage is rotated forward.

You should be fine. I have pics but Photobucket isn't plating nice right now.
what I'm concerned about is being able to flip the extender back into the bed when not in use. How close does the extender come to the tonneau cover rails when you are flipping the extender back and forth? My rails stick out probably 1.5 - 2" further than what yours would because of the wings that activate the track. What surface of the bed sides does the extender actually mount to?

·
Registered
27 Posts
To what I referenced earlier about the mounting bracket having a gap at the trailing edge of the factory bedliner. I added shims under the bracket eliminating the gap. Shims were from the tonneau kit and self adhesive. I suspect the dealer install and/ or cold weather might have had an effect on the gap. The AMP kit is all quality hardware and an easy install BTW.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok so you wound up shimming the main bracket a bit. It looks like it will be close, but I've also discovered that you can shim the brackets quite a bit and make the cage smaller / narrower so that it clears so with all that I think I will be fine. It is set to be delivered today so I'll post up the results later. Thanks for the pictures and the information.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok so update. I finally got a chance to install the bed extender and I can say that it does not come into contact with the tabs on the Bak Revolver x2. Install went pretty well, fitting the bars was a pain in the ass, and I'm pretty sure two of the mounting bolt are trapped in the bars, but it's in. For reference I had to be 2 1/2" in from the 7" tape lines to get it to fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts