Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More of an FYI than a question. I have looked at this forum quite a bit in the past, thought I would add some information. I was towing (at less than half my capacity) with my colorado at about 63 mph. All of a sudden, (may have been a quick noise first), I got a "low oil pressure" light, and the engine just died. We were fortunate to have enough momentum to get to an off ramp. The dealership does not seem to know why it blew. They started the tear down and a shattered piston fell out. The mother ship apparently told them to stop the tear down at that point, and they are going to send me a new engine. So far, it looks like they are going to honor their warranty. There have been no mods to the vehicle, the oil was at an appropriate level, and oil changes have all been done by the book with GM recommended oil/filter. I can update this more as this develops. Just thought I would contribute something to the forum. Hopefully this was a "one off" and not a sentinel event....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You aren't the only one I have heard of that this has happened too. However, you are one of the few with a stock truck that I have heard about, unfortunately :(

Question though, do you use a fuel additive of any kind to aid in lubrication to the diesel fuel?

Sorry for your loss. Glad that they are going to honor the warranty. I would sure hope so, you're not even to the end of the bumper to bumper warranty at 36k and you have a stock truck. I would have a fit if they denied me in that circumstance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There have actually been a few stock that have blown. Not as many as tuned however. From what I understand injector 3 failure and wrist pin failure from incorrect heat treatment are the two big ones. Sounds like the latter in your case.

I’m seriously considering getting rid of my 2.8 while it’s valued at $30k. If you keep up with the Facebook groups there are constant problems it seems. The new Jeep Gladiator is looking pretty good. Gasoline, but the engine is very reliable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pergrem: Good to know. After a brief internet search, I did not find many issues, but you probably follow it more than me. I will probably stick it out at this time. When all costs are weighed out, switching vehicles often ends up costing more in the long run, but to each their own.
Burgess 159: I don't use any fuel additives. From what I read in the manual GM seems to discourage this, and even if it was advisable, I don't want to do anything that would screw me on my warranty. However, my personal mechanic did recommend some from BG.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The manual does say that. GM also says that some oil consumption is normal and that the lean my truck has is also normal...:p

However, I haven't noticed any ill effects on my truck in 60k miles from using varying additives (finally settled on AMSOIL additives for now). Cheap insurance to make sure the fuel is lubricated. Yes I know our trucks were made to run on ULSD. They also make ammo reloading dies that are made of carbide and claim that the cases do not need to be lubricated when running cases through them. Which is true, they don't, however, it makes it much easier and I would guess that using lubrication will make the dies last longer (less resistance and wear).

Same goes in my mind for our fuel injectors: diesel fuel + more slickeryness = longer life/ happy motor :) Fuel lubrication may not even be the problem. Others have made the claim, like Pergrem said, that they believe faulty metallurgy in the wrist pins #3 injector to be the culprit for some reason. Should it be the injector, I don't wonder if the lack of lubrication might have some merit then. Hopefully GM will figure it out sooner than later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burgess159: You are probably right, but again, given potential warranty issues (for now) I will keep it by the book. They have been prying enough about the fact that I change my own oil. Good thing I keep decent records and receipts. I might revisit that AMSOIL when my warranty is up and I am on my own. If the wrist pins injector is the issue, hopefully they are getting that figured out. I don't have much of a choice about what type of engine they send me (original versus remanufactured) I am not even sure if there is a good option with the later yet considering these 2.8L diesels are relatively new. If they tell me more I will post it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Burgess159: You are probably right, but again, given potential warranty issues (for now) I will keep it by the book. They have been prying enough about the fact that I change my own oil. Good thing I keep decent records and receipts. I might revisit that AMSOIL when my warranty is up and I am on my own. If the wrist pins injector is the issue, hopefully they are getting that figured out. I don't have much of a choice about what type of engine they send me (original versus remanufactured) I am not even sure if there is a good option with the later yet considering these 2.8L diesels are relatively new. If they tell me more I will post it.
Also sorry for the loss. Scary. But I am with you on stock as a rock. One thing that woke me is "receipts". I keep all my service in an excel workbook, but have made 2 oil changes at lube centers, with Dexos 2 oil and factory filters. I am going to find my receipts (on line or in my box) and link them right on those rows in my workbook. I want to be gold with GM if it comes to that. Thanks for the wake up call.

·
Registered
624 Posts
There have actually been a few stock that have blown. Not as many as tuned however. From what I understand injector 3 failure and wrist pin failure from incorrect heat treatment are the two big ones. Sounds like the latter in your case.

I’m seriously considering getting rid of my 2.8 while it’s valued at $30k. If you keep up with the Facebook groups there are constant problems it seems. The new Jeep Gladiator is looking pretty good. Gasoline, but the engine is very reliable.
I’m thinking hard on the Gladiator as well. My only dilemma is my truck is not having all the issues that I read about. I don’t want to jump ship on what I read and later regret dumping it. On the other hand, the Jeep is calling my name like Marilyn Monroe calling JFK...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of curiosity, I was just looking at the gladiator. Looks cool... However, when trying to avoid inherent defects in vehicles this could be jumping from the pot to the frying pan so to speak. A quick search of almost all vehicles will show defects and recalls in most, if they have racked up a long enough history. Maybe we will find similar problems down the road with the gladiator, after paying big bucks for another new vehicle. The questions I have seem to be unanswerable to anyone outside of GM, or any of these companies until a vehicle has been out there for a while. What is the overall statistical incidence of these failures? What adjustments are they making on new engines if any? These companies keep this stuff hush hush because it is probably better for business, but I wish I could know the facts. It seems the only time you can get the facts on these sorts of things is years down the road when a vehicle has been out there for a while, and this stuff is made public. I would not move away from GM if I knew they were making appropriate adjustments.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Out of curiosity, I was just looking at the gladiator. Looks cool... However, when trying to avoid inherent defects in vehicles this could be jumping from the pot to the frying pan so to speak. A quick search of almost all vehicles will show defects and recalls in most, if they have racked up a long enough history. Maybe we will find similar problems down the road with the gladiator, after paying big bucks for another new vehicle. The questions I have seem to be unanswerable to anyone outside of GM, or any of these companies until a vehicle has been out there for a while. What is the overall statistical incidence of these failures? What adjustments are they making on new engines if any? These companies keep this stuff hush hush because it is probably better for business, but I wish I could know the facts. It seems the only time you can get the facts on these sorts of things is years down the road when a vehicle has been out there for a while, and this stuff is made public. I would not move away from GM if I knew they were making appropriate adjustments.
You are absolutely right about a vehicle histories. Unlike the Colorado/canyon, the gladiator is not exactly all new. It’s a truck rendition of the wrangler. It is not a new motor, drivetrain or functionality. The only different is the length and a bed. Everything else can be found in wrangler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
38k on my 17 Canyon, the only issue I’ve had ( knock on wood) was my alternator went out last year. My dealer charges just about twice as much for a oil change as it would be if I did it myself. To me it’s money well spent if I ever have engine issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same goes in my mind for our fuel injectors: diesel fuel + more slickeryness = longer life/ happy motor :)
I have proven this. Fact is, ulsd is basically destroying parts in the name of emissions. It is. Despite being on point with my fuel filters I starting getting a slight more harder idle. So I’m like ok, after going threw a check list I decided it has to be injectors. Mixed Lucas treatment with my diesel. After a 1/4 tank of miles, she idles much better. Almost new.

I cannot stress it enough to all members here. Help your injectors with the pure piss that is ulsd.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Looking at buying this stuff here soon. They only just came out with this. They have always had their Cetane Booster, their Injector Clean (lubrication) and then the All-In-One which had both of those, plus Cold Flow (anti-gel). Don't really need the Cold Flow properties in the summer months, and mixing the Cetane Booster and Injector Clean didn't seem like it would work well (different rates) and I didn't want to carry around two bottles. Thankfully, they finally came out with the combined version on their own =)

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...l-injector-clean-cetane-boost/?code=ADSPCN-EA

·
Registered
133 Posts
You don’t pay that for a gladiator unless you desperately want one. Dealers are selling at 7% under invoice. Plus you don’t need a fully maxed out one.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You don’t pay that for a gladiator unless you desperately want one. Dealers are selling at 7% under invoice. Plus you don’t need a fully maxed out one.
True, but I bought a Denali, so yeah I would by habit be looking at a rubicon that priced out to $60,350. And since it’s Southern California, no discount as of yet. Full sticker price or 5% mark up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts