Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, from The Dalles Oregon.
I've been on a truck search for the past few weeks. I need to replace my 2006 Ranger. I originally was going for the Tacoma but after learning more about them I decided to look further. We test drove two Z71, one gas one diesel. I have never ever considered a diesel but was impressed on the test drive. I'm 68 so this will probably be my last truck. We generally keep our rigs for 10 years or so. I have researched the gas vs diesel contraversy until I'm blue in the face. What I found is there is no clear answer. The 2018's will be out in October and I'm in no hurry. I want the Z71, crew cab, 4X4, diesel, etc. Buy now or wait?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you want something very specific, you might wait and order one. If not, and say you want to save a little, you might wait until winter time when the 2018's are coming out and the dealers are wanting to get rid of the 2017's and drop the price on them.

As far as the gas/ diesel debate. The diesel gets much better fuel economy. Especially if you tune them, then they get even better. And the other thing, put a trailer with some weight on behind a gas and diesel Colorado and see which one tows better and has more fuel left at the end of say a 300-500 mile trip. Diesel for sure. Hope you find one you like though!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you don't need the towing prowess, might as well go gas. No need for the extra initial cost and higher cost for maintenance. Diesel is also more than regular in most parts of the country. Hell, if I didn't need to tow, I would've bought a Miata RF instead.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ask for an opinion....

If you are really in no hurry and your heart is set on a diesel wait until early 2018 for the release of the 2019 Ford Ranger with it's 5 cylinder diesel and see what features and competitive pricing it brings to the plate. Plus if both Ford and Chevy are doing a diesel in a small PU expect Toyota and Nissan to drop one in their's (maybe, Toyota is really not very accommodating on the Tacoma since it's selling so well).

If you don't really need a diesel for towing or odd expenses the Coloranyon V6 gets only slightly less mileage and you can buy a LOT of gas for for the $3K savings for the cost of the diesel option.

Lastly I bought the Colorado diesel for the additional mileage and the futile hope that it will provide a higher resale/trade in in the end. Also the GM small truck was the only one with a diesel :( however I've had no real issues with it and it's been a kick to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts