Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to changing the transfer case and front differential fluids in my truck. The transfer case fluid came out looking decent, but the front differential was absolutely awful looking. There was a good amount of gunk/ metal shavings stuck to the drain plug that has the magnet on it. I really wish I would have changed it sooner, back when I did the transmission and rear differential at 46k miles as the truck has 85k on it now. I don't recall the rear differential fluid looking so bad when I did it. And the 4 wheel drive doesn't get used all that much, although it does run in 4 Auto a lot in the winter, so....I changed them out with AMSOIL products. So, if you haven't done your fluids yet, I would really recommend doing it.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
I'll be doing all the fluids in few weeks. Sitting at 58,800 miles now.

Reactions: Burgess159

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thinking of going whole hog and adding the Lokar dipstick and a PML trans pan which has a drain plug. Then future drain/fills and fluid level and condition inspection will be easy.

$400 for both items (which the truck really should come with from the factory) is stiff, but it sure would be a nice pair of upgrades.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thinking of going whole hog and adding the Lokar dipstick and a PML trans pan which has a drain plug. Then future drain/fills and fluid level and condition inspection will be easy.

$400 for both items (which the truck really should come with from the factory) is stiff, but it sure would be a nice pair of upgrades.
Dang you finding things for me to spend money on! I was considering the Lokar dipstick but didn't know about the trans pan :(

I just added myself to the PML mailing list for the stock height/depth pan when they get that done as my truck is not lifted and I don't need to be offering anything else to the rock gods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
changed my differential fluids at 46k about the same as Burgess159, noticed the same oil condition. rear diff looked good, front diff had a noticeable amount of gunk/metal in it. trans fluid was changed at the same time, and while a little dark, still looked good. some towing and 4wd use, but nothing serious. have installed an auxillary trans cooler and lokar dipstick as well...

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
I didn't find a listing for a 6L50 dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
Good to know

·
Registered
42 Posts
i bought a lokar, part number XTD-36L80 FM36 purchased mine from Speedway Motors for $109, which is the 36" Lokar Black Stainless Steel version that is made to fit the 6L80 transmission. i had read that the 6L80 and our 6L50 uses the same black fill plug. it fit tight, no worries of it coming out or leaking, but I fabricated a bracket to make sure it stays put.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I changed fluids in both diffs and the transfer case at 7,700 mi mainly to catch any manufacturing debris. All looked good, and I feel better about going the distance with them now. I then took the truck to an excellent, ASE techs, shop and had the transmission power flushed for the same reason. Same results. Good to go! While the truck was on the lift, I had the Lokar dipstick installed following in the tracks of an 'out of the box' wrench on coloradofans! Now I know how levels are from the top! Also great for sampling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, for $400, I'd have to go into the 'flushing' business to justify that cost for only my personal use every 45,000mi or so. I intend to go longer with my fluid as the 45,000 mi recommendation for changing in the Manual is for 'severe service'. That's not me; I don't tow. I am using Blackstone to monitor my fluid on a sampling cycle of every 3-4 engine oil changes to determine if or when the fluid should be changed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone installed the B&M dipstick on their diesel? They make two models: a 22168 that fits the 6L80 series and the 22173 that fits the 8L90 series transmissions. They seem to be identical except for the knob mounting bracket. Got a query into B&M as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anyone installed the B&M dipstick on their diesel? They make two models: a 22168 that fits the 6L80 series and the 22173 that fits the 8L90 series transmissions. They seem to be identical except for the knob mounting bracket. Got a query into B&M as well.
I installed this one on mine...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Reactions: SFLTruck
1 - 15 of 15 Posts