Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum so I apologize if this has been discussed. I just traded my tacoma in for a chevy colorado zr2, the truck has approx 46700 miles and I have noticed a weird clicking/tapping sound at idle. The sound is coming from the driver side front wheel well and can be heard easily from a distance. Seems to get louder as rpms increase but I'm not sure if its mechanical or something vibrating? With the research I've done I've only come up with two culprits, rather my injection pump is going bad or my tranny mount is coming apart? Ill post a video that is exactly of the same as mine sounds that i found on youtube and add my own video tomorrow. Was hoping someone could help lead me in the right direction as to what the problem is? I have no lose of power or any issues running wise. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome, I don't hear anything strange. I don't know if you have driven any common rail diesels but at 29,000 PSI of fuel rail pressure it just sounds like injector activity to me. Or maybe I'm just not hearing what your hearing...

Maybe your video will pick up the sound your hearing better then this video.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, I don't hear anything strange. I don't know if you have driven any common rail diesels but at 29,000 PSI of fuel rail pressure it just sounds like injector activity to me. Or maybe I'm just not hearing what your hearing...

Maybe your video will pick up the sound your hearing better then this video.
Ive owned older diesels, 24v cummins, lmm duramax but just thought this sound was odd and wanted to make sure it was nothing serious before my warranty expires. Heres the video from my truck. The sound my be hard too hear but it reminds me of something similar to a lifter. Let me know what you think, could just be me thinking it sounds off.

https://youtu.be/PIYfMu1geKU

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ive owned older diesels, 24v cummins, lmm duramax but just thought this sound was odd and wanted to make sure it was nothing serious before my warranty expires. Heres the video from my truck. The sound my be hard too hear but it reminds me of something similar to a lifter. Let me know what you think, could just be me thinking it sounds off.

https://youtu.be/PIYfMu1geKU

Yup I hear that much better then the other video. I hear mine with that same rhythm but I don't think it's as loud. I would bring it in just to be sure and see if they have another 2.8 on the lot you can listen to see if it's similar to yours.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im bringing the truck in to the dealer next week to get it looked at. Im just hoping they actually take a look at the noise and don't jerk me around. Was hoping someone knew of what it could possibly be?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh I couldn't agree more.
Well as annoying as it may be, if you feel like one dealer is not doing it for you, then I would go find another. The big question is do they have a diesel guy on staff and one who's competent.
Good luck !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts