Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 GMC Canyon with 2.8 liter duramax with about 72,000 miles. Had quite the adventure on the camping trip we just got back from. About half way into our 200 mile trip towing a 4500 lb camper i get the message "Cleaning exhaust filer, must keep driving. So of course i drove the 100 or so miles to our destination and that message stayed on the whole time. Then i made one trip about 20 miles one way into town without the camper and the message came back on right away. Tried to get it into the dealership but they had no available appts. So hooked the camper back up started back home and the truck still had the message then went into low power mode and check engine light, thankfully we were not quite to the interstate yet so we were able to find a campground nearby that had a spot available and we could do nothing else cause it was July 4th. Was able to watch the fireworks so that was a bonus. Next morning (yesterday) got into the service line at the dealership, told them my situation and they were thankfully able to work me in. They did a manual regen there and sent me on my way. Towed my camper 200 miles back home with no issue. I hope that was all that was needed cause we have another camping trip even longer next week and more rural so i hope no more issues with this but reading other posts i am a little concerned. Also my normal driving is probably 80% highway and 20% city. Thanks for any insight you all can give.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a 2017 GMC Canyon with 2.8 liter duramax with about 72,000 miles. Had quite the adventure on the camping trip we just got back from. About half way into our 200 mile trip towing a 4500 lb camper i get the message "Cleaning exhaust filer, must keep driving. So of course i drove the 100 or so miles to our destination and that message stayed on the whole time. Then i made one trip about 20 miles one way into town without the camper and the message came back on right away. Tried to get it into the dealership but they had no available appts. So hooked the camper back up started back home and the truck still had the message then went into low power mode and check engine light, thankfully we were not quite to the interstate yet so we were able to find a campground nearby that had a spot available and we could do nothing else cause it was July 4th. Was able to watch the fireworks so that was a bonus. Next morning (yesterday) got into the service line at the dealership, told them my situation and they were thankfully able to work me in. They did a manual regen there and sent me on my way. Towed my camper 200 miles back home with no issue. I hope that was all that was needed cause we have another camping trip even longer next week and more rural so i hope no more issues with this but reading other posts i am a little concerned. Also my normal driving is probably 80% highway and 20% city. Thanks for any insight you all can give.
If it were me I would check all inlet and exhaust connections to make sure you don't have any leaks. The intake rubber tube from the turbo to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the engine intake. Insure none of the plastic tubing on the intake side is compromised with hairline cracks. Any leaks will generate excess soot and the DPF will hit with it. Also check the nuts on the turbocharger itself. They are known to loosen up and with 72K miles on yours that could also present an issue as well.

If you find anything out of order let us know It could help another member.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I inspected all those areas and didn’t see anything. Thanks for the suggestion on that. Also I did another trip with the camper (800 plus miles this time and no more DPF issues.). Although even with an auxiliary tranny cooler installed the check engine light came on and kicked the tow haul mode off.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I inspected all those areas and didn’t see anything. Thanks for the suggestion on that. Also I did another trip with the camper (800 plus miles this time and no more DPF issues.). Although even with an auxiliary tranny cooler installed the check engine light came on and kicked the tow haul mode off.
Did it set a DTC ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not but i think i just found the problem. The stupid Dexos logo is confusing and i have been using Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil the whole time i have owned this truck (2 years and 40,000 miles). it is a 2017 with 74000 miles on it total. I just changed it out this morning to actual Dexos 2 5w30.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I did not but i think i just found the problem. The stupid Dexos logo is confusing and i have been using Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil the whole time i have owned this truck (2 years and 40,000 miles). it is a 2017 with 74000 miles on it total. I just changed it out this morning to actual Dexos 2 5w30.
Yup that idiotic labeling sucks to say the least. The problem is your DPF is probably going to need some attention. Either an off vehicle cleaning or replacement. If you find you're doing more then one regen per tank of fuel you may need to address it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are Harness issues that the dealer fix and rerouted wiring that fix my problem. See if they checked the wiring. It's a known issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this same exact problem, at around 80k miles. Couldn't get it to clear the message no matter how much I drove. Did some research about the the regen system found there's a "forced regen mode". Took it to a shop, guy hooked up the computer, found the force regen setting, parked it outside with hood open as instructed. Truck winds up to around 2500 rpm and holds it for what seems like 10 minutes and burns all that crap off the DPF (exhaust feels crazy hot). $60 and 10 minutes later she's still running at 150k miles

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts