Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new to this forum thing. Though I decided to write my situation. Basically I purchased the 2.8 z71 4x4 diesel. It broke down on me at mile 1200. My dash was reading engine power reduced. Luckily I was near the dealership. After driving 20mph on a busy freeway for 10 miles, I finally made it. The turbo charge has a faulty solenoid. It's been in the shop for 10 days and counting. My last two trucks were tacomas. My last tx pro Tacoma was amazing. 85k miles and not a problem. Unfortunately it only had an access cab, I need a four door/crew cab because of a new addition to my family. So I had to exchange it. Now I have a car high car payment on a car that has been in the shop for almost as long as I have owned it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this forum thing. Though I decided to write my situation. Basically I purchased the 2.8 z71 4x4 diesel. It broke down on me at mile 1200. My dash was reading engine power reduced. Luckily I was near the dealership. After driving 20mph on a busy freeway for 10 miles, I finally made it. The turbo charge has a faulty solenoid. It's been in the shop for 10 days and counting. My last two trucks were tacomas. My last tx pro Tacoma was amazing. 85k miles and not a problem. Unfortunately it only had an access cab, I need a four door/crew cab because of a new addition to my family. So I had to exchange it. Now I have a car high car payment on a car that has been in the shop for almost as long as I have owned it. The dealership has given me a rental pick up for work, should I be asking anything more?
I have no experiance in this, but it seems like they are doing right by you. It seem you might have just been lucky to get a bad soleenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no experiance in this, but it seems like they are doing right by you. It seem you might have just been lucky to get a bad soleenoid.
A faulty solenoid means I need a whole new turbo charge. Which is a part that isn't readily assessible. It just sucks dropping 48k for a truck and having it breakdown in the first month. My confidence in the realiability is shattered. I just hope more problems don't show up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a Dodge Dakota that didn't make it out of sight of the dealership and transfer case locked up. They had it 6 weeks. Toyotas are not flawless either and under powered. Owned a few.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes hope it gets fixed. I have had no issues on mine and now at 3400 miles in 5 weeks. The new Tacomas many are having issues also and wanting buy backs also on some. Its just someone sometimes gets one with a problem but usually fixed and good with all them most the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2016 Colorado that I bought as a work truck for my junk removal business, and out of no where I started getting "water in fuel" readings. I took it to my diesel mechanic and they drained a ridiculous amount of water and the light went off. Later that day after doing a local job, the light came back on and about two hours later the truck died on me on the interstate. I had OnStar tow it to the nearest dealership and half of my gas is contaminated with water. The dealership is trying to claim that it must have gotten in there when I last pumped gas, but that's highly unlikely considering I get gas at a major station where all of the local businesses have their tractor trailers fill-up, and the station has received zero complaints about water in the fuel.

Bottom line... not too happy with this truck thus far.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have a new 2016 Colorado that I bought as a work truck for my junk removal business, and out of no where I started getting "water in fuel" readings. I took it to my diesel mechanic and they drained a ridiculous amount of water and the light went off. Later that day after doing a local job, the light came back on and about two hours later the truck died on me on the interstate. I had OnStar tow it to the nearest dealership and half of my gas is contaminated with water. The dealership is trying to claim that it must have gotten in there when I last pumped gas, but that's highly unlikely considering I get gas at a major station where all of the local businesses have their tractor trailers fill-up, and the station has received zero complaints about water in the fuel.

They found water? How is that your trucks fault? Lemme help you. It's not the trucks fault.

Water gets in the underground fuel tanks. There is always water in the tanks. the station should have a monitoring system to tell them how much water is in the tank. It's either done by hand with water finding paste and a tank stick or it's done electronically with a veeder root or like system

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Did it rain a bunch that day after you went and got it drained and then went to your job? I mean, if it did, perhaps there is a bad seal or something on your fuel tank and water leaked in.

I would still tend to agree though with rockcrawler and cuongdyna. You might want to run something, a fuel additive if you're going to keep getting fuel from the same place, when you fill up. I think Lucas Oil makes something, and I know there is that Heet product that removes/ neutralizes water in fuel. I would do that and see if it helps. A real way to tell though would be try getting fuel at a different station and see if the problem continues. If it does, either you do have an issue with your fuel tank letting water in, or you just got unlucky twice now and got a station with a lot of water in the fuel x] Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A faulty solenoid means I need a whole new turbo charge. Which is a part that isn't readily assessible. It just sucks dropping 48k for a truck and having it breakdown in the first month. My confidence in the realiability is shattered. I just hope more problems don't show up.
You've had one issue, Chevrolet sounds like it's working hard to fix the issue,...and your confidence in the reliability is shattered....sigh.

Overall there haven't been major reoccurring issues reported with the Chevy Colorado.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It does suck to have something break like that. But it is nice that they have the service to back up their products and take care of their customers when things like this happen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys i'm new to the sight and have been reading the treads. I have a 2016 Z71 crew cab 4x4. I bough it in August of 16 knowing that it is the first generation mid size diesel and that unexpected problems may occur. For me it was worth it. It has been in the shop once for the driver side half shaft coming loose and rubbing it was covered under warranty. Since then i have had no issues and have 23550 on the truck. I use it as a daily commuter and towing my boat to the lake. With that said it does suck buying a new truck and not being able to drive it. GM will take care of the issues that is one reason I went with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"My confidence in the realiability is shattered."
You unfortunately had one problem. How can your confidence in the reliability be shattered? If you had problems over and over, then I would agree. One problem that isn't reported widespread by other owners isn't a reason to have shattered confidence. I own a 2017 Chevy Colorado with the Duramax engine. No problems so far after 5,000 miles. I've been averaging just around 31 mpg on the highway. There is slight turbo lag, but that's to be expected with a diesel. I don't have to mash the pedal to the floor to get the truck up to highway speed. All in all I'm glad I bought the Colorado with the diesel engine. It's a great truck.

·
Registered
128 Posts

MAJOR FUEL STATIONS HAVE TO REFILL THEIR TANKS MORE OFTEN THAT SMALLER STATIONS. WHEN THEY ARE REFILLING THE TANKS, THE FUEL POURING IN CAN STIR UP THE WATER AND MIX IT WITH THE FUEL WHICH CAN TAKE A FEW MINUTES, TO A FEW HOURS TO SETTLE AT THE BOTTOM AGAIN. I NEVER FILL MY TRUCK IF I SEE A FUEL TRUCK AT, OR EVEN LEAVING THE FUEL STATION.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I know this is an older thread. But something that happened here to one of our trucks at work and I thought I would share since it is somewhat related.

It is a 2003 F-350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke. It got to where it would crank and crank and crank and would not start. Was around 40-50 degrees and we had it plugged in for good measure too and it still wouldn't. We took it to the shop and just got it back yesterday finally. The mechanic told us that we need to not run the truck low on fuel which was a big reason the truck had quit running; the mechanic had found the fuel tank to have a bunch of water in it.

The main reason for that he said is if we run the truck low on fuel a lot and the tank drawing condensation. We have a few employees who are notorious for running them down to almost empty....I guess it is worse when you have a metal fuel tank, but it still can happen with poly tanks as well. It also probably doesn't help if you get fuel from a station that doesn't get new fuel regularly as they will have the same issue with their underground tanks drawing condensation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have to agree with the above thread. Once my vehicles get down to a half tank and they are going to be parked for an extended amount of time, they get topped-off. Especially during the summer months when the humidity is high. Hell, even when the sleds went up for the summer or motorcycles during the winter, they got filled all the way to the top to take up any "space" in the fuel tanks were water could form. Just my .02 worth. MADMAC:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have to remember ANYTHING MAN MADE IS SUBJECT TO BREAK.
At least the dealer is working to fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Drove mine off the lot got a check engine light On the way home. Took it straight back. Dealership fixed it right away. Bad O2 sensor. Picked it back up check engine light came on again on the way home. Took it back another bad O2 sensor. The dealership services a lot of vehicles for me they take care of us. So no reason to believe they were fibbing. Sometimes things just happen this way. Haven’t had any issues since. I love the truck. I figure someone was juggling with O2 sensors and dropped them on the way to my truck. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Drove mine off the lot got a check engine light On the way home. Took it straight back. Dealership fixed it right away. Bad O2 sensor. Picked it back up check engine light came on again on the way home. Took it back another bad O2 sensor. The dealership services a lot of vehicles for me they take care of us. So no reason to believe they were fibbing. Sometimes things just happen this way. Haven’t had any issues since. I love the truck. I figure someone was juggling with O2 sensors and dropped them on the way to my truck. :)
Glad you have good service like that. That might drive me nuts if it kept doing that. Glad you like the truck otherwise though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts