Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a frequently discussed topic but I can't help to ask something similar again. I currently am looking to move out of my 2005 xterra, it's pushing 200k miles and is starting to show its age. The 2.8 duramax zr2 caught my eye because it's almost perfect for what I need. My question is, looking at the forum and reading horror stories of engine, Trans, and diff failures before 100k miles is very concerning, but are there any particular years I should look for or avoid? Did these issues ever get revised? I'm mostly looking at 2018/2019 with 85k ish miles. Again making a $30k decision and selling a reliable vehicle is not an easy move, I really appreciate your input on my next vehicle.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know this is a frequently discussed topic but I can't help to ask something similar again. I currently am looking to move out of my 2005 xterra, it's pushing 200k miles and is starting to show its age. The 2.8 duramax zr2 caught my eye because it's almost perfect for what I need. My question is, looking at the forum and reading horror stories of engine, Trans, and diff failures before 100k miles is very concerning, but are there any particular years I should look for or avoid? Did these issues ever get revised? I'm mostly looking at 2018/2019 with 85k ish miles. Again making a $30k decision and selling a reliable vehicle is not an easy move, I really appreciate your input on my next vehicle.
Looks like they updated the injectors and head in 2019
I wouldn’t touch anything older…..

·
Registered
193 Posts
FWIW, I have a 2017 and have been worried about the whole injector issue after reading posts here. I called a couple highly regarded diesel mechanics in Albuquerque who said they had not experienced Colorados with this problem. They also checked national service bulletins and other resources they said should show if it was a major issue and did not find anything about it.

That makes me wonder if we are getting a biased perspective, i.e. the owners that have this problem are very vocal about it (as they should be) but they represent a very small percentage of owners. I don't know, but I sure would like to know what percentage of owners are affected by bad injectors, failed wrist pins, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, I have a 2017 and have been worried about the whole injector issue after reading posts here. I called a couple highly regarded diesel mechanics in Albuquerque who said they had not experienced Colorados with this problem. They also checked national service bulletins and other resources they said should show if it was a major issue and did not find anything about it.

That makes me wonder if we are getting a biased perspective, i.e. the owners that have this problem are very vocal about it (as they should be) but they represent a very small percentage of owners. I don't know, but I sure would like to know what percentage of owners are affected by bad injectors, failed wrist pins, etc.
Absolutely, the one thing that I've noticed is that although I'm reading about these issues, like you said there are no recalls out, and I haven't seen a teardown video or thread of a failed motor.

·
Registered
442 Posts

I am also concerned about this.
But you will not see any recalls from GM. Or bulletin’s to dealers. They have discontinued the 2.8 and hope all issue disappear with it.
Also GM changed the head so they could use Injectors that can handle higher fuel rail pressure In 2019 or 2020.
They didn’t do it to waste money, they did it because there were failures. To many failures. One simple injecto failure can destroy the engine. Not a cheap fix.
They were running to close to the max pressure that the injectors could handle. That’s why the failures were or are relatively low.
The problem with most products today including vehicles is they run to close to the max tolerances of the parts that make up said product. The manufacturer saves a bunch of money.
Unless they get bit buy a part that fails to often….
Dishwashers, dryer’s, washing machines, VEHICLES……All built as cheaply as possible.
Problem with GM is this happens much to often. Ford is also playing this game.
Profit vs warranty work

·
Registered
193 Posts
So, does this mean that a pre-2019 owner can't even replace our injectors because our old head won't accept the new ones? That was why I contacted the mechanics, wondering if I could do anything to my 2017 engine to avoid the potential of it blowing up on a trip in the middle of nowhere with trailer and family in tow? I love that truck and would consider laying out some $$ worth it if there were a viable solution to a problem that has not yet surfaced in my truck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BTW, the lists that the guys checked were not bulletins to dealers. It sounded like it was more of a nationwide general mechanics' bulletin intended to help each other with "common" or known problems. I agree that GM won't do the right thing even if they know there is a common problem, they'll just bet that most failures will occur after the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So, does this mean that a pre-2019 owner can't even replace our injectors because our old head won't accept the new ones? That was why I contacted the mechanics, wondering if I could do anything to my 2017 engine to avoid the potential of it blowing up on a trip in the middle of nowhere with trailer and family in tow? I love that truck and would consider laying out some $$ worth it if there were a viable solution to a problem that has not yet surfaced in my truck.
I feel the same way. I pulled my toy hauler very far from home and back. But since hearing about these issues I am also nervous about being out there and have an issue.
This diesel has been amazing on fuel and so far the best truck I have owned.
But stories of trucks sitting at dealerships for weeks or months waiting for parts has me nervous to be to far from home with it.
So I checked out installing the new injectors and they are designed differently and do not fit in the original head design.
There are pictures of the new head and older head and injectors on this forum.
I been burnt by GM in the past and this is my first GM in 35 years or so.
There are some 2.8s out there with high milage and minimal issues. It may be possible that we will not see this issue. HOW MANY 2.8s are on this forum and how many have blown up.
The other thing that really bothers me is this x miles before max speed is…. It should not be allowed to have a vehicle strand you in the middle of nowhere because a sensor goes bad. There has to be a better way.

·
Registered
442 Posts
For me, if it blows a hole in a piston and I am close to home, say on my way to or from work.
Disappointing but not the end of the world. I will fix it myself. Pulled, rebuilt many engines over the years. Not that long ago replaced the engine in my sons Ranger.

I bought the truck to pull my toy hauler. Spooky part is what do you do if you have an issue 1000 miles from home.
Rent a truck and pull the trailer home and
Leave it at a dealership some place for a month or so and pay 10,000 for a new motor install
Or
Rent a truck and pull the trailer home then fly back to the truck and rent a truck and trailer and bring the truck home ?
Sounds expensive and nerve racking.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yup, exactly where my thoughts go. So I guess question becomes, is it worth it to preemptively install new head and injectors? How much more would it cost to replace entire engine, since there are also wrist pin failures people have reported. Or, just figure it's a small failure rate and mine will be one of the lucky ones. What a decision, almost certain to be wrong whichever way I go.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yup, exactly where my thoughts go. So I guess question becomes, is it worth it to preemptively install new head and injectors? How much more would it cost to replace entire engine, since there are also wrist pin failures people have reported. Or, just figure it's a small failure rate and mine will be one of the lucky ones. What a decision, almost certain to be wrong whichever way I go.
I'm with you guys, this is the first GM vehicle because they pissed me off in the late 80's early 90's. Toyota PU's in between then and now and the wifes have also been Toyotas as well (currently a 17 highlander). In 2018 when I was looking for a new truck (toy had 325K on it and it never once left me stranded) the 2.8 was just the perfect combo. The Toyota was so dated and uncomfortable in comparison. I wanted to tow a trailer and I was looking hard at a FS but it would have been so tight in the garage. Because I have a company ride the truck had to fit in the garage because I knew it would sit for 2 weeks at a time not being used. I think for me I'm just going to roll the dice and enjoy this setup and keep up with good maintenance habits and hope for the best. If it dies I'll address that situation at that time.

While I think the turbo gasser version will be a suitable replacement when I'm done towing an RV around the country, for now this package fits my current needs. If it weren't for the EPA requirements with the count down MPH crap and the total science project after treatment exhaust system I would have one of these small diesels forever into the future.

Reactions: DeeK

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm with you guys, this is the first GM vehicle because they pissed me off in the late 80's early 90's. Toyota PU's in between then and now and the wifes have also been Toyotas as well (currently a 17 highlander). In 2018 when I was looking for a new truck (toy had 325K on it and it never once left me stranded) the 2.8 was just the perfect combo. The Toyota was so dated and uncomfortable in comparison. I wanted to tow a trailer and I was looking hard at a FS but it would have been so tight in the garage. Because I have a company ride the truck had to fit in the garage because I knew it would sit for 2 weeks at a time not being used. I think for me I'm just going to roll the dice and enjoy this setup and keep up with good maintenance habits and hope for the best. If it dies I'll address that situation at that time.

While I think the turbo gasser version will be a suitable replacement when I'm done towing an RV around the country, for now this package fits my current needs. If it weren't for the EPA requirements with the count down MPH crap and the total science project after treatment exhaust system I would have one of these small diesels forever into the future.
My thinking is that Diesel is so expensive right now maybe the wife will not want to tow the trailer anywhere. Or at least not very far. So I will roll the dice for now and just drive it.
my last 4 trucks were Ford Rangers. And there was always something wrong, nothing big just small things to keep me working on them. Brakes, balljoints, ect ect ..
But first drive of this little 2.8 and I was hooked. The low end torque is so additive. I have a heavy foot and love the way this truck pulls from a stop.
On my way to work there is a highway on ramp that has you excelerating to highway speed up a steep hill. This thing pulls so well I find myself passing cars like picket fence.. And not exceeding 3k rpm.
My Colorado was showing 1/2 a tank so I decided to fill it. $122.00 .. ouch
52,000 miles and so far it’s been very impressive. I have pulled way over max weight. Still do jackrabbit starts. Some with tires howling. It hasn’t had an easy life.
Maybe i will trade it for a New Colorado withe 2.7 in the near future.
That engine has some serious low end torque and serious HP to go with it. Should be very impressive…

1 - 13 of 13 Posts