Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have followed this discussion for several years and I'd like to proceed with getting a tune now that my 2017 is near the end of warranty.
I am leaning toward the GDE but there were several posts that made me question whether this tune was more intended for performance and might negatively affect the engine, cutting it's longevity and long-term reliability.
Any thoughts about which tune is best for making our engines last as long as possible? I tow a lot and would appreciate performance and fuel efficiency increases but not at the expense of longevity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not too sure about GDE. I spoke with Duramax tunners yesterday about the 50 state in tact tune they now offer, and how they have been able to get through all the epa testing ( years of playing the game and testing). Looks like GDE is a good ture just won't work for my use case living in California. I did pull the trigger on the DMT 5 pack after a very reassuring phone call.

Probably doesn't answer all your questions but tuning is so taboo and really a personal decision. Just have to decide are you going to remove all emissions goodies or keep it intact.

Good luck my friend!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have followed this discussion for several years and I'd like to proceed with getting a tune now that my 2017 is near the end of warranty.
I am leaning toward the GDE but there were several posts that made me question whether this tune was more intended for performance and might negatively affect the engine, cutting it's longevity and long-term reliability.
Any thoughts about which tune is best for making our engines last as long as possible? I tow a lot and would appreciate performance and fuel efficiency increases but not at the expense of longevity.

I have been using the GDE tune for about 16K miles. It was a toss up between GDE and Duramax tuner. I think both are solid companies and either one is fine. I tow a 6K trailer for most of that 16K and all I can say is from the time you twist the key after the tune is installed you will be impressed. The responsiveness of the throttle and the much better trans shifting is amazingly different from stock. The motor is quieter and smoother and it bumped my mpg's about 2.5 per gallon. Mine is an emissions intact tune and I disliked GM's tune so much. I blew in my tune in with only 1K miles on the clock. It was a step out because I knew it was going to kill the warranty but It was the best thing I could have done.

One thing that was cool is I added a 36gal Titan fuel tank and GDE (for free) rewrote my tune to adjust for the extra fuel onboard. This allows my DIC mileage to reflect distance to empty properly and so on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SFLTruck. The Duramax is appealing because of the tune choice but it seems that GDE spent more time developing and testing theirs in a wide range of conditions. Not sure iff this is true but it is claimed. The GDE is pricier but hopefully worth it. Any trouble following GDE directions to get yours flashed and the tune installed? I read throgh their instructions and they seemed fairly straighforward but I have notced that things seem to look easier until I am in the middle of them and then I am excellent at discovering problems! I am leaving in a little over a week on a long trip pulling a trailer and I want to make sure I get it right.

·
Registered
380 Posts
First my feelings coincide with yours on development, more so after a few phone calls with them. The install was straight forward and after blowing a few different tunes in I managed to lock my ECU up. Of course I'm freaking out a bit but when I called them they were like naaaa it's no big thing. They walked me right through how to resolve my self inflicted issue (had I actually followed the instructions it wouldn't have happened in the fist place). This was many tunes from the initial tune and I got lazy totally my fault for not reading and thinking I know what I'm doing....lmao... They have provided me updates for no additional costs at least 7 times.

I'm not kidding when i said the difference is amazing. Engine smoothness and the first shift before the end of my driveway and I had a big smile going....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really appreciate your insights and experience. What do you mean that you locked up the ECU blowing tunes in there? I thought this was a one and done, no tune choice deal? I was all set to buy this thing, was going through checkout and they come up with $33 for ground UPS. What?
I just pulled the trigger, including the crazy shipping. Pretty excited. Thanks for your thoughts on all this.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Really appreciate your insights and experience. What do you mean that you locked up the ECU blowing tunes in there? I thought this was a one and done, no tune choice deal? I was all set to buy this thing, was going through checkout and they come up with $33 for ground UPS. What?
I just pulled the trigger, including the crazy shipping. Pretty excited. Thanks for your thoughts on all this.
Just follow the directions...lol...

By multiple tunes I mean over the years they have sent out new tune files (only one installed at any given moment) following some enhancements. Example tip start...where you just turn the key and let go and the starter will stay engaged until the engine starts. I had asked if they could lower the cruse control for school zones and they did mine is at 15mph now.

Reactions: DeeK

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, I'll share. So, is that tip start thing still part of the tune? I have been impressed with how fast the 2.8 starts, especially compared to my tacoma which seemed to take a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been running DuramaxTuner engine and trans tunes for almost 3 years now and nearly 25k miles and couldn't be happier with my decision. Over the years I've gotten a variety of updates and adjustments at no cost for regearing, GM emissions updates, and just general revisions to the tunes. They're always super responsive via email and always reachable by phone. I use the #3 street tune for driving around town and switch to the #2 tow tune when off-road.

Super happy with it and would definitely recommend doing business with them and their product.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh yeah, I'll share. So, is that tip start thing still part of the tune? I have been impressed with how fast the 2.8 starts, especially compared to my tacoma which seemed to take a while.
I would imagine so, once developed into the tune. I doubt they would remove it unless forced by some GOV agency that's "Here to Help"!

·
Registered
192 Posts
45K miles on the pre EPA fiasco GDE engine and transmission tunes. I also paid $50 for their "compliant" tune so I could flash that in prior to emissions testing. It won't pass where I live with the older tune, as the shop will plug into the OBD port to check emissions monitors readiness. I hate the stock settings so much that I was willing to pay the $50 for the update, also wanted to be on record as purchasing it in case the EPA comes calling. Pretty cool GDE only charged $50 for the compliant update to their existing customers.

Given that I have run both pre and post EPA settings, I can say that people who get the latest "compliant" tune from GDE are not missing out performance wise - the way the truck sounds and runs is indistinguishable between the pre EPA "intact" and post EPA "compliant" settings. The immediate throttle response, the smooth and sweet way it runs, and the additional power, they all remain.

The big difference is DEF consumption. The original "intact" settings had DEF turned off. The final settings use a small amount of DEF at the owner's request, so we don't have to drain the DEF tank every few years as it will throw a code when the DEF goes bad. The "compliant" tune apparently uses minimal EGR and as a result, more DEF than stock. This is a fair tradeoff I think, as I hate sooty EGR going into my engine's intake with an irrational passion. GM addressed this with their 3.0 diesel by the way, it filters a good potion of the EGR through the DPF before injecting it, and I think that is awesome.

I ran the "compliant" settings for about a month, my engine's oil did not turn black like it does with the stock settings and their heavy EGR use. With the older EGR off settings, one would never know the oil that comes out of my 2.8's crankcase is from a diesel, it is dark brown, not black, at oil change time.

I have no experience with other tunes, but am very pleased with what GDE has offered, both pre and post EPA. I think GDE is a great option for those who can't or don't want to deal with deleting, just flash it and go, enjoy better performance, little EGR oil pollution, and still pass emissions. Do realize of course that no matter what tune is used, the power train warranty is toast...

Reactions: SFLTruck and DeeK

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a sense for how much def usage increases? I just gde tuned yesterday, heading out on long trip pulling 4500# trailer and wondering if I should throw in spare def jug?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you have a sense for how much def usage increases? I just gde tuned yesterday, heading out on long trip pulling 4500# trailer and wondering if I should throw in spare def jug?
DEF is easy enough to pick up along the way, but I like to get mine at Walmart as it is the cheapest jug DEF I can find at around $7.00 for a 2.5 gallon jug, and DEF is DEF. I would pick up a couple jugs. It is gonna go through it pretty good while towing.

Can't say what the DEF miles per gallon is as I only ran the "compliant" settings for a month, but I would hazard to guess that unloaded and stock it, went around 900 MPG on DEF and that the compliant tune uses it at about twice that rate. Towing it is going to use more of course.

Another option is filling up at the truck stop DEF pumps. A lot of those need a magnet dealio in the DEF fill tube which our trucks do not have. I ran into that the one time I tried using a truck stop DEF pump, which did not work for me. Learned later that apparently this is the workaround.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess my untuned colo has been sipping. I pulled a 2500# trailer through the western mountains and hit the 30% warning at exactly 4000 miles. Maybe that's not good though if it means more soot in the dpf.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I guess my untuned colo has been sipping. I pulled a 2500# trailer through the western mountains and hit the 30% warning at exactly 4000 miles. Maybe that's not good though if it means more soot in the dpf.
Ya, those days are over :LOL: Oh well. You are going to love how it runs, so worth some extra DEF use.

I think the magnet dealio would be a good investment. Truck stop pump DEF is typically about half the cost of boxed DEF. It is also easier to get the right amount needed to fill, without extra leftover in the box, or all that silly plastic waste.

Reactions: DeeK

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. Won't have time to get for this trip but good to know. Are you able to fuel up at those pumps? I've pulled into a couple and found the nozzle too big for my fuel opening.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cool. Won't have time to get for this trip but good to know. Are you able to fuel up at those pumps? I've pulled into a couple and found the nozzle too big for my fuel opening.
Ya, I fueled up at the regular island for cars, then pulled through the big truck lane for DEF. Felt kinda self conscious about it as there were semis everywhere and it was busy at the time, then the darn DEF pump wouldn't work because I did not have the magnet. Felt silly at the time, did not know what was up with the DEF pump, then way overpaid inside the store for a dusty box of Peak DEF. Ugh. This was all awhile ago. At least now we know better 😆

1 - 20 of 26 Posts