Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the edge of tuning and have been wavering between GDE which seems to have done more than anybody and has a self-described engineering approach and American Diesel Power (ADP) because they provide multiple tunes. I'm interested in engine reliability and longevity first, performance second. I tow about half the time and worry that the GDE tune might be too general to work well for that even though they say it is great for everything.

I pulled this quote from a GDE post on the ColoradoFans site and am curious what people here think about this.

GDE does a lot of testing in different conditions and validation to ensure a good tune in all conditions and altitudes. EFI Live does not have mapping for the pilot injection quantity or timing. It took us some time to decipher the software to adjust the pilots. GDE is the only company modifying pilot injection, which is very important to do if the main timing is changed and the egr is off. It helps control peak cylinder pressure at full load and is useful for maximizing fuel economy in cruising. GDE also removed the speed limiter, added all the missing altitude correction factors and pedal filtering maps that the EFI Live mapping does not include. We also eliminate egr and def via software without needing to unplug sensors.

So, does this mean GDE is better than ADP regardless of number of tunes you get? Is one size fits all ok if you're more interested in longevity/reliability than hot performance? I am an engineer mostly but still way down on the learning curve for this stuff and am hopeful some of the more knowledgeable folks will step up with some good technical evaluation of the GDE vs ADP tunes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
to present both sides, this is the meat of the reply i got back from ADP:

After well over 1million customer miles we've yet to have any catastrophic failures caused by tuning. Obviously anything is possible when tuning or even staying stock. Failures happen with anything mechanical. We offer single tunes for those that ask or DSP4 style. Tow, Stock Optimized, Street, Street Hot (Race). We do also offer two Max Effort tunes at 445wtq and 485wtq respectively. I try not to get into it with GDE as it always ends up with a member measuring contest and nobody benefits from that. Not us, not GDE and not the customer. With an off-road tune you can unplug the egr and air throttle and leave it that way. Alternatively some folks do remove them entirely.

i appreciate his response but i would have preferred he addressed the points GDE made about why their tune was superior (i sent the same quote to ADP that i posted in my OP above). so, that leaves it unresolved for me. anybody with anything to offer, please feel free to weigh in!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a GDE trans and engine tune. I have been extremely happy with the tune as well as their customer service.
Tip: have them also eliminate the SCR alarms as the DEF system is disabled and you want to prevent the possibility of unnecessary codes. I have about 40,000 miles on my truck after tune.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much alberta, that was the direction I was headed and you helped with a little nudge. From what I can tell it seems like GDE uses a more systematic and technical approach than the others. I already bought an aFe downpipe-back system and I plan to put on the GDE Hot tune first and then probably go full delete and install the exhaust system shortly thereafter unless I am supre happy with just the tune - in which case I'll have a nice delete exhaust systrem to sell! Plan to do this as soon as truck is out of 36K mile warranty, which is soon.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a GDE trans and engine tune. I have been extremely happy with the tune as well as their customer service.
Tip: have them also eliminate the SCR alarms as the DEF system is disabled and you want to prevent the possibility of unnecessary codes. I have about 40,000 miles on my truck after tune.
i meant to ask, what was the mileage when you did the tune? it sounds like you did the tune/delete right away?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i meant to ask, what was the mileage when you did the tune? it sounds like you did the tune/delete right away?
I am Icon lifted with 265/70/17 tires, ARB front and Fab Fours rear bumpers so not a direct fuel comparison. I can get 8 L/100 kms mileage (29 mpg US), but normally around 9 L/100 kms (26 mpg US). I only have tune. Exhaust system is intact as I don’t like smoky exhaust. Have had 0 issues with DPF so far.
If you do a GDE tune, have them tune out SCR sensor faults as well. I have an intermittent fault that comes up which I believe is a sensor issue but can’t take to dealer and they are no longer in use anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts