Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 has 47k miles. Shifting was occasionally a bit harsh. I was planning on a fluid and filter service at 50k and did it a btt early. What a difference! Shifts (up and down) are like silk again. These transmissions run pretty warm, and evidently the fluid takes a beating.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Agree. Full synthetic fluid is the way to go.

Reactions: bigoilbob

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2017 has 47k miles. Shifting was occasionally a bit harsh. I was planning on a fluid and filter service at 50k and did it a btt early. What a difference! Shifts (up and down) are like silk again. These transmissions run pretty warm, and evidently the fluid takes a beating.
i just bought a 2021 Chevy S10 High Country which is the South American version of the Colorado Z71. It down not have the DEF fluid system but it does have the DPF. The factory ECU map is 200 Horsepower and 385 FP torque. It only has 10,000 KM / 6,000 miles. I notice when pulling out from a stop sometimes the trans seems to take a second to react and it bangs a little. I am going to mention that to the Dealer at the 20,000 Km service. I am planning to have the ECU reflashed to delete EGR, DPF and bump up the HP to 240 and torque to 440, swap out the downpipe to a high flow and remove the DPF. They also remap the transmission to match the stage 2 tune. No vehicle inspection at all in any of the south American countries. I am going to wait until it reached 40,000 km before i do any mods. Truck video here

·
Registered
367 Posts
what trans fluid do you recommend? I am planning a cross country trip soon and will be at about 30,000 miles when I leave. Thinking maybe I should change it out before I leave.
Full syn for certain, but beyond that I should defer to posters who have either boned up on product specs, or - somehow - have a statistically significant data base of fluids versus problems.

But I'd do it if I were you. I'm jealous of those with those who knew enough to do an infant change out. I'm way into what would be considered "hard use" maintenance, but that first early change out has to be a good idea.

·
Registered
580 Posts
what trans fluid do you recommend? I am planning a cross country trip soon and will be at about 30,000 miles when I leave. Thinking maybe I should change it out before I leave.
This is what GM now uses. I have found it anywhere between $44 a case up to it's current price. I was looking at it daily and I found the price fluctuated two to three time daily. Just make sure it's the "BLUE" label fluid not the black label.

·
Registered
580 Posts
SFLTruck
After some looking around you are exactly right, not that I doubted you, I just needed to do my own homework. Thanks much. If you are in S FL do you have a dealership to recommend? I don't want to drive back to Tampa where I bought the truck and the dealers in my area don't sell alot of these trucks( that's why I bought in Tampa). Also just to be clear I have the 6 speed 6l50 trans, is this still the correct fluid? I can confirm it is for the 8 speed in the gassers, however it is vauge in the 6 speed world.
That's funny on you going to Tampa I did the same thing, Ferman Chevrolet to be exact. I can't answer on the dealer because mine has only seen the Tampa dealer leaving the parking lot. I handle all my maintenance on my own, I'm in the north end of PB county. If you do find one you like let me know just in case.

There are a few here who had a flush by the dealers on the 6l50 and they used the Mobile HP. I also added a PML pan to mine for towing reasons, and because it has a drain plug. When I put the pan on (about 7K miles ago) I did a complete fluid swap with the Mobile fluid. What I can say is before I made it out of the driveway and couldn't believe how much smoother the trans shifted from 1st to 2nd. Now it up shifts and down shifts way better with the fluid swap, it's silky smooth. I only had about 10K on mine when I did the swap. Because I knew I would be towing, I was concerned with the factory fluid and possibly developing a shutter pulling a 6Klb trailer. This is the reason I decided to be proactive and do a fluid swap.

PS: I also drained the rear diif and that stuff was nasty and had the consistency of Mayonnaise. JUST AN FYI.......

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks so much for the input. I also bought from Ferman Chevrolet, small world. They obviously sell a lot of trucks and hoping they may have a decent service department competent with the Colorado. I too try to do my own maintenance as I don't trust most of the dealerships I have encountered, No one cares about my truck as much as I do so I try to do as much as I can. I am experiencing hard and erratic shifts on mine and thinking I might get a flush on them, then continue with my own routine. I will change my diff on your suggestion.
So how does your truck handle 6K trailer? I am looking at travel trailers.
The flush was pretty easy, easier if you're not changing out the pan. I just removed the passenger side line on the cooler at the radiator. I used two clean 5 gallon mud buckets, put clear plastic line on each used a $10 pump from amazon. I put 20 quarts in one bucket and started the truck the trans pump started dumping into the second bucket. I let about a quart get in the "old" bucket and started the pump and replaced the same amount from the clean new bucket. It was real easy to see the color change of the fluid in the "OLD" bucket when the new fluid made it all the way through the trans, lines and cooler into the bucket. I topped it all off and life is good. I also added a Lokar dipstick so I can check and add fluid from the top side if ever needed. I changed the trans filter and cut the old one open, it was actually really clean but I had already had one on hand so it got changed as well.

If you change you diff fluid make sure if you have a Eaton G-80 locker you use the factory fluid. If you use something else it will most likely have an "LS" additive. The additive will not let the locker work correctly. The newer GM fluid listed below is a full synthetic and is not expensive whatsoever.

As far as towing goes the truck tows like a champ. My buddy has a new F-150 with the 3.5 echo and I am always 5 to 8 miles better a gallon then he is with the same size trailer. It's not going to win any races off the line but it really shines where it needs too at hwy speeds. I hang at 70mph on 95 and it's no problem. I also added a set of airbags and that really makes things really comfortable. I also added a 36 gallon Titan fuel tank which I love.

Reactions: Franklin T
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.