Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone . Newbie here . Finally pulled the trigger in May . 2017 Canyon , SLT , 4x4 , 4 door , long bed , (Diesel of course ) , spray in bed liner , otherwise completely stock .
Bought the truck from Laura GMC . GREAT people , price , selection . I live in Wichita Falls , TX . No one in this area had any selection , no deals on $$ .
Anyway , on to towing thoughts . I have owned Tacomas , Tundra (4.7) , F250 Powerstroke , Titan , last tow vehicle 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door ( modified ) .
I currently pull a Forest River 19RR toy hauler , 4100 lbs empty , load equalizer hitch , sway control .
I tow in Tx twice a month with the rig loaded to 5500 lbs for 150 miles . Just got back from Taylor Park , Colorado with load of 5100 lbs . Raton Pass 7800 ft , La Veta Pass 9400 ft .
This truck is wonderful !! Set cruise on 70 , let her run. MPG 10 to 14 . Easy 55 up both passes , and only touched the brakes to set the exhaust brake coming down . Handles fine , only wish it had a 25 gal tank.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on your new 2.8L! I do agree on the fuel tank size. An optional larger tank would have been nice. My 2013 F150 5.0 had the optional 36 gal tank.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
A larger tank would be nice. Never thought of that until now though =) I think the 2500HD's come with (or used to) a 26 gallon tank. Probably not a lot of room under there though with the DEF tank and the compact truck size.

We also bought our truck at Laura Buick GMC there in Collinsville. I think a lot of people come from pretty far away to buy from them, since they have such a selection and lower prices. We only live an hour and a half away so wasn't quite the drive your's was :)

Good to know that the truck handles so well going up and down steeper grades with a loaded trailer on behind it too.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Noticed what your trans temps were during those tows? I also tow in the south and I tow between 5600-6000lb depending on spares/camping gear im bringing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry , hit post before I typed . If I remember , 222 was the max for a short time in Tx . This would have thrown a code on my jeep . From listening to everyone talk here , this seems ok .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everything I read here makes me feel like we made the right decision. We tow a high wall pop up, about 3700lbs loaded, tall enough closed you can't see over it. Doing 70 between Green Bay and Milwaukee we averaged 19.2 mpg! On a recent three day that included two days of city driving then a bit over 100 miles at 75 on the freeway we got 29.2 combined! We plan to get a heaver trailer (5500 plus load of about 500) and tow at or below 65mph on the freeway. I have a weight distributing hitch (you're nuts if you don't use one when you tow) and will match a new one to that trailer. Assuming we keep an eye on the transmission temps and maybe change the trans fluid more often in the future, I think we're in good shape.

I don't think there is another vehicle in this class for the combination of towing, 4 wheel capability, overall mileage, and size/maneuverability for city driving. It checks all the boxes and so far, it has been every bit as advertised.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recently pulled a 7000 pound ish trailer from about 4000 feet elevation to 9000 feet over a 16 mile distance. Trans temp was about 195 when I started and climbed steadily to 230 before I reached the peak and headed down the other side of the mountain. During the descent if fell pretty quick with the engine brake working just about the whole way done about 10 miles. It pulled great but I stayed between 45 and 50 for the entire climb. I was quite impressed with it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mike, by the way, I purchased my Canyon at Laura GMC as well. The selection is amazing there. I have an uncle in Oregon and he says there is a dealer out that way with even more trucks. That is hard to imagine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your Uncle may not realize the sheer size of Laura GMC. Laura has more Sierra trucks than the COMBINED inventory of new and used vehicles that the Oregon dealer has.
Laura is one of 5 Dealers that size. whats crazy, is that its still not the biggest by a significant margain

(assuming he is talking about BUICK GMC OF BEAVERTON, which is the largest GM dealer in Oregon)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts