Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you think the new Colorado Diesel will stack up against the 2016 Toyota Tacoma?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The new Tacomas have really stepped up their interior game. I want to go check them out first hand and see the difference in the new Taco.

If it had been last year, the Taco would be blown out of the water as far as interior goes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tacoma is the rival.....put a Diesel in it and it will take off......for now the Canyon/Colorado Rocks the Industry........Good Job GM.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
My colleague bought a Tacoma 4X4 one month before I found my Colorado. He is impressed with it and it IS a nice, well built rig. Honestly, I would have bought one if I wasn't making a 122 mile daily commute and looking at putting 200K or more on it in 10 years. He is averaging 22 MPG, I am getting 29+ and I was able to get more bells and whistles for the money. No regrets with the Chevy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I came very close to buying a 2016 Tacoma last week when my wife bought her new 4runner. They are very nice updated trucks but after riding in the canyon with the duramax I decided to buy it instead. Tacomas are great trucks and always have great resale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you think the new Colorado Diesel will stack up against the 2016 Toyota Tacoma?
No comparison. Went from 1986 6.2L Diesel (still have) and 2002 Duramax (loved, but too damn big for urban living) and then purchased a 2007 4WD Tacoma loaded, large V6. First trip across country we netted 11mpg. Kept it until VW perfected their TDI technology--bought a Touareg in 2011. Like a 3/4 beast of a truck, hauls like a semi and drives like a sportscar, but ---expensive German technology. That, the recall (we expect 100-110% of market for buyback), and the fact that I've been waiting for GM to make another small diesel truck since my '86 turned 300K mi...............I pick up my new Colorado today!! Tacoma was a nice truck---I did like it a lot, but the fuel economy had me ditching it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is only one small Toyota truck worth mentioning and that would be the HiLux which is available everywhere in the world except the USA. It is available with a Diesel engine that is built by Toyota. The Tacoma is built for Home Depot and Lowe's trips. It does not compare to the HiLux. The HiLux has a full box chassis and is built to last. The HiLux is a much better looking truck than the Tacoma which has a styling that is " out there". IMHO

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is only one small Toyota truck worth mentioning and that would be the HiLux which is available everywhere in the world except the USA. It is available with a Diesel engine that is built by Toyota. The Tacoma is built for Home Depot and Lowe's trips. It does not compare to the HiLux. The HiLux has a full box chassis and is built to last. The HiLux is a much better looking truck than the Tacoma which has a styling that is " out there". IMHO
Man, it is like y'all are reading my mind. This was exactly the 2 trucks i was looking at before choosing the Colorado Diesel last week.My decision making was based on 2 points. 1- Diesel engine and 2. Pricing. Toyotos are too proud and they typically won't lower their price too much. Everywhere i looked the Tacoma's where several $thous higher.
No regrets so far. Withe the money i saved over getting a Tacoma, already ordered my first mods. Hard tonneau cover, tool box and some LED white strobe lights on the headlamps and rear for highway construction job i work at.

Now that i saw the new Army ZH2 prototype i want to make mine look similar to that look. next thing will be a lift kit and better tires and reem in about 2 years when i hit 60K miles and the stock tires are about to go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been a very loyal Toyota guy for many years. I have actually had close to a dozen of them. I drove the 16 Tacoma with the intentions of getting one to replace my 13. I wanted to try the Canyon diesel before I made the choice. I am here to tell you the GM vehicles are much nicer to drive and higher quality interior. I now proudly own a 16 Canyon diesel. Resale and reliability are yet to be seen is the only questions left in the air for me.
I use my trucks a lot off road. I will have Fab four bumper and winch installed this week to compliment the lift and tires on my Canyon. I am really hoping the Canyon is a capable as the Tacoma's have been. But I will be fine having to use a winch more often if needed. That is a fair trade for the nice vehicle and quality of the Canyon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
'Plainer than a popcorn fart' -Toyota is too conservative, I have had a few new Yotas now, it is fine if you want a work truck or a mall crawler, but as soon as they hit the gravel the dealer's start making excuses about how any problems are your fault. I add armor/protection to keep damages to a minimum, but that is a whole other post. Anyway, Toyotas whole grasp on the US market is waning more by the day as other manufacturers start to actually listen to what the consumers want, then they provide it. This Chevy is not perfect, but they hit the mark where it counts in the drivetrain. Hopefully more suspension upgrade options will come available soon too. I bought this diesel Chevy as my vote to show the manufacturers that the US yearns for more diesels in the market, and we'll buy em too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts