Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping I can get some input from you all on this:

I tried to read the (what I thought was stock) TCM on my T43 in a 2016 Chevy Colorado Duramax. I ran into an error when trying to read the file and talked to my new tuner. They told me I’d have to re-link to the previous tuner’s FlashScan, then have the previous tuner send me a stock/unlocked TCM file and then Full Flash the TCM.

I have concerns with this suggestion from the new tuner as I ran into the same issue with the previous tuner, I wasn't able to read the TCM. The previous tuner's solution, back when I first started working with them, was to just send me their tuned TCM file and had me Cal Flash onto the TCM. I still remember them telling me to "do a Cal Flash and if that doesn't work try a Full Flash".... The Cal Flash didn't pop up with any errors so I thought it was all good, therefore I didn't bother trying a Full Flash on the TCM.

When I went my separate ways from the previous tuner, I Cal Flashed the Stock TCM tune that they provided and went on way.

My question is, can I just Full Flash the TCM with the new tune file and also have the new tuner send me an unlocked factory TCM file just in case I need to go back to stock? My understanding of the Auto-Lock Calibration feature is that it prevents the tunes from be read from the module. But one still can full flash over an existing tune on the module. Is this correct?

·
Registered
57 Posts
@gabeg726 I have a 2016 tuned by GDE. The tunes are locked to the VIN and can’t be pulled to prevent copying. That said, I’ve had the dealer do an update flash (without my permission) while I was 700 miles from home towing my boat while having a wheel seal repaired; I didn’t bring the tuner. I had to suck it up for the ride home and reflash once there.

Our 2016’s do not have factory locks and the ECM / TCM can be overwritten as many times as you want. Depending on where you purchased and the warranty(?) I would go to a dealer explain that you bought used and ask them to flash the most up to date files on your ECM and TCM. Once they’re done, you can pull those files off as a copy and tune it anyway you like. I hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts