Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

There seems a lot of unknown surrounding the emissions equipment and how the E98 ECM found in the Colorado / Canyon monitors and decides when to initiate its DPF Regeneration Strategies.

The ECM utilizes a pressure differential sensor to constantly monitor the pressure drop or difference PRE and POST the DPF Filter itself. As use of the vehicle continues, soot is collected in the tiny cells of the DPF. The rate at which soot collects varies with the power demands placed on the engine.

As the DPF becomes clogged or restricted, the pressure on the PRE side increases because of back pressure due to the restriction of the exhaust gas flow through the DPF. When the exhaust pressure difference has increased above a calibrated threshold, a high particulate loading condition is indicated, and the ECM will command a regeneration event in order to restore the filter.

Below are only a portion of the list of available tables / control switches that can be edited to control the E98 DPF Regeneration Trigger and Regeneration Strategies.

• Control Switch: Enable / Disable Differential Pressure Monitoring.
  • MAP: Calibration table that contains the lower value to determine fan power required for the corresponding pressure with the Compressor off and not requested or in engine not running conditions with a clutch-based A/C system, where n = 0 to 16.
  • MAP: Used to enable or disable the activation of the HUM diagnostic.
  • MAP: This flag, when TRUE enables ambient correction, when FALSE mission profile and DPF Load correction on fuel threshold.
  • MAP: Regeneration priority for time elapsed since last regeneration over threshold.
  • MAP: This flag, when TRUE enables ambient correction, when FALSE mission profile and DPF Load correction on time threshold.
  • MAP: Threshold to trigger regeneration for distance covered since last regeneration.
  • MAP: This flag, when TRUE enables ambient correction, when FALSE mission profile and DPF Load correction on distance threshold.
  • MAP: Regeneration priority for distance covered since last regeneration over threshold.
  • MAP: Lower threshold for the distance covered since the last regeneration has stopped that disable the trap flow resistance calculation.
  • MAP: Enable mean DPF inlet temperature during regeneration calculation.
  • MAP: Enable mean distance coverage since last regeneration calculation.
  • MAP: Percent of oil ash in the trap based on odometer. X Axis: Odometer values used to index DPF Oil Ash.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 0 (Loading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 1 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 1 (Loading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 1 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 2 (Loading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 1 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 3 (Loading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 1 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 0 (Unloading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 0 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 1 (Unloading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 0 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 2 (Unloading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 0 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Calibratable array, associated to Hybrid 3 (Unloading phase) soot model, composed by a number of elements equal to the number of core models. Inside this vector the I element is TRUE if the hybrid 0 uses the core I, otherwise it is FALSE.
  • MAP: Array to determine the weight for the instantaneous soot loaded in the trap
  • MAP: Array calibration (mission profile dependent) that indicates the maximum regeneration duration in order to force the regeneration deactivation.
  • MAP: Enables/disables the Differential pressure sensor rate limiter
  • MAP: Enables/disables the Differential pressure sensor monitoring.
  • MAP: Enables/disables the differential pressure sensor quick change monitoring.
As you can see there are other factors besides the pressure differential that causes the E98 to perform a Regeneration such as distance travelled since last Regeneration.

You cannot edit these tables via EFI Live or HPT Tuners, unless you know the exact address in the raw .bin file that is downloaded from your ECM.

This is usually visualized using a HEX Editor and if you don’t know what your doing, it just looks like a bunch of gibberish. In addition to this, the Operating System numbers also change from year to year for most GM vehicles as to does the addresses of each of these tables in most case.

If you know happen to know the address via by being a GM insider or reserve engineer things then you can add the address to something like a .cax file with EFI Live which will then allow you to edit your calibration “tune” in your ECM.

For the average user, this is super complicated, and mistakes can result in corruption of the OS and bricking your ECM.

If you are still looking to move on with the DPF / EGR removal, sometime one Optimal Remapfiles can perform this for yourself.

Cheers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts